Front Brakes Locked Up/Slightly Engaged? - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Wheels, Suspension and Brakes
Everything to do with wheels, tires,
suspension, forks and brakes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-19-2017, 05:11 PM Thread Starter

Front Brakes Locked Up/Slightly Engaged?

So I'm not sure if this is a problem with my bike specifically or if it's with all VN750's. The front brakes are (what I think is) slightly engaged, making the bike very hard to push from a standstill.

This is what I bought and changed out:
Both front calipers
Brake lines
Master cylinder/brake lever

If I take off both calipers, I'm able to push the bike freely without resistance.

I am at a total loss here. Please someone help

'86 VN750
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-19-2017, 06:15 PM
Super Moderator

hmmm, dunno. 2 sets of bad calipers? 2 sets of bad brake lines? 2 bad master cylinders?

what I have an issue with is my clutch has a shiat ton of drag. I can barely push my bike if its in gear and I have clutch pulled.. pop into neutral, no issues.

2005 VN750

Sold 11-27-17
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-19-2017, 07:41 PM

Garage
give it the GAS and wear 'em out!

I am assuming you compressed the calipers all the way before installing and then bled everything properly to get the air out and to get everything working. If there is air in the system or the brake fluid is low or whatever, then when you release the brakes the master cylinder cant relieve the hydraulic pressure in the caliper to disengage the brake pad.

Is there something wrong with your rotor maybe? If everything is new and is installed correctly, then that is the the only other part of the system. you didn't put your wheel on backwards, did you?

Drew
'03 VN750 a little over 4300 miles
Spline lube
F&S Rear blinker relocation
F&S Luggage rack
Saddlebags
F&S Extended backrest
Mustang seat
F&S Engine guard
Plexifairing 3 windshield
KM style dash
LED everything + additional brake lights &
LED plate bolts

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-20-2017, 08:07 AM
Old Fart

Garage
The pads always drag a bit against the rotors. So when you say hard to push, I assume they are dragging a lot. But "hard" is subjective. Bleeding the brakes properly should help, as is making sure the master cylinder is letting the fluid back in when you release the brake lever.
Did you remove the front wheel?
If you changed all the parts listed, were they with new or used parts?

Guessing it was doing this before you installed all those parts? Why would you assume they were bad to start with?

If You Are Not Sure If I Am Joking or Not....I AM !!Photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/knifemaker1954/sets/

Last edited by Knifemaker; 02-20-2017 at 08:12 AM.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-20-2017, 08:40 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganteddybear View Post
hmmm, dunno. 2 sets of bad calipers? 2 sets of bad brake lines? 2 bad master cylinders?

what I have an issue with is my clutch has a shiat ton of drag. I can barely push my bike if its in gear and I have clutch pulled.. pop into neutral, no issues.
Definitely in neutral.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew M. View Post
give it the GAS and wear 'em out!

I am assuming you compressed the calipers all the way before installing and then bled everything properly to get the air out and to get everything working. If there is air in the system or the brake fluid is low or whatever, then when you release the brakes the master cylinder cant relieve the hydraulic pressure in the caliper to disengage the brake pad.

Is there something wrong with your rotor maybe? If everything is new and is installed correctly, then that is the the only other part of the system. you didn't put your wheel on backwards, did you?

That's what I didn't do! I didn't compress the calipers before putting them on. Silly me. I'll be trying that this weekend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knifemaker View Post
The pads always drag a bit against the rotors. So when you say hard to push, I assume they are dragging a lot. But "hard" is subjective. Bleeding the brakes properly should help, as is making sure the master cylinder is letting the fluid back in when you release the brake lever.
Did you remove the front wheel?
If you changed all the parts listed, were they with new or used parts?

Guessing it was doing this before you installed all those parts? Why would you assume they were bad to start with?
The master cylinder was new, the brake lines and calipers were off an '06.

'86 VN750
Sponsored Links
Advertisement