Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

Cleaning Rotors - Recs?

1K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  Crobins365 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi, Folks -
Today's task was to pull the front wheel on Orleans, get it cleaned up, replace the brake calipers, change out the brake fluid, and start thinking about taking her out on the road. As you can see from the attached pics, however, my list of "today's to-dos" was perhaps more ambitious than I was thinking.

I'm plannign to use a dremel to get the rust off the hex bolts that hold on the rotors, and a dremel or like tool to get the mung off the wheel itself. But I'm not sure what to do to clean up the rotor surfaces. Those don't actually look too,too bad, but they could use a swipe or two with something. Anyone have any recommendations on what to use, how much, etc?

Also, given the mess on the outside of the wheel, I'm thinking the bearings are probably equally disgusting. Haven't checked yet, but is there anything in there Verses on repacking wheel bearings? If not, caveats?

I s'pose on a positive note, I found no evidence of spiders inside the front wheel!!! :smiley_th

Thanks!!

#2 ·
Cindy,

For the roters i would not use more than steel wool to clean up the inner ring area any thing else and you may mess with the surfacing on them. Or if you are carefull a small grinder with a wire wheel will make quick work of most of it.

As for the rims they come out looking nice with a powdercoat (just a suggestion.) never have to deal with corrosion and they wash up with water and soap.

#3 ·
Steel wool and maybe some solvent (MEK/Acetone) if all it has is stains . If it needs resurfacing a local brake shop might be able to turn it but if not replace it. Check your manual but I'll almost bet they call for replacement. If you try to resurface it yourself you could end up with a rotor that surges the brake lever. If you know someone that has a metal lathe they could probably true/clean the rotor up.

#4 ·
Cindy,

I have a extra set of front wheel berrings if u need them just pay shipping.

LULU is done and im 2 lazy to ship them back. :D

#5 ·
Naval jelly is good on rust. A brake shop can put a dial indicator on them to make sure they are not warped. Don't waste any time cleaning them up until you have them checked out.

#6 · (Edited)
Alright, I managed to get all the rust off of the area for the bolts - used a dremel, but tried to keep it just around that 1cm or so of inner ring. Used steel wool on the rotors themselves, but I'll take 'em to a shop and let someone else check 'em out ("seizing front brakes" just seems like a really bad idea).

I added a different "before" pic - I think (if it's possible) that my previous pics in the thread had the rotor surfaces themselves maybe looking worse than they were. Or maybe not. Anyway, thanks for all the advice!

Lurch, check your pms!

#7 ·
I would hope the shop would do it along with checking them for being warped, but it wouldn't hurt to ask them to check the thickness of the disk's too.

Dremel's = a great little tool !!!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.