Rear wheels interchangeable ? - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Wheels, Suspension and Brakes
Everything to do with wheels, tires,
suspension, forks and brakes

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-24-2017, 09:02 AM Thread Starter

Rear wheels interchangeable ?

I got a new back tire. Decided I would change it myself, since the shop charges $50 even if i take the wheel off. Took the wheel off and went to break the bead and omg. Could NOT break the bead, it is like the tire is glued to the rim. I ran over it with my truck, I have excellent tire irons, beat on them with a sledge, no luck. So I took a sawzall and cut the whole tire off on both sides about 2" from rim. Beat on the remaining tire with a hammer and chisel, no luck at all. It really is unbelievable. So I got out a propane torch and tried to heat the remaining tire off and pull it off with vise grips, no luck. So last night, I soaked the rim standing up in a tub of gasoline, got up this morning and beat on it with a hammer and chisel again, no luck. I don't get it, I have changed alot of dirt bike tires with NP.

Anyway, after reading that and thinking I am a newb, lol, my question is :
I guess I am going to have to buy a used wheel to put my new tire on it, what years interchange ? I have a '85 VN700A shaft drive. Thanks for any help you can give me.

1985 VN700A
FYI :
Kawasaki introduced the 750 cc class Vulcan worldwide in 1985. Due to tariff restrictions in the United States on bikes over 700 cc imported from Japan, the initial US spec model was limited to 699 cc. The tariff was lifted in 1986 and the Vulcan went to 749cc.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-24-2017, 09:48 AM
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to OleDirtyDoc
try a large c-clamp

Sent from my LGL34C using Tapatalk

ONE RATS ASS GIVEN PER POST
Support your local FREEBIRDS MC
1986/5 Vn700/750 Frankenfook cross eyed bitch "Mellisa Fayhe"
I am a BIKER and i'm proud.FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY

lowered with progessive 412 10" shocks
rejetted for K/N Pods part#rc 2340
sportster seat

'I didn't lose my mind.i gave it away

BRING BACK WOLFIE."Peace and Carrots"RIP
"And I'm free...as a bird"John Lennon Free as a Bird
"I only carry when I have my pants on"Joe Robinson RIP aka Old Dog
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-24-2017, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OleDirtyDoc View Post
try a large c-clamp

Yup, that's what I use, same clamp I compress calipers with, it's about 8-10" wide, maybe. It's missing the swivel on the screw, so I use a block of wood on that side, not sure if that helps or just the swivel would be better. The c-clamp puts all that pressure in a spot about the size of a quarter.

Zipties are awesome, instead of tire irons. The tire just slips off/on the wheel, both beads at the same time, no scratches, just cut the zipties and it's done. Seems easier with the wheel standing up.

Have changed a lot of mc tires in the past 5 years with just the c-clamp and zipties. $90/pair at the shop, pfft.

You took the valve core out, right? Just checking.

2003-21k mi
Shaved w/UniPK92+Stock Jets-TPE/MOSFET-Shinko Tires-AGM batt-bags-chrome-LEDs...more
__________________________________________________ ____________
Repair Manual: http://www.mediafire.com/file/mj7z81..._Catalogue.pdf

Owner's Manual: http://www.mediafire.com/file/nscb5f...ers+Manual.pdf

Last edited by Spockster; 06-24-2017 at 11:19 AM.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-24-2017, 12:25 PM
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY

Garage
all year vn750 wheels interchange, but only 85-86 are black with polished edges,which imho,are the best looking. 87-up are all silver

sportster seat

post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-24-2017, 04:07 PM Thread Starter

Thanks !!

Thanks bunches guys !

C-clamp worked perfect ! My god this Continental Touring was a beast ! Tons of steel wire around bead area, that's what was keeping it from coming off. Tire was old but plenty of tread left, but PO stupidly left bike sit with a flat for years which cracked the sidewall and I didn't trust it. I put the new
Shinko 230 tour master on with NP. I love this '85 so much. I am 55 and have had a LOT of bikes and this is my fav. And there is nothing like eating up big bore Harleys with a 32 year old bone stock 700 V-twin, lol. Thanks again for the awesome tips.

On another note, can anyone tell me why these bikes run so good compared to Harleys ? My old lady rides a 883 and my bike EATS her up. Why? They are both V-Twins and she has over 20% more CC's .
Is it the carbs? Really curious since I have always been a Sport bike rider, because V-twins were always underpowered to me. But this Vulcan gives me plenty of power, and after taking the stupid Goat's belly off and putting on harley mufflers right on the stock pipes it sound GREAT. She is pissed because she paid 8 grand for her bike, and with the new tire and mufflers I now have 1 grand in mine, lol.

Thanks again

1985 VN700A
FYI :
Kawasaki introduced the 750 cc class Vulcan worldwide in 1985. Due to tariff restrictions in the United States on bikes over 700 cc imported from Japan, the initial US spec model was limited to 699 cc. The tariff was lifted in 1986 and the Vulcan went to 749cc.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-24-2017, 04:26 PM
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY

Garage
better heads,cams and carbs.more horsepower,tourqe and gearing.these bikes will toast a solid mounted 1200 sporty all day long(except Goofyfoot's rocketship&#128521the sporty motor is based off a motor designed in the 50's

sportster seat

post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-24-2017, 05:30 PM

One of my friends has a Vrod, he can beat me, but can't leave me behind. He usually swoofs me when I'm not looking, so it looks better that way. He's riding an Ultra Classic now, so it's going to be straight-line only if he wins. And he kept the Vrod, so I've been offering to keep the bearings rotated.

Goofyfoot and I raced at the Isle of Man TT a little while back, he won by .003.

2003-21k mi
Shaved w/UniPK92+Stock Jets-TPE/MOSFET-Shinko Tires-AGM batt-bags-chrome-LEDs...more

post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-24-2017, 07:04 PM
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY

Garage
was talking with a brother who has a v-rod,,and he's a crotch rocket guy,and he says it's fast,for a Harley.

As for Goofyfoot, the last time I raced him we were going on a beer run to Pluto(you think Coors light is cold brewed,lol)and as we were coming around Jupiter he bumped me to the left so he could use Jupiter's gravitational force as a shotgun boost. I started to catch him as we neared Saturn but he decided to flat track Saturn's rings,kicking up so must ring dust I had to stop cause the hallucinations were AWESOME. now I've collected some and am selling it for $80 a gram if anyone is interested (don't worry Goofy I'm splitting the profits with you )

ruger likes this.

sportster seat

Last edited by OleDirtyDoc; 06-24-2017 at 07:14 PM. Reason: i
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-24-2017, 09:33 PM

Yes, the Vrod does crank. I try not to entice him too much, don't want to have to scrape him up.

One day we were right downtown, stoplight to stoplight, he'd twist it in 2nd or 3rd, smoke the tire and wheelie at the same time, at about 25mph ... a block from the police HQ. I'm sayin' chill dude!

2003-21k mi

post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-24-2017, 11:38 PM Thread Starter

Vrod

The Vrod might run good, but lets see if it will still be going in 32 years with no major work other than a stator like my '85 I got mine from the original owner, he rode it for over 20 years, then let it sit for 15 in the shed. Luckily he was smart enough to go out and start it every few months. Harleys are ok, but I want more from a bike than prestige. IMHO the Japanese just have us beat on motorcycle technology. Sad that even with Japanese bikes, for quality, the older the better. I rode hare scrambles for years when I was young, and had a XR500, then a XR600, then a XR650, rode them hard and put them away wet with never a single problem. Basic maint and tire changes was all I ever did to them. If you would have told me back then that 4 strokers would be winning motocross races I would have laughed in your face, LOL.

1985 VN700A
FYI :
Sponsored Links
Advertisement