Front breaks weak - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Wheels, Suspension and Brakes
Everything to do with wheels, tires,
suspension, forks and brakes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-10-2017, 02:58 PM Thread Starter

Front breaks weak

Hello all. I just myself a 1992 Kawasaki Vulcan 750, dual caliper front brakes, and am happy to see there is a great forum for us. I have already used the forum to do some minor repairs but i can't find a post (though i'm sure it's here) about weak front brakes. My front brake is weak and takes maybe 10+ feet to stop at normal speeds (~30mph) my bike failed inspection for this. When searching the forums i only find info on front brakes locking up but i have the opposite issue. Does anyone have an idea on what part of the brake master cylinder can cause this? My parts store nearby does not sell a rebuild kit but rather individual parts. I'd appreciate the help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-10-2017, 02:58 PM Thread Starter

I bought new front brake pads that i'm putting on tomorrow but i don't think that is the issue anymore
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-10-2017, 06:51 PM
Super Moderator

is the front brake handle spongy??? if so, air in system, needs a bleeding. also a fluid change may be in order.

2005 VN750

Sold 11-27-17

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-10-2017, 07:00 PM Thread Starter

The brake handle is spongy for about half the pull. After that you can feel that it is now creating pressure
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-10-2017, 07:22 PM

put new fluid in the reservoir, bleed both calipers, then tie the brake lever back as far as you can to the throttle grip and leave it to sit tied back overnight or for a couple days, that will let all the air properly bleed out of the lines
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-11-2017, 10:36 AM

Garage
I had an issue recently with the front brake not stopping well on my '95, and a funny binding feeling in the lever pull. Similar to what you said, lever feel totally changed after about half travel. Bleeding the front brakes made a difference, but it was still there. I noticed that if I changed the angle at which I pulled the lever the feeling went away. Shot a little lube on the lever pivot, problem solved. Stops on a dime now. Bike is parked outside 24/7 so either some dirt or a little corrosion at the pivot point seems to have been the culprit.

1995 VN750 bought used @ 6K miles
2007 VN1600D bought used @ 40K miles
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-11-2017, 11:11 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll try new brake fluid and lubbing the pivot. I'll let you guys know how it goes.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-30-2017, 07:52 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the help. I put new brake fluid in and new pads on the front. Now the brakes respond withen a couple of millimeters of pull.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement