Seats.... - Page 2 - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Equipment
Everything related to equipment
Includes backrests, luggage racks, windshields,
floorboards, pegs, and riding gear

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-24-2009, 06:37 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 66
iTrader: (0)
 
Thanks, i called a upholstery shop here in town. i am going to run it by thme and let them look at it and hopfully they can get me a good price on a seat.
ViVaLaLude00 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-24-2009, 07:38 PM
On His Lady Vulcan
 
wkrizan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Washington State
Posts: 1,647
iTrader: (10)
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ViVaLaLude00 View Post
Thanks, i called a upholstery shop here in town. i am going to run it by thme and let them look at it and hopfully they can get me a good price on a seat.
Good luck with that, every shop that I spoken with on just recovering my seat with supplied vinyl (I supplied the vinyl) they wanted to charge outrageously for it. The cheapest I was quoted by 4 diff shops was $225 just to cover it (I already had the damn seat built). I wound up doing it for $30 myself. $30 for the heat gun that I had to buy...

Peace

"You came out of your mom looking like SHlT. She thought you were beautiful. Don't know what scared me most, your looks or her judgment."











Pictures of the "Ladies"
wkrizan is offline  
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-25-2009, 07:27 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 66
iTrader: (0)
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by wkrizan View Post
Good luck with that, every shop that I spoken with on just recovering my seat with supplied vinyl (I supplied the vinyl) they wanted to charge outrageously for it. The cheapest I was quoted by 4 diff shops was $225 just to cover it (I already had the damn seat built). I wound up doing it for $30 myself. $30 for the heat gun that I had to buy...

Peace
Wow, you made your seat and covered it for that??? Was it hard to do the foam?
ViVaLaLude00 is offline  
 
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-25-2009, 09:55 PM
On His Lady Vulcan
 
wkrizan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Washington State
Posts: 1,647
iTrader: (10)
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ViVaLaLude00 View Post
Wow, you made your seat and covered it for that??? Was it hard to do the foam?
I already had all the other supplies that I needed to do the job so I wasn't counting that into my total. I picked up the marine grade vinyl at Joanns craft store for $10 a yard (a yard is all you'll need) and for the foam all I did was cut out some of the original foam from the ass area and took one of those airplane neck pillows and cut off the outer material, they make those with memory foam, so I unrolled in and put it in the hollowed out area where I would be sitting. Supper cheap in the end yes, just have to be creative and being a cheap ass like myself doesnt hurt either I suppose.

Peace

"You came out of your mom looking like SHlT. She thought you were beautiful. Don't know what scared me most, your looks or her judgment."











Pictures of the "Ladies"
wkrizan is offline  
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-26-2009, 04:24 PM
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 707
iTrader: (0)
 
the foam is relatively easy to work with... i had an electric knife and it sliced through it like butter.. what you can do is save up for a gel insert and whne you do that get your hands on either a high speed drill (dremel or rotozip) or eve better would be a die grinder... you trace the outside of the gel insert and then hollow out the hole... then adhesive on the gel seat and pop it into the hollowed out area.. i too got my vinyl from jo-anns and i had a half off coupon... ended up geting 2 yards because i wanted to do a quick detach back rest sometime this summer.... anyway the hardest thing for me was trying to recover it in 30 degrees..

if your looking to do this just pop off your seat at the end of a riding day and you can uncover the seat and do all the work in like an hour or 2.... then you can get back to riding the next day..
bigrepp61 is offline  
post #16 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-26-2009, 06:46 PM
CWO3 Navy (Retired)
 
cliffhusn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Maryland
Posts: 722
iTrader: (7)
 
I bought a seat on ebay for $20 plus $13 for shipping, that way I can take my time and do it the way I want. Still sketching out my design and will most likely cover it myself using the original cover as a pattern.

The Flag on my bike honors those who serve our Country and those who have served!
cliffhusn is offline  
post #17 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-27-2009, 06:09 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 66
iTrader: (0)
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigrepp61 View Post
the foam is relatively easy to work with... i had an electric knife and it sliced through it like butter.. what you can do is save up for a gel insert and whne you do that get your hands on either a high speed drill (dremel or rotozip) or eve better would be a die grinder... you trace the outside of the gel insert and then hollow out the hole... then adhesive on the gel seat and pop it into the hollowed out area.. i too got my vinyl from jo-anns and i had a half off coupon... ended up geting 2 yards because i wanted to do a quick detach back rest sometime this summer.... anyway the hardest thing for me was trying to recover it in 30 degrees..

if your looking to do this just pop off your seat at the end of a riding day and you can uncover the seat and do all the work in like an hour or 2.... then you can get back to riding the next day..
Cool, thanks! did you leave your backrest on the seat? Do you have any pics of your seat?



Quote:
Originally Posted by wkrizan View Post
I already had all the other supplies that I needed to do the job so I wasn't counting that into my total. I picked up the marine grade vinyl at Joanns craft store for $10 a yard (a yard is all you'll need) and for the foam all I did was cut out some of the original foam from the ass area and took one of those airplane neck pillows and cut off the outer material, they make those with memory foam, so I unrolled in and put it in the hollowed out area where I would be sitting. Supper cheap in the end yes, just have to be creative and being a cheap ass like myself doesnt hurt either I suppose.

Peace
Sounds like it wouldnt be to bad to make myself. What i think i want is a vulcan 800 style seat. Do you have any pics of your seat of a write up of how you did them?
ViVaLaLude00 is offline  
post #18 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-27-2009, 08:59 PM
Linkmeister Supreme
 
OlHossCanada's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Lethbridge, Alberta, Canada
Posts: 7,960
iTrader: (8)
   
Check out www.buttbuffer.com . I really like what they say about their gel pads, and think I will order a large tie on one to try out, before deciding on getting one built in. It`s about 3 times as much $$ as that one for the kayaks back near the beginning of this thread, but I think it`s worth it.

Gordon

1991 VN 750 -"Cosmic Lady" or "Bad Girl"?
Purchased May 16, 2008
Approx.19,300km (12,000 miles)

H-D windshield
Relocated R/R
MF-AGM battery
Fiamm Freeway Blaster horns
F&S luggage rack and engine guard
Kury Offset Hiway pegs
July 13, 2016, Riding on the DARKSIDE now, Classic Radial 165/80-15


TOP TEN THINGS A NEW RIDER/OWNER SHOULD DO. Click on link.
https://www.vn750.com/forum/11-vn750-general-discussion/9127-top-ten-items-you-would-suggest-new-owner-do-his-new-ride.html
OlHossCanada is offline  
post #19 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-28-2009, 10:45 AM
. . "Boricua" Rider . .
 
kawabengie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Dorado, Puerto Rico
Posts: 133
iTrader: (4)
 
I made a mod to my stock seat to a solo (w/ memory foam) and it looks and feels good. Check my pictures, where I put over 20 photos of the process.
While doing it, be patient and good luck! Also don't forget to post pictures of your progress and final product.

BnG

'94 Special VN750; custom solo seat, xlx handlebars, flame grips & mirrors, Screamin' Eagle II slip on mufflers, S/S 2" lowering brackets, Highway Hawk double oval blue headlight and driver kury flame floorboards, highway bar w/ E. Trotta's pegs, chrome engine, rad and neck covers, chrome covered cables, chrome stebel horn (never enough chrome!), hidden blue LED's, Clear Alternative's LED tailight, custom chrome tailight license plate w/ LED's.
Soon: LED voltmeter & passenger kury flame pegs.
kawabengie is offline  
post #20 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-28-2009, 02:09 PM
On His Lady Vulcan
 
wkrizan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Washington State
Posts: 1,647
iTrader: (10)
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ViVaLaLude00 View Post
Sounds like it wouldnt be to bad to make myself. What i think i want is a vulcan 800 style seat. Do you have any pics of your seat of a write up of how you did them?
I have pictures of my finished seat, I am horrible at taking pictures of my process. When I jump into a project my focus is so focused that pictures DONT even cross my mind. I have done quite a bit of work and customizing of my bike and every time that I stand back to look at the finished project I go " Damn forgot pictures yet again" Theres others here Like Kawabengie that has done an excellent job of pictures and write ups. Anyways heres a pic of my seat none-the-less

"You came out of your mom looking like SHlT. She thought you were beautiful. Don't know what scared me most, your looks or her judgment."











Pictures of the "Ladies"
wkrizan is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Bookmarks

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Once registered, your User Name"cannot be changed". We can make exceptions within 7 days, but after that, it is set in stone.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome