Trying Dunlop D404's - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Wheels, Suspension and Brakes
Everything to do with wheels, tires,
suspension, forks and brakes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-17-2005, 07:17 PM Thread Starter

Trying Dunlop D404's

Just took off a pair of Bridgestone Spitfires with 10,700 miles on them and put on a set of Dunlop D404's yesterday. I see the www.dunlopmotorcycle.com site recommends 41 psi rear and 34 psi front.

That's a big difference from the 32 rear and 28 front I was using in the Bridgestones. They had started to cup a little, but still had 3/32 rear and about 4/32 front tread depth. I got the new tires mainly because of an upcoming trip to Texas.

I plan to try a lower pressure in the rear and see how the ride goes. Let me know what kind of wear you've experienced with this tire and what pressure you used - especially if you weigh close to 185 lbs as I do.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-18-2005, 12:56 AM

Re: Trying Dunlop D404's

hi victor ; i also have the dunlop 404's .have about 1,000 mi. on them .i am about 180 lbs,and carry maybe another 15 lbs.(saddle bags and tool pouch). i was using two sets of pressure cause of ocassionally my wife and i would take a cruise around the area. but then i was lower the pressure when i drove solo.this got to be a nuisance so i settled for an in between pressure. i now have pressure set @ 34 lbs. front and 38 lbs. rear.the shocks are set at #3 .if anything the right is a tad on the taught side but well controlled. i'm pleased with the ride and the tires still look brand new. i had a set of bridgestones too, down to wear bars in center @ 8300 mi.(previous owner). hard to say how many miles will be on by end of season but i'll try to get back to you with how the 404's are holding up.have a good trip to texas.regards ken smith
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-19-2005, 04:47 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the response, Ken.

I rode with 36 psi rear and 34 psi front the other night. It seemed a bit bouncy in the front. The Kawasaki dealer who mounted the tires told me 38 rear and 36 front. It seems the higher the pressure the rougher the ride. I'll experiment.

The Dunlops are more sensitive to steering input than the Bridgestones I had and will take a little getting used to. New tires on a m-cycle are a world away from new tires on a car/truck.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-20-2005, 02:48 AM

hi victor; my last ride was at 33 frt and 37 rear solo. seemed ok to me. i'll keep in touch , good luck ,ken p.s. what do you have your shocks set at ? also what air pressure if any in the shocks. mine are at #3 not sure on the air ,will have to check that.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-20-2005, 09:57 PM Thread Starter

With my last set of tires I found that having the rear shocks set on #2 and atmospheric pressure worked best when riding alone. I tried a little extra air pressure and #3 setting, but it was too hard of a ride for me, alone.

I started adding 20 lbs pressure to the shocks and set them on #4 for with riders ranging from 120 - 150 lbs. I haven't had the air pump very long, so the air adjustment may change in the future when carrying passengers.

I will increase tire pressure for passengers also and experiment until I get used to the new tires.

I wanted to ride today, but instead I finished staining the deck and gazebo.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-15-2008, 05:55 PM

40 in both, 12,000 miles rear 15,000 front.
Less air softer ride, quicker wear rate; Shocks set at 2 weight 175, or at least that what i tell you ha ha!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement