Includes backrests, luggage racks, windshields,
floorboards, pegs, and riding gear

2Likes
  • 1 Post By mmart
  • 1 Post By mmart

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-28-2019, 06:54 PM Thread Starter

New Bars and Accessories

So here is what I have gotten so far for changing out the look of the front end:I am waiting for most of this to arrive, so I will know more once the douche of a mailman delivers everything. So I went with this particular bar, because I thought the stock bars were hideous and uncomfortably narrow for my body build. I like the bars for the road king, so I was trying to find something comparable.

I ended up going with these Goldwing grips based on what I had read that people liked, that fit our 7/8" handle bars. These are longer than stock, which is good, because I have big hands. The should have the throttle tube in them, so I am anticipating a relatively smooth install here.

The master cylinder that came with the bike originally had like a 45* angle, so when I was test fitting the stock controls, the reservoir would only be about half full, with the supply and return holes barely covered. The ones that I just bought appear to be level at a 90*. I used this opportunity to clean the calipers, because the brake fluid had turned to this grease like goo. Lots of carb/brake cleaner went into the ports until the fluid came out clear. Once I get the new master cylinder and the grips, so I know where to mount everything, I will need to find a cable that attaches the master cylinder to the splitter. I did a rough field verification measurement, and the stock brake line is about 3" too long for the stock master cylinder.

With these much lower bars, the clutch has a 5" bow, even after routing. I read that the KC550z has the same attachments as the vulcan, but it is 5" shorter. I am hoping that these will work.
I removed the push throttle cable. The stock throttle cable has been rerouted, but it is still too long. I have searched all of the forums, and it appears that people just reroute the throttle cable and leave the stock one. I cannot find the length of the stock pull cable for some reason, but it appears to be a few inches too long too. Does anyone have any suggestion for a bike with the similar connection points (little silver pieces), or know the stock length of the throttle cable? I do not want to spend the money for a custom throttle cable, as the wife is already getting annoyed with how much I have spent so far.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	51OU5+vnXkL._SL1200_.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	33.0 KB
ID:	46361   Click image for larger version

Name:	s-l1600 (1).jpg
Views:	25
Size:	84.7 KB
ID:	46363   Click image for larger version

Name:	s-l1600 (2).jpg
Views:	26
Size:	77.0 KB
ID:	46365   Click image for larger version

Name:	s-l1600.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	75.3 KB
ID:	46367  

'08 Road King Classic
'86 VN750 with the following work done to it, after sitting for 19 years:
John 8:44
REV 2:9
REV 3:9
www.voat.co
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-28-2019, 07:23 PM

I bought similar grips (all black instead of chrome) I had to pull out the throttle tube and put the stock tube in instead because the slot for the cable ends had a slightly different shape and was hitting the inside of the switch assembly so I couldn’t get the bike all the way back down to idle. It wasn’t a major ordeal but just worth mentioning.
Thorn likes this.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-28-2019, 10:27 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmart View Post
I bought similar grips (all black instead of chrome) I had to pull out the throttle tube and put the stock tube in instead because the slot for the cable ends had a slightly different shape and was hitting the inside of the switch assembly so I couldnít get the bike all the way back down to idle. It wasnít a major ordeal but just worth mentioning.

I appreciate it, Iíll save the tube in that cass

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

'08 Road King Classic
www.voat.co

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-29-2019, 12:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSattler View Post
Quote:
I bought similar grips (all black instead of chrome) I had to pull out the throttle tube and put the stock tube in instead because the slot for the cable ends had a slightly different shape and was hitting the inside of the switch assembly so I couldn’t get the bike all the way back down to idle. It wasn’t a major ordeal but just worth mentioning.

I appreciate it, I’ll save the tube in that cass

No problem, those are the little things that always bite ya, On the left grip, it didn’t feel like it wanted to stay tight so I wrapped the bar with one layer of electrical tape, then dropped some gorilla glue in the grip itself. Feels real solid and if I want to change it, it’s not glued to the bar itself.
MSattler likes this.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-31-2019, 02:51 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
No problem, those are the little things that always bite ya, On the left grip, it didnít feel like it wanted to stay tight so I wrapped the bar with one layer of electrical tape, then dropped some gorilla glue in the grip itself. Feels real solid and if I want to change it, itís not glued to the bar itself.

You were absolutely right. I had to swap out the throttle with the stock one. I cut off the 8 tabs, and it fit wonderfully

'08 Road King Classic
www.voat.co
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-31-2019, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSattler View Post
Quote:
No problem, those are the little things that always bite ya, On the left grip, it didn’t feel like it wanted to stay tight so I wrapped the bar with one layer of electrical tape, then dropped some gorilla glue in the grip itself. Feels real solid and if I want to change it, it’s not glued to the bar itself.

You were absolutely right. I had to swap out the throttle with the stock one. I cut off the 8 tabs, and it fit wonderfully

Good stuff, hope it saved you a little time getting it switched out
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-01-2019, 10:59 AM Thread Starter

The KZ clutch worked like a dream. I had it adjusted last night. I had to replace the spawl spring again. This time, the cover almost fell off, allowing me able room to work. It was like a miracle, not using needle nose pliers again. The last thing I am having trouble finding, is the length of our stock throttle cables. I want to lose about 4" off of those. Any ideas?

'08 Road King Classic
www.voat.co
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-01-2019, 11:56 AM

Check partzilla.com, they may have the specs for the OEM cables at least you’ll know what your starting point is. And I know others have done similar on here and posted. I find that searching “VN750 + anything” on google always lists all the old posts from this site in the results
Sponsored Links
Advertisement