Ignition switch needed, w/key - Page 2 - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Equipment
Everything related to equipment
Includes backrests, luggage racks, windshields,
floorboards, pegs, and riding gear

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-14-2019, 11:35 PM

Much better having the fan on the temp switch, running the fan all the time isn't good. Above 30 mph the fan usually doesn't run. It pulls a lot of amps, drops the charging volts, and running all the time should be hard on the Junction Box, overheating the fan relay. It might even function as a restriction in 70mph wind.

For me using a toggle switch, I'd try to run it only as needed, and sometime the first day I would forget to turn it on until I smelled antifreeze and the gauge is pegged.

2003-21k mi
Shaved w/UniPK92+Stock Jets-TPE/MOSFET-Shinko Tires-AGM batt-bags-chrome-LEDs...more
__________________________________________________ ____________
Repair Manual: http://www.mediafire.com/file/mj7z81..._Catalogue.pdf

Owner's Manual: http://www.mediafire.com/file/nscb5f...ers+Manual.pdf
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-15-2019, 03:21 AM Thread Starter

I certainly do appreciate the input, and I would probably forget just that one time and screw up bad.
Thanks!!!
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-15-2019, 08:07 AM

Garage
Just to save you some time and head-scratching, here's the procedure for replacing the ignition switch with manual switches.
This procedure removes the "park" state from the bike.

1. Chop off the terminal.
2. Insulate the end of the white/black wire. It is not needed. Alternately, it could be spliced to the white wire.
3. Wire the white wire to terminal 1 of the new on/off switch. This is your power in via the 30amp fuse in the JB.
4. Splice the orange/green, yellow, and Brown/White wires together. Attach them to terminal 2 of the new switch. This powers the turn signals, start button/ignition, instrument cluster, power to headlight fuse, and tail light fuse.
5. Splice the red and blue wires together. This provides 10amp protected power to the tail light. FYI, on a stock bike that 10 amp fuse is the 'headlight' fuse, and the tail light fuse is unused.

1992 US-nonCA * tuxedo mod * r/r relocated

Vulcan slang for newcomers
Service Manual Download
Wiring Diagram + annotations * still undergoing revisions, but still more useful than the generic one. Let me know if you find mistakes or think something additional should be added

Last edited by Thorn; 09-16-2019 at 04:34 AM.

post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-15-2019, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harmonica Bob View Post
I certainly do appreciate the input, and I would probably forget just that one time and screw up bad.
Thanks!!!
You're welcome!

After sleeping on it ... You can still use a toggle like you said, and run the ground to the temp switch. The fan would function normally as long as your toggle is on. So it would be like an airplane, power on, hit all the correct toggle switches, cleared for takeoff.

The temp switch works off of ground, all grounds on this bike are black/yellow stripe.

2003-21k mi
Shaved w/UniPK92+Stock Jets-TPE/MOSFET-Shinko Tires-AGM batt-bags-chrome-LEDs...more
__________________________________________________ ____________
Repair Manual: http://www.mediafire.com/file/mj7z81..._Catalogue.pdf

Owner's Manual: http://www.mediafire.com/file/nscb5f...ers+Manual.pdf
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-22-2019, 07:21 AM Thread Starter

Thank you Thorn,
Yes, I've been looking at the schematics and scratching my head as you said, so thanks so much for that!!!
Pretty much saved me from going nuts a couple of months before I turn 60...........
post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-22-2019, 07:27 AM Thread Starter

Thanks Spockster,
Between you and Thorn, y'all saved my ass!!!!
I'm SO GLAD I found the forum, I've been browsing through the threads and I know if I would have known about all of you sooner, I would more than likely have started this a lot sooner and I'm certain already been back in the wind.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement