Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

Earplugs for motorcycle riding

6K views 27 replies 10 participants last post by  roadpouring 
#1 ·
Hey fellow riders! I just watched this video about Big Ear filtered custom motorcycle earplugs and I want to know if any of you here tried their products. I'd love to get myself a pair but I want to know if they're great first. Any other recommendation? Thanks!

#3 · (Edited)
ruger:

https://www.daytondailynews.com/new...ill-passed-ohio-house/sLKvBeMkIj0OPhR0LkvzUK/

I wear earplugs all the time, and don’t care if it’s FN illegal or not because my hearing is more important than a idiotic law.
I’ve heard mixed reviews about the Big Ear plugs. A few said they seemed noisier than regular foam plugs. Some liked them, but also admitted they didn’t live up to their hype.

I use the “generic” foam plugs, for two reasons, One • They work fine for me, and don’t hurt over time. Two• I get them free at work. ;)

I also use earbud type sound canceling earphones on occasion to listen to music. The ones I have cut outside noise by 32db thus meaning I don’t have to have the volume up high to hear the music.

As someone with hearing loss already, I’m a pretty big advocate for riders wearing hearing protection.

#24 ·
:doh: stick me in poop and call me stinky! stupid Ruger!

I knew that there was a Bill that they were trying to pass here in Ohio, about that. well I guess it did finally pass and became a Law.
the thing is, it didn't pass until right around the time my bike was out of commission and I have done next to no riding the last two years. :frown2: so, even if I did know this bill had become law and it was now legal to use ear plugs while riding, I had nothing to ride to use ear plugs for. therefor, I still have no info for the use of ear plugs while riding. :doh: lol

but, thank you, KM, for bringing that to my attention. now I know. :smiley_th

#5 ·
Actually thorn it only applies to listening devices:

“Florida Statute 316.304 states that no person shall operate a vehicle while wearing a headset, headphone, or other listening device, other than a hearing aid or instrument for the improvement of defective human hearing.”

It be pretty easy to argue wearing hearing PROTECTION would be for the “improvement of defective human hearing”

As the law specifically only talks about “listening devices” ear plugs are not mentioned.

#7 ·
Most people don't know I'm wearing ear plugs, because they aren't viable under my helmet. :grin2:

I always wear them for rides over 10 minutes long, or whenever I'm going above 45 mph. I love my hearing too much to skip on them.

I use the foam type for the same reason. Comfortable, and free at work. I keep a pair either in my pocket or in my helmet.

#9 ·
Hate to tell you this, but just because your helmet “covers your ears” doesn’t mean they aren’t exposed to hearing damaging noise. Tests on Full Face helmets showed sound at the eardrum easily reached 85 db at 55mph. It doesn’t need to sound loud to you to be harmful. And it’s not the sound of the bike, it’s the noise of the air rushing by. As it’s “white noise” it doesn’t seem loud to you.

A few minutes exposure won’t be an issue, but it’s that level over time that does the damage. Unrepairable damage I should add. A one hour cruise through the country will have done its harm, but you might not notice it for years.

The longer you ride unprotected results in increased hearing loss as you get older. Along with tinnitus, 30 years of riding have left me with ears that badly need hearing aids just to converse in public.
Don’t think that simply because you hear fine now it he damage isn’t occurring.

#11 ·
Oh trust me I’m aware of the effects, my brother has developed tinnitus after 40+ yrs of playing in various bands. I don’t doubt the science one bit. I just meant there’s a a clearly noticeable difference with or without my helmet, and I’ve never been on the bike without it for more than a quick spin around the block to really feel the effects. I’m not “anti-earplug” by any stretch. Music, long nights out and power tools have already taken their toll. Your advice would’ve been more useful 25 yrs ago although still appreciated. I too get the foam ones from our data centers it’s work. Free works for me.

#12 · (Edited)
Lost count of how many times we had to use a drill bit to pull a foam ear plug from co-worker's ear canals. Calling Dr. Killedear!

Also, in hot, dirty environments, the end edges of the foam becomes hard and pretty sharp. Not comfortable for long days.

#13 ·
Never had an earplug get stuck, nor become “sharp”. :surprise:

How far are they sticking them in? ;)

The ones I use are the exact ones in the video. (I however cut the cord off)
The ends are flared, so it’s seemingly impossible to put them too far in.

I’d guess if you keep using the same pair over and over again they could get stiff or start to tear apart, but you shouldn’t use the same pair for more than a few times before tossing them for a new pair. That’s the beauty of the foam type, they are so cheap you can do that.:smile2:

#14 ·
Not sure which earplugs you're talking about, too much hokum in that video to sort it out.

We entered jobsites with a pocket full of plugs, and there's always a box full in every truck, so we didn't use the same plugs for days.

A couple of hours with sweat, coal dust, asbestos, (you name it) running into your ears, and those foamies turn to crap. Add the fact that the noise is so fierce you can hear the steam leak from the front gate, above the din of the plant. Some people have larger ear canals also, so an extra poke here and there to get some noise reduction, and by lunch it's too deep to get a grip on.

Once those edges collect a little dirt combined with moisture, they're as hard as wedding prick. At least it feels that way in your ear, they become very uncomfortable. May as well twist a 3/8" tap in your ear and get the cutting over with.

I like the ones with the vanes, but not the mushroom shape, haven't found a pic to post an example. The gel plugs with the string are crap also.

But, different strokes, the ones that fit you best and block the noise best are the ones you want to use. Ears are almost like fingerprints.

We finally got the company to stop supplying the foam plugs, they were a last resort.

Found a pic:

#15 ·
Those are the “washable” silicone type I think. The ones I use are the Howard Leight two color foam ones.
I can believe you’ve seen issues with them at work, but we’re taking motorcycles here, and I doubt an ear plug covered by a helmet while riding gets exposed to any of the crap you’re talking about.

But yes, ears are different. I know many that can’t wear the expanding foam ones because they say they start to hurt after a short while. Many ended up getting custom plugs from an ear doctor.

Wind noise on my Bonneville is horrible, mostly due to the windscreen I have. So I wear plugs every time I ride.

#16 · (Edited)
well excuse the hell outta me . You think I didn't know we were talking about motorcycles? We were also talking about earplugs, how well they work, and how they fit.

I'll keep my silly-assed comments to myself.

edit: I won't wear the foam plugs on my bike, won't use them when mowing the grass either.

#20 ·
#18 · (Edited)
Sorry Spockster, didn’t mean to tick you off, just trying to point out riding a motorcycle doesn’t expose your ears to the stuff you talked about, and that folks reading this shouldn’t be afraid to use foam earplugs for riding.

I am however a bit concerned if you are being exposed to asbestos. I know two people that had Mesothelioma from working with that stuff in jobs they got out of high school. Definitely more serious than getting a plug stuck in your ear.

Threaded ear canals? Mmmm, My take is they should design helmets that do a better job of protecting your hearing. I wear ear “muffs” when I go shooting. Not sure why they can’t incorporate that simple technology into a helmet.

#22 ·
Yep seen those. Not the “simple technology” I was thinking about however. And you have to pay for the Sena com system, which is why the helmet is $600. (Which really isn’t a bad deal if you’re looking for that)

They do make quieter helmets. I think I did see a helmet that used inflatable ear cups to cut noise. But the practice isn’t universal, all helmets should do a better job of addressing the problem. ;)

#23 ·
Thank you guys. Things were getting a bit slow here at home and I needed some comic relief so I clicked onto the forum. I am never disappointed when I need a quick laugh. This is the sure place for that.

#25 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.