Front brake dragging - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Wheels, Suspension and Brakes
Everything to do with wheels, tires,
suspension, forks and brakes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-17-2008, 05:30 PM Thread Starter

Front brake dragging

Hey folks.

I just got a '94 VN750 from a friend. I haven't ridden it yet cause I have to fix it first, but I figured that should be a piece of cake with this website out here.

So I am killing time waiting for parts to come in and trying to work on what I can without parts.

The reason I am writing is because the front brake seems to drag a bit, not so much that it stops the bike completely, but enough that there is a scraping noise when the front wheel turns and a bit of resistance. The bike hasn't been ridden in a while and there is a pretty decent amount of rust on the rotors and pads.

Pads are 1/8 of an inch thick (sorry I had no metric tape measure, guess I had better invest in one since this a metric, lol).

I did the conversion (3.1750mm) and they seem to be in spec.

I bled the brakes and the left one had fluid in it the color of coke, the right had no fluid at all.

I completely purged the system, recharging the master cylinder as I went until the fluid came out clear on both sides.

I did order a set of speed bleeders because I am not completely confident in my brake bleeding ability.

So after the long winded explanation all that I have done has made basically no difference. MC resovior is full, the sqeeze in the handle seems normal not spongy, and yet the front brakes are still dragging.

What could be causing the front pads to drag on the rotor or is it a function of the rust and the bike sitting for a while?

I will have to have this issue fixed before I ride, for obvious reasons, I may be a risk taker but I am not stupid.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

Craig
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-17-2008, 05:41 PM
Chucklehead

I would have to guess (without seeing it personally) that the drag is caused from the rusty rotors. this will dissappear within a few miles, but I'd take it easy the first trip just in case.

87 vn750at least that is what the frame #'s say
"Squirrel Bike" aka Jersey

Rat bike with a good PR agent

shaved and coastered
2 into 1 exhaust
rear 170 and front 110
Relocated R/R
custom dash with voltmeter
Spitfire windscreen
Plutonium plugs
Recovered seat without "butt hammers"
More to come
Praise to the Parts Goddess Crobins for needed things

When someone tells me "Great minds think alike" all I can think is "You Pervert"
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-17-2008, 06:24 PM

The front brakes do drag a little bit. Not much. It could be the amount of rust on there. Like dragon said...take it easy and slow the first few times out and work the front brakes.

2001 VN750
Vista Cruise Control
V-Force shield
Kawasaki Saddlebag supports
Fixed trunk hinge
TOC MCCT
Clear Alternatives LED tail light
Knifemaker style floorboards
Knifemaker style dash
Avon Venom X 110/90 Front
Avon Venom X 170/80 Rear
Big Crank AGM battery
25,100 miles as of 04/20/2010

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-17-2008, 08:18 PM Thread Starter

Slow and steady

OK... That sounds good, I still have a bunch of work to do, but I will keep her slow to start out until I break the rust off. As long as it is fairly normal for the front brakes to drag a little I won't sweat it.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-17-2008, 08:45 PM
Old Fart

Garage
Read this thread:

https://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8788

The pads normaly do touch the rotor, and present no problem once the wheel gets up to speed.

KM

If You Are Not Sure If I Am Joking or Not....I AM !!Photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/knifemaker1954/sets/
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-17-2008, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knifemaker View Post
Read this thread:

https://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8788

The pads normaly do touch the rotor, and present no problem once the wheel gets up to speed.

KM
Like KM said...read the thread and flush your brakes and bleed them good. I had the same but a bit worst a bit back and needed to do the same now the feel better. You may need to clean your calipers too. If not then it's best to do it anyway so you know their good.

James
1985 vn700 (T'Plana)
Gremlin bell
HD-O shield
saddlebagged
custom made supports
tool bag
extended backrest
Protac backrest
Highway pegs
custom mirrors
custom grips
V&H cruisers
lever covers
DieHard AGM
Kuryakin battery gauge
and LED taillights
marbled

VROC #27169
Tn VROC #134

www.youtube.com/thetrueliljd
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-18-2008, 12:43 AM
Vintage bike addict

I read somewhere someone used brillo pads to clean rust off the rotors successfully. That might be all you need since you've flushed out the junk and got fresh fluid in there.

No one can make you feel inferior without your consent.
Eleanor Roosevelt.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-18-2008, 01:41 PM
Old Fart

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by antiq View Post
I read somewhere someone used brillo pads to clean rust off the rotors successfully. That might be all you need since you've flushed out the junk and got fresh fluid in there.
Well , medium size steel wool would work fine (which brillo pads are) but as the brillo pad has soap in it, I'd not use it. The soap could get trapped in the fine grooves worn into the rotor and act much like putting grease on them...a very bad thing.

You do not need to clean the rust off the rotor where the pad actualy contacts it, as this will get worn off rather quickly the first time you use the brakes. Also, even with a steady hand, you can't follow the wear lines on the rotor with a steel wool pad, so you would end up putting fine scatches "against the grain" so to speak, another thing you'd want to avoid.

You can however use the steel wool to remove rust off the areas that the pads do not contact. But I would let the brake pads themselves clear off any rust on the rotor where they in fact touch.

The rotor is "stainless steel" and thus should not be all that rusty to begin with...you should see the steel rotors on my car after a rain, they look like they been sitting out for years...but a short drive down the road and they get cleaned off quickly.

KM

If You Are Not Sure If I Am Joking or Not....I AM !!Photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/knifemaker1954/sets/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement