where do you buy your tires from? - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Wheels, Suspension and Brakes
Everything to do with wheels, tires,
suspension, forks and brakes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-11-2016, 08:20 AM Thread Starter
Headbanger/Popes of Hell

where do you buy your tires from?

I just bought a few tires for our Vulcans. I bought a nice new Metzler Marathon 880 rear tier for my wife's EN500 Vulcan. I got it from Motorcyce Super Store.

I also bought a set (both over sided) of Shinko 777 tires for my VN750, from a place called Rocky Mountain ATV/MC.

here's my experience with both.......

I ordered the wife's tire first on Friday June 3rd, from Motorcycle Super Store. got free 3 day shipping, because the order was over $89, or somthing like that. ok, cool. I'm down with that.

then on Sunday, June 5th, I ordered the set of tires for my VN750, from Rocky Mountain ATV/MC. got free shipping also, because the cost of the order being more than $75. now according to their website, the tiers were considered "oversize" and would take 4-5 busness days for shipping instead of 3 days. ok, I get it. not a problem.

well, here what really happened........

on Tuesday, June 7th, when I got home from work, my wife's tire was sitting outside my front door. cool. three day free shipping, just like Motorcycle Super Store said.

after being home for about 15 minutes, the Fed Ex guy shows up with a set of tires. yup, the set I ordered form Rocky Mountain ATV/MC, the set that I was not expecting until Friday June 10th, showed up. 2 DAYS FREE SHIPPING! now that really rocks!

as for everything else, both places prices were the same and the lowest I could fine on these tires annwhere. but, Motorcyce Super Store, did not have/stock the size rear tire for my VN750.

I have bought tires form Motorcyce Super Store, in the past. they have the lowest prices and fast free shipping.
but now, I think I'm gonna keep buying from Rocky Mountain ATV/MC. they just 1 up Motorcyce Super Store. same prices, more choices/sizes and faster free shipping!

if it goes vroom or boom, I LIKE IT!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-11-2016, 12:21 PM
Old Fart

Garage
As you are in Ohio...MS is located in Oregon and the east coast. Rocky Mountain is located in Utah and Kentucky. So shipping to you is likely faster from RM.
MS is a perhaps a much larger supplier....but it is odd they didn't carry the "oversize" tires. RM said they didn't stock them, but could get them. It's possible they were sent to you from a different supplier for Rocky Mountain...they may have been even closer to Ohio..
For me, I've never heard any bad stuff about Motorcycle Superstore, and I like what they write about themselves:

"Motorcycle Superstore isnít just about selling the best gear for lowest prices; we actively seek out ways to give back to the racing and riding communities with sponsorships, charity benefits and generous donations. Affiliations with organizations such as St. Judeís Childrenís Hospital, RiderDown Foundation and Childrenís Miracle Network are just a few of the ways we connect with riders and their families. We stay true to our roots and regularly participate in hometown events to support the local motorcycle clubs. We recognize the need for a healthy image and sustainable land use, which led us to partner with environmental experts like the BlueRibbon Coalition and Tread Lightly. We are proud to support the industry at its grass roots levels, including, but not limited to, the amateur racing at Loretta Lynnís MX championships and the historical Grand National Championship Flat Track series. Weíre race fans through and through, racing is at the heart of our culture so youíll definitely see us out and about at events ranging from MotoGP to motocross to enduro."

So, generally, I'd support them over another company unless the price was significantly lower.
However if it's a matter of simply how quick I can get something, I'd imagine for me RM might be quicker if they are shipping from Kentucky to Missouri.
But feel free to post your experience in the "Vendors" section, as any reliable source for bike stuff is always good to know...

If You Are Not Sure If I Am Joking or Not....I AM !!Photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/knifemaker1954/sets/
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-11-2016, 05:19 PM Thread Starter
Headbanger/Popes of Hell

no, RM showed/offered them on their website and had them in stock at the time when I ordered them.

I've ordered from MS before. I don't really have a problem with them. Although, I do remember a member (yes, I just said "member") just recently posting on here about some grievances that they had with MS.

For me, I have never heard of RM before. I was not expecting the great experience that I got from them. I was truly impressed. As you have already read.

As for what you have quoted from MS, I never seen/read that before. That's cool. Good for them. I'm glad I was able help support them too. But in the future, I will most likely check out RM first. Who knows, maybe RM does the samething? I May have to look into it. If they do, then it will be a win, win, since I just supported both companies.

As for where I posted this thread.....well, you're a mod, so if I have indeed, posted it in the wrong place, then feel free to move this thread. but, I say to you and I quote; "Everything to do with wheels, tires,
suspension, forks and brakes" is what it says under the heading of "Wheels, Suspension and Brakes".

Last edited by ruger; 06-11-2016 at 05:27 PM.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-11-2016, 09:04 PM
Linkmeister Supreme

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruger View Post
no, RM showed/offered them on their website and had them in stock at the time when I ordered them.

I've ordered from MS before. I don't really have a problem with them. Although, I do remember a member (yes, I just said "member") just recently posting on here about some grievances that they had with MS.

For me, I have never heard of RM before. I was not expecting the great experience that I got from them. I was truly impressed. As you have already read.

As for what you have quoted from MS, I never seen/read that before. That's cool. Good for them. I'm glad I was able help support them too. But in the future, I will most likely check out RM first. Who knows, maybe RM does the samething? I May have to look into it. If they do, then it will be a win, win, since I just supported both companies.

As for where I posted this thread.....well, you're a mod, so if I have indeed, posted it in the wrong place, then feel free to move this thread. but, I say to you and I quote; "Everything to do with wheels, tires,
suspension, forks and brakes" is what it says under the heading of "Wheels, Suspension and Brakes".
I can't get too worked up over splitting hairs as to where this thread should be located. It is true ruger that this forum is for everything to do with wheels and tires...etc. But I see KMs point too because you were not really talking about anything to do with the tires handling, wear or any other physical virtues they may have.

You were after all, only comparing one vendor with another regarding price and shipping speed. So I can see merit in Kms view that this thread could have been placed in the Vendors forum.

However had it been me in your shoes, I may not have thought to use the vendors forum either, as I very seldom even remember we have it on the board.

Gordon

1991 VN 750 -"Cosmic Lady" or "Bad Girl"?
Purchased May 16, 2008
Approx.19,300km (12,000 miles)

H-D windshield
Relocated R/R
MF-AGM battery
Fiamm Freeway Blaster horns
F&S luggage rack and engine guard
Kury Offset Hiway pegs
July 13, 2016, Riding on the DARKSIDE now, Classic Radial 165/80-15

TOP TEN THINGS A NEW RIDER/OWNER SHOULD DO. Click on link.
https://www.vn750.com/forum/11-vn750-general-discussion/9127-top-ten-items-you-would-suggest-new-owner-do-his-new-ride.html
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-12-2016, 08:31 AM Thread Starter
Headbanger/Popes of Hell

Quote:
Originally Posted by OlHossCanada View Post
I can't get too worked up over splitting hairs as to where this thread should be located. It is true ruger that this forum is for everything to do with wheels and tires...etc. But I see KMs point too because you were not really talking about anything to do with the tires handling, wear or any other physical virtues they may have.

You were after all, only comparing one vendor with another regarding price and shipping speed. So I can see merit in Kms view that this thread could have been placed in the Vendors forum.

However had it been me in your shoes, I may not have thought to use the vendors forum either, as I very seldom even remember we have it on the board.
I'm cool with all that. and just so you know, I'm cool with you too, Hoss.

I'm sorry. in my haste to post this thread yesterday, I didn't scroll down far enough to see the "venters" section on the form page. my bad, again I'm sorry. I made a mistake, so sue me. whatever.

what I did see was what I quoted before and I just ran with it.

I too, don't really see the point of spliting hairs over where this was posted. that was the point I was (but failed) to get across.

again, if it bothered KM so much that I posted this in the wrong place, he has the power to just move it and should just done so. but, instead he just chose to bitch about it and do nothing. kind of a moot point, for a mod.

as I like to say, "don't talk about it, be about it!", meaning, actions, speak louder than words.

I also told KM "feel free to move this thread".

once again, I apologize for being human and making a mistake.

post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-12-2016, 09:39 AM

Bought my Shinko 230 Tourmaster tires from Pinwall Cycle in Massilon, Oh. At some point after that they became a Shinko dealer, under shinkotiresdirect.com.

Now what's funny, if you look at that website now, there's just a notice that says: Thank you for your support we are done selling tires for the season please check us out in the spring. Subscribe for updates and future deals. http://www.shinkotiresdirect.com/

While I was happy with the price and performance, I was disappointed with the rear tire wear. 5000 miles and the center tread is smooth. That tire really just has one zig-zag line and some dots for the center tread, but anyway, it's pretty much gone now. The front tire had cracks in it and wasn't very old when I mounted it.

I may try one of the other Shinko models next time, but I may go Metzeler too. Not sure the 230 Tourmaster is still available.

Someone posted last month about a bad experience with ordering from MS, gideon, maybe.

2003-21k mi
Shaved w/UniPK92+Stock Jets-TPE/MOSFET-Shinko Tires-AGM batt-bags-chrome-LEDs...more
__________________________________________________ ____________
Repair Manual: http://www.mediafire.com/file/mj7z81..._Catalogue.pdf

Owner's Manual: http://www.mediafire.com/file/nscb5f...ers+Manual.pdf
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-13-2016, 11:55 AM
2014 KLR 650!

BOught mine off Amazon and pretty sure that link is around here someplace

2014 Kawasaki KLR 650
Back to the Kawa World
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-13-2016, 12:53 PM
Old Fart

Garage
To be clear, I never said this thread was in the wrong place. What I did say, was if you indeed did have a positive experience with Rocky Mountain..."feel free to post your experience in the Vendors section" for others to share and to share their future dealings with them also.
Yes, that's what that section is for...positive or negative feedback on vendors that folks here have dealt with. Not bitching, just pointing that out...

And yes, If I thought this thread should be there....... it would be....

If You Are Not Sure If I Am Joking or Not....I AM !!Photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/knifemaker1954/sets/
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-14-2016, 09:16 PM

Garage
MS is my 1st stop for street tires. I've bought plenty of dirt tires from RM but never street. Have nothing but good things to say about both companies. As far as shipping it does depend where you live. I could sing the praises of revzilla for street gear but I do live about 1 1/2hrs from philidelphia so I get shipping ridiculously fast. Like next day for free.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-22-2016, 10:19 AM

Yeah, MS sent me a front tire made in early 2013. I tried to get a newer one and pushed hard with supervisor but no dice. It's chance and anything up to 5 years old is allowed shipped out. They would have accepted return though.

I got another tire from bikebandit and was very happy and I believe they can check dates of requested unlike MS; and would use them or the highly recommended rocky mrn atv on here.

Also re: shinko 230s I am unimpressed with mold quality/excessive flashing. I would be interested to see the kenda kruz as a better econo budget option.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement