Rear axle "backwards" - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Wheels, Suspension and Brakes
Everything to do with wheels, tires,
suspension, forks and brakes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-11-2008, 11:45 PM Thread Starter

Rear axle "backwards"

Hey all. I'm not much of a wrench let alone very observant. After owning my VN for a year I finally noticed that the rear axle installation is reversed, that is, the threaded end is on the brake lever side. Will this damage anything and is it a major job to correct it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-12-2008, 06:36 AM
and the Adventure Cycle

I wouldn't think it'd be any problem to keep it like that.
As for changing it.... shouldn't be difficult at all. Just be sure you don't lose any of the spacers or washer.

AKA: Tim & 'The Adventure Cycle' VROC #24567, NEVROC, SteelCity VROC

"When life throws you curves,
Aim for the apex."

Author Unknown
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-12-2008, 09:23 AM
On His Lady Vulcan

Now thats a new one... LOL. So not only as you so delicately put it, "not very observant" neither is you PO and I would put it more on them than myself. As for damaging anything just as Hyper said I don't see how it could but I would switch it back to the proper installation. Wow that kinda blows my mind....sheesh ...people amaze me...LOL

Peace

"You came out of your mom looking like SHlT. She thought you were beautiful. Don't know what scared me most, your looks or her judgment."

Pictures of the "Ladies"

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-12-2008, 09:25 AM Thread Starter

Hyper, aside from someone's error, would there be any good reason why the axle would be reversed?
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-12-2008, 09:42 AM
On His Lady Vulcan

I am not Hyper but I might still have an answer none-the-less. The only reason that I can possibly fathom for doing such and it not being an error is that the final drive hole that the axle slides through might have been "Ovaled" out, or its a different size axle all together and they found it to be a better fit reversed as they did.

"You came out of your mom looking like SHlT. She thought you were beautiful. Don't know what scared me most, your looks or her judgment."

Pictures of the "Ladies"
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-12-2008, 09:56 AM
Vintage bike addict

It hasn't been a bother for more than a year. I'd leave it until it's time for new rubber.

No one can make you feel inferior without your consent.
Eleanor Roosevelt.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-12-2008, 11:23 AM
and the Adventure Cycle

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnrwilco View Post
Hyper, aside from someone's error, would there be any good reason why the axle would be reversed?

Ditto to below...

Quote:
Originally Posted by wkrizan View Post
I am not Hyper but I might still have an answer none-the-less. The only reason that I can possibly fathom for doing such and it not being an error is that the final drive hole that the axle slides through might have been "Ovaled" out, or its a different size axle all together and they found it to be a better fit reversed as they did.
Or.... they mighta gone by how the front axle is, as it removes from the left side. But in normal position, the rear removes from the right side.

Ya never can be sure why a PO did what they did. There may have been a perfectly sound reason for it at the time.

AKA: Tim & 'The Adventure Cycle' VROC #24567, NEVROC, SteelCity VROC

"When life throws you curves,
Aim for the apex."

Author Unknown
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-12-2008, 07:39 PM Thread Starter

Thanks, all. As long as I'm not doing any damage I'll do as suggested and deal with it next time the rear wheel is off. Also, I am working on the observation thing!
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-13-2008, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnrwilco View Post
Hey all. I'm not much of a wrench let alone very observant. After owning my VN for a year I finally noticed that the rear axle installation is reversed, that is, the threaded end is on the brake lever side. Will this damage anything and is it a major job to correct it?
I purposely turned mine around that way as my exhaust essentially covered the axle so spinning the axle so the crown nut was on the right meant if I needed to remove the wheel I didn't have to take the exhaust off to do it - damn custom exhausts
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-13-2008, 06:45 PM
On His Lady Vulcan

Quote:
Originally Posted by compadres_carl View Post
I purposely turned mine around that way as my exhaust essentially covered the axle so spinning the axle so the crown nut was on the right meant if I needed to remove the wheel I didn't have to take the exhaust off to do it - damn custom exhausts
AHHHH... Never thought of that as a possibilty. Makes sense and I like it (also have a custom exhaust system)

Peace

Pictures of the "Ladies"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement