Kawasaki Luggage Rack install - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Equipment
Everything related to equipment
Includes backrests, luggage racks, windshields,
floorboards, pegs, and riding gear

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-04-2009, 04:04 PM Thread Starter

Question Kawasaki Luggage Rack install

I just ordered the Kawasaki rack and then went to Kawasaki's site to look at the installation instructions. They are kind of weak with details. Can anyone give me some advice that has already installed one of these, on what to expect as far as pitfalls? I sure would like a step by step from someone who's done it before.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-04-2009, 04:57 PM
Old Fart

Garage
The only thing I suggest is to start all the bolts into their respective holes before tightening them down. The rack has to "expand" abit sometimes to fit in the inside of the seat rail and if you cinch up one side first you may never get the other side to line up. (You'll see what I mean when you start the install)

Another note is some aftermarket seats have clearence problems with the two bolts that go in toward the fender. If this effects you, removing some material from the seat pan should do the trick.

As a side note, I went to Lowes and replaced the the bolts that go into the seat rail with tad longer allen heads. Easier to turn than the ones supplied, and easier to start , which may be helpfull if your rack really needs to "expand"...

Once installed the rack is sturdy as hell and very usefull. (You can put more weight on it than the "maximum 5 lbs" the lawyers made them print on the warning....)

KM

If You Are Not Sure If I Am Joking or Not....I AM !!Photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/knifemaker1954/sets/

Last edited by Knifemaker; 03-04-2009 at 04:59 PM.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-04-2009, 09:25 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

Hi Viking, KM is right, nothing to it. Just lay it back there and you'll see that each bolt has a corresponding hole to go into. Did mine a few years ago and remember that the only helpful part of the manual is to see what goes on the outside and what goes on the inside. Don't worry it doesn't require an engineering degree. It's one of the easiest things you can do on this bike. Good luck.

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-05-2009, 10:04 AM

What size and length of bolts are needed? I'm looking at buying a used rack that won't be coming with the bolts. I'll have to swing by Home Depot or some other hardware store to pick them up.

"Until you have the courage to lose sight of the shore, you will not know the terror of being forever lost at sea." (Despair.com)
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-05-2009, 12:32 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to deefer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knifemaker View Post
Once installed the rack is sturdy as hell and very usefull. (You can put more weight on it than the "maximum 5 lbs" the lawyers made them print on the warning....)

KM
Hey Knifemaker - how much weight have you carried on yours?

Deefer
94 VG1200 Voyager II

post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-05-2009, 01:12 PM
At Least I Can Spell!

I remember saying... "I'm not getting one of those." Well, I'll be putting mine on this weekend after receiving it from Ron Ayers. Paid a lot less than Ebay or anywhere else!!

I just knew that 5 pound limit claim had to be a load of crap... hell, the chain for my lock is almost 10 lbs by itself. This mod will allow me to use a larger duffel style bag to stow it and a number of other significantly lighter, important items.

Michael
2002 Nomad 1500
VROC #29972

----------------------
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-05-2009, 03:24 PM
Linkmeister Supreme

Welcome to the forum, Viking. Tell us a little about yourself and your bike.

Gordon

1991 VN 750 -"Cosmic Lady" or "Bad Girl"?
Purchased May 16, 2008
Approx.19,300km (12,000 miles)

H-D windshield
Relocated R/R
MF-AGM battery
Fiamm Freeway Blaster horns
F&S luggage rack and engine guard
Kury Offset Hiway pegs
July 13, 2016, Riding on the DARKSIDE now, Classic Radial 165/80-15

TOP TEN THINGS A NEW RIDER/OWNER SHOULD DO. Click on link.
https://www.vn750.com/forum/11-vn750-general-discussion/9127-top-ten-items-you-would-suggest-new-owner-do-his-new-ride.html
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-05-2009, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by msh1156 View Post
I remember saying... "I'm not getting one of those." Well, I'll be putting mine on this weekend after receiving it from Ron Ayers. Paid a lot less than Ebay or anywhere else!!
What's the Ron Ayers part no.? I'm trying to figure out where on the list of categories for the VN750 this sort of thing would fall and haven't found it yet...

"Until you have the courage to lose sight of the shore, you will not know the terror of being forever lost at sea." (Despair.com)
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-05-2009, 04:48 PM
Old Fart

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by deefer View Post
Hey Knifemaker - how much weight have you carried on yours?
I think when we rode down the Gathering in KY our first year I weighed the T bag we used before I strapped it on, and it weighed 65 lbs.

Many on the Yahoo forum will tell you ....that I reported I stood on the rack to change lightbulbs in the garage...which is true. The rack is quite sturdy, but I must point out that I would not reccomend loading the rear end of the bike with alot of weight. If you plan to go on a trip, fill up a set of saddlebags first, then a tank bag...then if you can't use the rear of the seat because of a passenger...use the rack last.

Several folks have used the rack as a "bed" to install a hard tail case...which I think is the handiest things ever stuck on a bike.

KM

KM

post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-05-2009, 04:54 PM
Old Fart

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by robardin View Post
What size and length of bolts are needed? I'm looking at buying a used rack that won't be coming with the bolts. I'll have to swing by Home Depot or some other hardware store to pick them up.
Sorry, do not remember. But when you take the seat off and hold the rack up there you will see the bolts you will be replacing. Just a matter of removing one of each diameter and taking them with you to pick out the right size.
(This is what I did) I just added 5-10 mm to the length to make up for the thickness of the parts on the rack.

KM

Sponsored Links
Advertisement