Kickstand Relocate? - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Equipment
Everything related to equipment
Includes backrests, luggage racks, windshields,
floorboards, pegs, and riding gear

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-21-2018, 11:16 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 101
iTrader: (0)
 
Garage
Kickstand Relocate?

So I've hit my kickstand bracket a fair few times turning to the left, always a little pucker moment. Has anyone had that problem? I was hitting both sides of the center stand before, but removed it after I got a motorcycle jack. Now the kickstand bracket is the lowest thing down there it seems.

I've read a bunch of threads on the pros/cons of removing the safety switch, but none about relocating the stand itself.

Thoughts?
LandyLou is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-22-2018, 07:48 AM
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: SW Florida
Posts: 2,451
iTrader: (5)
 
location of the kick stand has been engineered to proper balance the bike when the kick stand is in use. that would go for both side and center stand

im sure it could be moved, but careful determination of where it goes to would have to be taken into account

2005 VN750

Sold 11-27-17
michiganteddybear is offline  
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-22-2018, 10:09 AM
Old Fart
 
Knifemaker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Catawissa, MO
Posts: 11,632
iTrader: (4)
     
Garage
Have you lowered your bike? The kickstand shouldn't touch down unless you are near the lean limit of the bike. Have you tried sliding off the seat some going through a turn? I'd think the footpeg would touch down first...

If You Are Not Sure If I Am Joking or Not....I AM !!Photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/knifemaker1954/sets/
Knifemaker is online now  
 
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-22-2018, 02:29 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 101
iTrader: (0)
 
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knifemaker View Post
Have you lowered your bike? The kickstand shouldn't touch down unless you are near the lean limit of the bike. Have you tried sliding off the seat some going through a turn? I'd think the footpeg would touch down first...


Indeed, I have lowered it some. Aftermarket suspension in the rear. (One of my riding buddies pointed that out, that my dragging is somewhat self inflicted) They are 1.5 or 2” shorter, but seems like it wouldn’t affect the front that much (since the shocks are at an angle and the front where the kickstand is would be lowered even less). Maybe the clearance is a lot less than I imagined on the turns. I’m usually dragging when there is some elevation change in the roadway as well, which factors in.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
LandyLou is offline  
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-22-2018, 02:48 PM
Senior Member
 
readparse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 167
iTrader: (0)
 
Garage
It's weird to me that anybody would remove the center stand, because it's one of my favorite features of the bike. I realize you're not the first to do it, and everybody values things in their own way, of course. But I love the stability of the bike on the center stand. Not that the side stand won't keep the bike up, but I did have this one time where the side stand wasn't completely extended and the bike went down. So now I always double and triple check the side stand. I don't want to say I don't trust it, but I'm certainly acting like I don't trust it. The center stand, on the other hand, I trust completely. I even use it at the gas station.

Oh, and I took my front wheel off last night (to change the tire). Needless to say, the center stand is super useful for that. You also need to use a jack under the engine to keep the weight off the front, but the center stand really makes working on the bike a lot easier.

I know there are some guys who never use the center stand, because there's a learning curve and it's intimidating at first. But once you get comfortable with it... for me it's the only way to walk away from the bike.
readparse is offline  
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-24-2018, 01:46 PM
Old Fart
 
Knifemaker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Catawissa, MO
Posts: 11,632
iTrader: (4)
     
Garage
^ Actually the bike is more stabil on the side stand than the center stand. This is due to the fact that all the bikes weight is distributed to three points fairly equally, and that those three points are farther apart than the three in center
stand use. When it's on the center stand most of the bikes weight is on the stands legs.
Now if you fail to put the sidestand down all the way, that's "human error" there, not a fault of the mechanics here. Also if you put your bike in gear and roll it forward till it stops before putting it on the sidestand it's less likely to roll off the stand if bumped. As the rear tire does not touch the ground when on the center stand, a bump from the rear (even if it's in gear) can knock it off the stand. (Which will allow it to fall)
This of course all depends on how worn your sidestand might be.

If You Are Not Sure If I Am Joking or Not....I AM !!Photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/knifemaker1954/sets/
Knifemaker is online now  
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-24-2018, 02:10 PM
Senior Member
 
Spockster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: WV
Posts: 6,575
iTrader: (5)
   
I'll have to disagree, I think the centerstand offers more stability if the terrain allows using it. And it sure is handy for repairs, it's a pain dealing with bigger bikes without a centerstand and no lift in the shop.

2003-21k mi
Shaved w/UniPK92+Stock Jets-TPE/MOSFET-Shinko Tires-AGM batt-bags-chrome-LEDs...more
__________________________________________________ ____________
Repair Manual: http://www.mediafire.com/file/mj7z81..._Catalogue.pdf

Owner's Manual: http://www.mediafire.com/file/nscb5f...ers+Manual.pdf
Spockster is offline  
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-24-2018, 02:33 PM
Old Fart
 
Knifemaker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Catawissa, MO
Posts: 11,632
iTrader: (4)
     
Garage
Guess we'd have to decide on what we are considering "more stabile"...
Interesting discussion here:

https://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread...us-Centerstand

I know it takes more effort to push over a bike on its sidestand than it does on its center stand. And yes, different bikes will behave differently depending on the design of the stands. Try pushing a bike over from the right side while it's on the side stand. Pretty hard to impossible...unless you get the stand to partially retract.
And yes, the sidestand does better on uneven terrain.

If You Are Not Sure If I Am Joking or Not....I AM !!Photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/knifemaker1954/sets/
Knifemaker is online now  
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-24-2018, 11:45 PM
Senior Member
 
Spockster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: WV
Posts: 6,575
iTrader: (5)
   
Relocation presents new problems to look at. Lean angle, kickstand length and angle, location when the stand is in the up position. Bikes with the stand at the front typically have really long stands and a steep lean angle, which tends to make them close to pole vaulting onto the ground unless the bike is a heavyweight.

No doubt Kawi looked at every angle for the kickstand, they were using all the cruiser cues they could.

The stand on the HD Ultra Classic (up front) pivots in some way as it touches the ground and the weight of the bike is increased on the stand. It looks like it's going to fall over, then it stops. Never looked, but it acts like it has an extra spring.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knifemaker View Post
Guess we'd have to decide on what we are considering "more stabile"...
Interesting discussion here:

https://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread...us-Centerstand

I know it takes more effort to push over a bike on its sidestand than it does on its center stand. And yes, different bikes will behave differently depending on the design of the stands. Try pushing a bike over from the right side while it's on the side stand. Pretty hard to impossible...unless you get the stand to partially retract.
And yes, the sidestand does better on uneven terrain.
It takes more than "a little nudge" (as stated for BMWs in the linked forum) to get the VN off the centerstand.

On the side stand, the VN is already nearly halfway to lying on the ground. Just appears to be easier to knock over.

Could be placebo effect, but if I feel the parking lot is a sketchy, I put it on the centerstand.

I've seen mine fall over twice, through no fault of either stand.

You meet the most esoteric people on a BMW.

2003-21k mi
Shaved w/UniPK92+Stock Jets-TPE/MOSFET-Shinko Tires-AGM batt-bags-chrome-LEDs...more
__________________________________________________ ____________
Repair Manual: http://www.mediafire.com/file/mj7z81..._Catalogue.pdf

Owner's Manual: http://www.mediafire.com/file/nscb5f...ers+Manual.pdf

Last edited by Spockster; 07-24-2018 at 11:50 PM.
Spockster is offline  
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-25-2018, 09:58 AM
2014 KLR 650!
 
Goofyfoot2001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Tega Cay, SC
Posts: 3,359
iTrader: (1)
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by readparse View Post
It's weird to me that anybody would remove the center stand, because it's one of my favorite features of the bike. I realize you're not the first to do it, and everybody values things in their own way, of course. But I love the stability of the bike on the center stand. Not that the side stand won't keep the bike up, but I did have this one time where the side stand wasn't completely extended and the bike went down. So now I always double and triple check the side stand. I don't want to say I don't trust it, but I'm certainly acting like I don't trust it. The center stand, on the other hand, I trust completely. I even use it at the gas station.

Oh, and I took my front wheel off last night (to change the tire). Needless to say, the center stand is super useful for that. You also need to use a jack under the engine to keep the weight off the front, but the center stand really makes working on the bike a lot easier.

I know there are some guys who never use the center stand, because there's a learning curve and it's intimidating at first. But once you get comfortable with it... for me it's the only way to walk away from the bike.
Haha, I just started a thread over at klrforum.com with a poll on who likes centerstands. That was the first thing I bought. It's about half an half right now for and against. I HATED that my sportster didn't have a center stand. I LOVE not having to lug around a damn motorcycle jack.

2014 Kawasaki KLR 650
Back to the Kawa World
Goofyfoot2001 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Bookmarks

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Once registered, your User Name"cannot be changed". We can make exceptions within 7 days, but after that, it is set in stone.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome