Brake Dust - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Wheels, Suspension and Brakes
Everything to do with wheels, tires,
suspension, forks and brakes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-10-2005, 12:53 PM Thread Starter
Dan

Question Brake Dust

I have a new VN750 with about 600 miles on it. I notice a large amount of brake dust starting to accumulate on the rim of the rear wheel. It's a real black, fine powder. Is this just because the bike is new, and is "wearing-in" the brake shoes or is this stuff an indication of some sort of problem that I should see the dealer about? I'd appreciate someones opinion.
Thanks,
Dan - Seattle
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-11-2005, 08:17 AM

Re: Brake Dust

Is it mostly on the left or right side of the rear wheel (looking at the bike from the rear)?

CD in Frederick, OK
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-11-2005, 11:38 AM Thread Starter
Dan

Looking at the bike from the rear, the heavy black dust accumulation is about 95% on the right side. I cleaned it all off and I notice it is not showing up as fast as it was. There seems to be less now. I have about 700 miles on the bike now. Thanks for responding.

Dan - Seattle

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-16-2005, 10:45 PM Thread Starter
Dan

Talking Re: Brake Dust

In case anyone cares, after I cleaned the black brake dust off the right side of my rear wheel, it never came back.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-17-2005, 05:41 AM

Although no one says it a lot, we always appriciate updates.

Ride Safe
Wayne
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-17-2005, 08:47 PM

Last year my 2004 VN 750 did the same thing during the first 500 miles. I've got around 5,300 miles on the clock now and there's been no black dust since that first that showed up during break-in. My dealer said that was normal for a new VN 750.

Wally Colly

2004 VN750 "Freedom"
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-28-2005, 09:27 PM

My 750 is brand new and I noticed this during the first 75 miles. Mostly on the right side I think, it is all blown off now and hasn't reappeared. I'm up to a whopping 150 mi after a few rides and I haven't noticed it since.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-29-2005, 03:13 PM

I too have seen this black dust. I went to my dealer on Friday after work to talk to them about it. They cleaned the wheel for me and I haven't seen it again. They too were stumped at first as to what it could be. I have put 2k mile on my bike it's first 3 weeks on the road.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-30-2005, 10:01 PM

After removing the rear wheel on my 750 and looking at the rear brakes I saw the dust everyone is talking about. I think it's normal wearing from the brake pads and as the dust accumulates it can at times disperse onto the wheel from road shock as we ride down the road hitting bumps, etc. I removed the pads and cleaned the drum and put it all back together. I really do'n think there is a problem unless of course your hearing noises coming from your brakes...then you'll want to check that out. Just my $.02 worth.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement