New Metzeler ME880 Marathons - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Wheels, Suspension and Brakes
Everything to do with wheels, tires,
suspension, forks and brakes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-23-2008, 04:28 PM Thread Starter

Send a message via Yahoo to tkellogg08
New Metzeler ME880 Marathons

I just got my new tires put on and took it for about a 40 mile ride. I knew it would handle a little different but I wasn't expecting it to be like this. With the old tires, I had to keep a good amount of pressure on the handlebars to keep it leaned into the turn, otherwise it would try to straighten up too soon. With the new tires, as I was expecting and hoping for, it leans much easier and feels more stable. What I wasn't expecting was for it to try to lean more than needed in the turns. I don't know if it's the tires or just me not being used to good tires on this bike. I guess I wasn't expecting the steering to be so neutral in a turn. I was expecting it to just need a little less pressure to hold the lean in a turn. A couple of times it almost felt like it wanted to keep leaning and I had to pull it out of the lean to keep from making the turn too sharp. Is this the normal handling for this bike? I know I can certainly live with the way it handles now better than the way it was.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-23-2008, 05:35 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

Depends on the speed as you turn...a slow speed turn and excess lean angle will make it feel like it wants to fall into the turn. That's just the bike; size, wheelbase, geometry, etc.

Med and higher speed turns shouldn't feel like that.

If you're running new Met's, and the steering head and wheel bearings are at least decent, then I'd say what you're experiencing is normal, for a Vulcan. They aren't "corner carving" bikes by any means, but it's not just a road sofa either.

Clear as mud?

(disclaimer: I'm sure there are things I'm forgetting to mention, hopefully I can be forgiven)
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-23-2008, 05:50 PM

I just put the ME880s on mine last week and had the exact same experience. The feel was much different. For the first few minutes it had that "balancing on a ball" feeling. It takes alot less pressure to lean. You basically think about turning and you already are. I had the Dunlop Elite 3s on before. I love the way it handles with the Metzlers. I wasn't expecting such a big difference. I wish I had these on for the last couple of years instead of the Dunlops.

"Shutting up rarely leads to anything bad"

Joe McAdoo
Springfield, MO
[email protected]
VROC # 28175
-2004 Vulcan 1500 Classic 22000 miles
-1995 VN750 (Back home again!) 25000 miles
-1995 Suzuki DR350 Dualsport 1720 miles

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-23-2008, 06:15 PM
Undercover Sportbiker

The thing to remember about new tires is that they are still nice and round, so they lean super easy. The myth about new tires being slick and that people low side in turns because of it is actually caused by using too much pressure in the turn with the rounder profile of a new tire. It'll wear in after a couple hundred miles and not feel like it wants to keep going all the way to the ground on ya. You'll suddenly realize one day that they are doing *exactly* what you are telling them to do with very little effort. If your fist check ride was 40 miles, it should happen fairly soon for you.

post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-23-2008, 07:54 PM Thread Starter

Send a message via Yahoo to tkellogg08
I know with the old tire that was worn nearly flat across the tread was causing it to try to run straight even when turning. Some of the curves I was taking were at 55 to 60 and posted at 35 so I was pushing it some but nowhere near the tire's limit. My granddaughter wanted to go for a ride so I took her on about a 35 mile ride then a couple of the neighbor's kids around close and now have about 86 miles on the tires. Either I'm getting more used to the way they ride or they're beginning wear in some. Regardless of what's really going on, I love they way they handle and don't have the road walk the old ones did.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-23-2008, 08:18 PM
and the Adventure Cycle

IMO, it's the tires wearing in, and you getting used to them.
More than likely, next time you get the tires changed, you'll think those tires handle much better than the old tires (even if ya get the same tires).
But it's just that you're used to the way the old worn out tires handled, as opposed to how new tires handle.

And AJ, I agree with you too a point, but with new tires, there is still a break-in time that you should not push the tires to hard through, whether hard turns or even hard stops.

But I'm sure some incidents are from riders not anticipating how the new tires will react.

AKA: Tim & 'The Adventure Cycle' VROC #24567, NEVROC, SteelCity VROC

"When life throws you curves,
Aim for the apex."

Author Unknown
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-23-2008, 09:56 PM
Old Fart

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJCruzin View Post
...... The myth about new tires being slick and that people low side in turns because of it is actually caused by using too much pressure in the turn with the rounder profile of a new tire..

Sorry, it is not a "myth" , new tires are slick and do take some time to become tackier. This is why you should not toss your bike hard into turns on new rubber. The rear end sliding out is do to loss of traction, not bad steering input.

New tires always feel diffrent than the worn ones they replaced.

Granted, some tire designs do make the bike "fall into a turn quicker" (or slower) and this is mostly due to profile, but carcass stiffness, tread pattern, the compound used and tire pressure also.

The original poster did not metion what tire pressure he was running, and it should be noted that 880's do require more pressure than the stock tire.

But all things equal, (and they are not) new tires will feel diffrent and act diffrent than worn tires. If you got the bike new with new stock tires, you would have slowly gotten used to the change in feel as the tire wore. By the time the tires needed replacing, you would have already altered your riding habit to work with them not even realizing it. You only really notice the difference when you put on new rubber. (Even if it is the same model tire)

If new tires lost their "roundness" in just a couple hundred miles, they would wear completely out in a few thousand, not 6-10,000 miles.

KM

If You Are Not Sure If I Am Joking or Not....I AM !!Photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/knifemaker1954/sets/
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-24-2008, 11:09 AM

What pressures do you run with? The shop had mine at 40 lbs when I picked it up.

"Shutting up rarely leads to anything bad"

Joe McAdoo
Springfield, MO
[email protected]
VROC # 28175
-2004 Vulcan 1500 Classic 22000 miles
-1995 VN750 (Back home again!) 25000 miles
-1995 Suzuki DR350 Dualsport 1720 miles
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-24-2008, 04:06 PM
Old Fart

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joem View Post
What pressures do you run with? The shop had mine at 40 lbs when I picked it up.
I think the Metz 880's are 36 psi front and 40 rear. But not a 100% sure on that.

I have a link somewhere that gave the reccomended pressure, if I find it I'll come back and post it.

KM

If You Are Not Sure If I Am Joking or Not....I AM !!Photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/knifemaker1954/sets/
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-24-2008, 06:23 PM
Rider on the Storm

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joem View Post
I thought it was 44 on the rear, 38 on the front. I run mine at 45 and 39.

EZC

Sponsored Links
Advertisement