Front alignment - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Wheels, Suspension and Brakes
Everything to do with wheels, tires,
suspension, forks and brakes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-25-2016, 08:32 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Front alignment

I have handlebars on order, but besides them being twisted ( left is about an inch forward of right ), when i am riding "straight" the upper fork mounting bracket is about 3 to 4 degrees turned to the right, so besides the handlebars facing right a bit, the forks from the angle of rider's eye are turned.

The only advice i could find here on the forums was knifemaker's comment about giving them a quick shove with the front tire held in position. The guy at the shop that sold me the bike said to take a crowbar approach. Ima thinking it would take at least a 4 to 6 foot bar to get the torque this will need. My biggest concern is that what turns one way, might just give the other and i'll end up f'ing it up somehow worse than the tree that taught the original owner a lesson. Know what i mean? I'm not worried about f'ing up the handle bars since they are getting replaced.

Is there any another way?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-25-2016, 08:52 PM
Super Moderator

you could always pull the fork legs off and verify there is not any slight bending in them. pull front wheel, remove brake calipers, and loosen the pinch bolts on upper and lower triple tree.. slide fork tube out. roll on known flat surface to see how f'ed they are (if at all).

or maybe just need to loosen the pinch bolts and let them 'fall' back into proper alignment, if you know what I mean. thats assuming the tubes are not bent in any way

2005 VN750

Sold 11-27-17

Last edited by michiganteddybear; 02-25-2016 at 08:54 PM.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-25-2016, 09:07 PM

Does it pull to one side when you take your hands off the bars?

2003-21k mi
Shaved w/UniPK92+Stock Jets-TPE/MOSFET-Shinko Tires-AGM batt-bags-chrome-LEDs...more
__________________________________________________ ____________
Repair Manual: http://www.mediafire.com/file/mj7z81..._Catalogue.pdf

Owner's Manual: http://www.mediafire.com/file/nscb5f...ers+Manual.pdf

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-25-2016, 09:45 PM
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to OleDirtyDoc
Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganteddybear View Post
you could always pull the fork legs off and verify there is not any slight bending in them. pull front wheel, remove brake calipers, and loosen the pinch bolts on upper and lower triple tree.. slide fork tube out. roll on known flat surface to see how f'ed they are (if at all).

or maybe just need to loosen the pinch bolts and let them 'fall' back into proper alignment, if you know what I mean. thats assuming the tubes are not bent in any way
Yup.loosen pinch bolts first.if they're not bent they will straighten

ONE RATS ASS GIVEN PER POST
Support your local FREEBIRDS MC
1986/5 Vn700/750 Frankenfook cross eyed bitch "Mellisa Fayhe"
I am a BIKER and i'm proud.FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY

lowered with progessive 412 10" shocks
rejetted for K/N Pods part#rc 2340
sportster seat

'I didn't lose my mind.i gave it away

BRING BACK WOLFIE."Peace and Carrots"RIP
"And I'm free...as a bird"John Lennon Free as a Bird
"I only carry when I have my pants on"Joe Robinson RIP aka Old Dog
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-25-2016, 11:26 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spockster View Post
Does it pull to one side when you take your hands off the bars?
No, rides just fine. So for example, lets say my hands are off the bars and i am cruising on a typical run up to the next stop light doing about 30 or so. . . straight as ruler and steering her in between car mirrors is easy too, she steers well and balanced.

But while cruising along straight, the line of the lower dash panel with the idiot lights is like at a 3 to 4 degree turning to the right along with the line of the tree underneath, and it *IS* flush and level with that upper bracket ( so the dash panel has its left side more forward/higher ). So then add to that the handle bars being about an inch out of whack as well. They are two different issues both doing the same thing. We are about 99% sure this original owner wrapped this around a pole or whatever... ( clutch handle was busted, left turn signal snapped in half, dent on left side of fuel tank, broken speedometer cable cradle on the lower left fork, . . . ).
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-25-2016, 11:33 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganteddybear View Post

Never worked on the front end before. If those pinch bolts on the trees are loosened, will the bike's front end lose its support? I am picturing it sliding down the forks in my mind until the frame meets the gravel.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-26-2016, 01:27 AM
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to OleDirtyDoc
Put it on the centerstand and put a Jack stand under front of motor or use a motorcycle jack

ONE RATS ASS GIVEN PER POST
Support your local FREEBIRDS MC
1986/5 Vn700/750 Frankenfook cross eyed bitch "Mellisa Fayhe"
I am a BIKER and i'm proud.FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY

lowered with progessive 412 10" shocks
rejetted for K/N Pods part#rc 2340
sportster seat

'I didn't lose my mind.i gave it away

BRING BACK WOLFIE."Peace and Carrots"RIP
"And I'm free...as a bird"John Lennon Free as a Bird
"I only carry when I have my pants on"Joe Robinson RIP aka Old Dog
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-26-2016, 08:38 AM
Old Fart

Garage
My "tweek" method works fine without loosening the pinch bolts, but you still can do that as it will not need as much force.
If you're worried about the forks pushing up, just loosen the lower bolts and not the upper ones.

It is possible the forks are bent, so you might just want to go ahead and dissemble the front end to check, but I'd only do that if you can't re-tweek the forks or some other issue develops.

If You Are Not Sure If I Am Joking or Not....I AM !!Photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/knifemaker1954/sets/
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-26-2016, 04:43 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knifemaker View Post
My "tweek" method works fine without loosening the pinch bolts, but you still can do that as it will not need as much force.
If you're worried about the forks pushing up, just loosen the lower bolts and not the upper ones.

It is possible the forks are bent, so you might just want to go ahead and dissemble the front end to check, but I'd only do that if you can't re-tweek the forks or some other issue develops.
Thank you all for the tips. Better safe then sorry. Rode up to the valley this morning and borrowed the motorcycle clamp/rack, whatever it's called, and a jack just in case. Only loosened the lower bolts and used the handlebars with a right shoulder into the throttle sort of shove several times making sure not to go too far, then purposely went a little further so it would relax back to level. Tightened up the bolts again, removed the jack and with arms down the side doing ~30, coasting downhill a few times, she is straight as an arrow now.

Thank you all again.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-26-2016, 07:51 PM

Glad you got it, now if I may tag on to your thread....

My bike pulls to the left. I've replaced both fork tubes and rebuilt the forks. When I installed the forks, a depth gauge was used to set the height at the top of the triple tree. Haven't noticed that the dash is misaligned as Roadhopper described, but I'll look closer. It pulled left with the old bent forks, and still pulls just about as much.

So far haven't been able to get the pull out of it, been thinking of checking/adjusting the swingarm alignment, but haven't got there yet.

Suppose I should loosen the forks and let the tubes rest where they find center, regardless of the height? Tweak the front while it's loose. and which direction? It's pulling left, so I should tweak to the right? (like pushing the wheel to the right)

Towards the end of longer rides, I'm sitting off to the right on my seat, to rest my arms/shoulders I guess. Sometimes I get enough weight in the right saddlebag.

2003-21k mi
Shaved w/UniPK92+Stock Jets-TPE/MOSFET-Shinko Tires-AGM batt-bags-chrome-LEDs...more
__________________________________________________ ____________
Repair Manual: http://www.mediafire.com/file/mj7z81..._Catalogue.pdf

Owner's Manual: http://www.mediafire.com/file/nscb5f...ers+Manual.pdf
Sponsored Links
Advertisement