Front Tire Decisions - Radial? - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Wheels, Suspension and Brakes
Everything to do with wheels, tires,
suspension, forks and brakes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-27-2017, 11:32 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Front Tire Decisions - Radial?

My front tire (Bridgestone Exedra - possibly original from 2001 - with just under 9k miles) is ready for retirement.

I've been trying to see if anyone recommended switching to radial tires, but I don't see a rousing cheer for the concept. I mostly see advice leaning toward sticking with what was on the bike new, as that is what it was designed to run. Does that sound about right?

I'm thinking of one of these.

Bridgestone Exedra Max,
Metzeler Lasertec
Metzeler ME888
Michelin Commander II

I heard that Metzeler had some quality control issues. Nobody is standing up for Bridgestone (although it is $20.00 cheaper). And Michelin has the longest wear.

Any advice would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-27-2017, 11:42 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to cglennon
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Bone View Post
My front tire (Bridgestone Exedra - possibly original from 2001 - with just under 9k miles) is ready for retirement.

I've been trying to see if anyone recommended switching to radial tires, but I don't see a rousing cheer for the concept. I mostly see advice leaning toward sticking with what was on the bike new, as that is what it was designed to run. Does that sound about right?

I'm thinking of one of these.

Bridgestone Exedra Max,
Metzeler Lasertec
Metzeler ME888
Michelin Commander II

I heard that Metzeler had some quality control issues. Nobody is standing up for Bridgestone (although it is $20.00 cheaper). And Michelin has the longest wear.

Any advice would be appreciated.
Add Avon Cobra (AV71 - front, AV72 - rear) to the list. I previously had the Metzeler ME880 tires and liked them a lot. Metzeler had quality control issues from its Brazil plant many years ago, but those were corrected a long time ago. So, no worries if you decide on the Metzelers. The new ME888 replaces the ME880. I've heard mixed reviews on it so I went with the Avons. I like them better then the ME880 and they were the same prices as the ME888.

Chris Glennon - Portland, OR
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-30-2017, 10:08 AM Thread Starter

Garage
I was hoping to narrow the list, not expand it!!!

Thank you for you advice. I looked into the Avon tires and liked what I found. Purchased today from the Motorcycle Superstore.

Last edited by T-Bone; 06-30-2017 at 10:28 AM.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-10-2017, 02:49 PM Thread Starter

Garage
I installed the Avon Cobra AV71 on the front and can't believe the difference. The handling is vastly improved. Really confidence inspiring in the turns and it seems to better handle patches and other road imperfections on the straights. I was going to wait a little while before replacing the rear tire but now I'm too excited to see what additional improvements will come with the new rear tire. Frankly, since the original rear is 17 years old, it's probably a good idea to change it sooner rather than later anyway. Thanks again, cglennon!
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-12-2017, 10:19 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to cglennon
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Bone View Post
I installed the Avon Cobra AV71 on the front and can't believe the difference. The handling is vastly improved. Really confidence inspiring in the turns and it seems to better handle patches and other road imperfections on the straights. I was going to wait a little while before replacing the rear tire but now I'm too excited to see what additional improvements will come with the new rear tire. Frankly, since the original rear is 17 years old, it's probably a good idea to change it sooner rather than later anyway. Thanks again, cglennon!
You are welcome! I really like the Avons (liked the ME880s as well).

So, if you like just the Avon font, image how much better it will be with the front/back pair!

Have a great summer!

Chris Glennon - Portland, OR
Sponsored Links
Advertisement