Lowering drop kit for rear???? - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Wheels, Suspension and Brakes
Everything to do with wheels, tires,
suspension, forks and brakes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-09-2008, 11:59 PM Thread Starter

Question Lowering drop kit for rear????

Does anybody sell a lower kit or can make me one? or have templates for me to copy? Was the axle changed ? If so what kind or where can I get one.Any help appreciated
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-10-2008, 12:25 AM
. . "Boricua" Rider . .

Lowering kit . . .

Welcome to our forum!

Some time ago, a forum member posted this bracket diagrams, which lowers the bike aprox. 2 inches, with detailed instructions (check below).
I have a set made for me in S/S (still not installed), but verify the diameter of the axle holes; as I can remember
I think it needs to be bigger than whats indicated in the diagram.
Hope this helps.

Bengie

https://www.vn750.com/forum/attachmen...1&d=1184246785

https://www.vn750.com/forum/attachmen...2&d=1184246793

'94 Special VN750; custom solo seat, xlx handlebars, flame grips & mirrors, Screamin' Eagle II slip on mufflers, S/S 2" lowering brackets, Highway Hawk double oval blue headlight and driver kury flame floorboards, highway bar w/ E. Trotta's pegs, chrome engine, rad and neck covers, chrome covered cables, chrome stebel horn (never enough chrome!), hidden blue LED's, Clear Alternative's LED tailight, custom chrome tailight license plate w/ LED's.
Soon: LED voltmeter & passenger kury flame pegs.

Last edited by kawabengie; 10-11-2008 at 01:49 PM.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-10-2008, 12:33 AM
Members who have donated towards server costs

i just got 11.5 progressive rear shocks to lower mine. the rear fender is about 1 inch off rear tire. if you watch my youtube video, you can see how low it is.

Jeff Brooks
Owensboro KY
'94 Vulcan 750

http://youtube.com/user/cm4cm5

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-10-2008, 06:26 AM

I just put on 11" progressive shocks on my bike and they are great. The part number is 412-4232C, Be sure to get the ones with the "C" behind the part# they are the heavy duty ones but they ride great and are adjustable. I have no problems even with a passenger. phatperformanceparts.com has them for 198.95 with free shipping and they got to my house two days after I ordered them. There are no clearance issues with the fender and they ride great! The progressive front replacment springs also made a drastic improvement in the ride and I lowered the front 1".They were also listed at the website as part# 10-1553 and were 76.95. Best money that I have spent on the bike so far.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-11-2008, 04:31 PM

These are the same drawings I have. I have not found anyone to make them for me yet.
As for the rear axle, I think it has to be replaced with a longer one. When installing the lowering brackets you pick up 1/2" and there is not 1/2" extra with the exsting axle.
If you find some one to make the brackets and axle, let me know. As far as the shorter shocks, I am cheap, don't want to spend that much.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-11-2008, 04:52 PM
Sparky!!!

Garage
made my brackets myself...as for the longer axle...I just used thinner nuts
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-11-2008, 10:53 PM
Old Truck Junkie

If the bracket is like mine, you can grind on the swing arm a bit and take a small round file and enlongate the hole in the castle nut.

02 honda sabre 1100
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-22-2008, 08:48 PM

what's the handling difference for lowering front and rear, if any?

'99 VN750 with 8900 miles and growing (3,111 when I bought it 03-22-08)
Ear shave with Unipods
Drilled mufflers and degoat
TOC springs
N/C Street shield EX windshield
Jumbo Saddleman Highway Studded saddlebags
Willie and Max Saddlebag mounting kit
License plate turn signals
Home made sissy bar
Luggage Rack from Scoop
http://youtube.com/user/99vulcan750
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-23-2008, 01:41 PM

I just lowered my bike with the brackets on this forum. I tried to upload pictures but
unable to. I had a machine shop make my brackets out of aircraft grade aluminum 5/16'
Also had my axle lengthened 3/4' to make up for the brackets. I didn't want to grind on swing arm or cut the castle nut down. I want all the strength that is suposed to be
built in to the bike. I had to cut the top of the brackets down about 3/8" to clear the shocks. Other wise every thing fit fine. As far as handeling, not that much differance.
And yes, the hole for the axle is larger than the drawings.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-23-2008, 03:57 PM
Sparky!!!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
I just lowered my bike with the brackets on this forum. I tried to upload pictures but
unable to. I had a machine shop make my brackets out of aircraft grade aluminum 5/16'
Also had my axle lengthened 3/4' to make up for the brackets. I didn't want to grind on swing arm or cut the castle nut down. I want all the strength that is supposed to be
built in to the bike. I had to cut the top of the brackets down about 3/8" to clear the shocks. Other wise every thing fit fine. As far as handling, not that much difference.
And yes, the hole for the axle is larger than the drawings.
3/4' isn't that 9" wow that is a long axle...you got spear heads on the ends of it??? is it legal to have that much material sticking out...and I wanna see pics of this...lol

Just giving you heck Curtis, I realize you meant to say 3/4"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement