Everything to do with wheels, tires,
suspension, forks and brakes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 64 (permalink) Old 07-05-2008, 12:20 PM Thread Starter
Sparky!!!

Garage
Stretched Forks

OK, here is my over all plan...
I want to drop the rear of the bike about 2" and raise the front about an inch while giving it a meaner Rake....I K now how to lower the rear...but how do I lift the front...any body know of some longer tubes from another bike that will work on these bikes to give me the needed length? also as far as giving it a rake...I understand that this is not going to be an easy chore...but my buddy has a jig that we are going to put my frame onto so we can cut the neck off and re weld it on at the desired angle...I just need to find out what tubes i need before cutting so i can determine the angels at which to re weld the neck onto the bike.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 64 (permalink) Old 07-05-2008, 08:54 PM

Forking By Frank, they have any length you want http://www.frankmain.qpg.com/

I think these kits are kinda $$$ but you can add a rake without cutinng the frame http://www.chopper-kit-usa.com/kawas...opper-kits.htm

Glenn

1985 VN700
Saddle Bags
Small Sport Windshield
R/R moved
Home built coasters
Kaw touring front fender
1990 Fuel tank
Kenda Kruz 110/90-19 & 170/80-15 tires
NGK Iridium plugs
NGK plug caps and 7mm copper core wires.
Deer Whistles

My VN700 pic's

VROC #7740

Last edited by Glenn M; 07-05-2008 at 08:59 PM.
post #3 of 64 (permalink) Old 07-06-2008, 02:14 AM Thread Starter
Sparky!!!

Garage
you haven'
t read my other threads glen..i have 3000 total to spend on the bike..spent 1000 on the bike itself...and i cant justify throwing 1800 plus s&H at the forks alone....And as far as having them built for me that is also going to add big money...

Let me restart this hole topic...I am building a true chopper out of my bike. I am going back to the oldschool ways before every one and their brother started making custom parts. I am Building and fabing everything my self. All parts bought for this bike HAVE to be stock from another bike and have to be able to be found from a used scource... My over all goal is to have a $30,000 looking bike for $3000.

post #4 of 64 (permalink) Old 07-06-2008, 02:33 AM

Forks by frank are cheap all things considered, i'd take a look at pricing on JUST the uppers. You dont need to by the whole front end. The other place you might be able to find longer forks is off a dirt bike.

When I chopped My honda, I lowered and hardtailed the rear, and then raked the front by stretching the downtubes and backbone. I tried to go with stock fork tubes. but ended up trading for a set of 2 over forks off a different bike.

Another option would be to run a taller front wheel.

Total price tag on my Honda ran 1900.00. Including the inspection and registration

85 VN750 basketcase ( yes its a true 750, and no smog controls, its good to be Canadian)
It will have
a rebuilt 96 top end, rebuilt 85 bottom end
degoated, Eared
stripped, lowered, raked, bobbed,
reed valve boxes shaved
ported and polished
balanced
right side dump exhaust
heads and cylinders shaved for compression
looking for smoothbore sidedraft carbs
possibly fat bob tanks
modified vn800 or sportster drag pipes or I'll just make some

Chopperfix
Duck's Garage
post #5 of 64 (permalink) Old 07-06-2008, 03:15 AM

Ducks right, I haven't bought a set of tubes from Frank's in quite a while, but they make quality stuff. I'm thinking around a couple hundred bucks or so will get you a set of 4130 Chrome Molly upper tubes, any length you want, a direct R&R, just unbolt the lowers and install on the new tubes. Or find some longer 38mm forks off a dirt bike.

Glenn

1985 VN700
Saddle Bags
Small Sport Windshield
R/R moved
Home built coasters
Kaw touring front fender
1990 Fuel tank
Kenda Kruz 110/90-19 & 170/80-15 tires
NGK Iridium plugs
NGK plug caps and 7mm copper core wires.
Deer Whistles

My VN700 pic's

VROC #7740
post #6 of 64 (permalink) Old 07-06-2008, 03:28 AM Thread Starter
Sparky!!!

Garage
thanks guys..i have been doing some more research on the neck to find a triple tree that is compatible wit our neck. so far no luck..

I am looking for the thread that contained something about a reverse parts look up....can't remember where i saw it...it was just posted within the past few days though. With the Revers look up along with the inside DIA of our necks i should be able to put all of this information to good work...

Thanks for the stock tube DIA just in case i need to go that route as well

well found out a lot of good stuff...first off I found out that a KZ1000 LTD uses the same Triple Tree as ours... also found out that the 1987 A1: VN1500 uses a different triple tree, but the stem uses the same bearings as our smaller bike... so now i am in wait of two emails...one from a guy with forks off of the KZ1000 LTD to see if the forks are longer (and how much longer) than the VN 750, and a second email from a guy with the VN1500 whole front assembly to find out if those forks are longer and to determine the length of the stem to see if it will match up to mine.

How do you measure the stem to determine if it is going to add or subtract rake angle when installed? If the whole setup for the 1500 is going to add some rake i might go that route for now and add stretched tubes later down the road...

Last edited by slimvulcanrider; 07-06-2008 at 04:08 AM.
post #7 of 64 (permalink) Old 07-06-2008, 09:10 AM

Most stock trees are built with no additional rake. Most experts will tell you not to use raked trees until you hit rakes of 40 deg or more, and then only to adjust your trail.
Increasing the length of your forks will raise the front end, increasing the rake and trail. Using longer forktube and raking the neck without raising the neck will also increase your rake and trail. Also Lowering the rear of the bike increases the rake.
My honda went from a 30 deg rake to a 36 deg rake, just be stretching the front frame downtubes 2".

Don't forget to measaure the length of the stem on the forks you want to use. If the stem is too short for your neck, you won't be able to fit the bearings, same goes if the stem is too long.

A favorite trick among chopperheds is to remove the stem from your stock tree and weld it into your new trees. This is commonly done to use Harley front ends on Jap bikes.

85 VN750 basketcase ( yes its a true 750, and no smog controls, its good to be Canadian)
It will have
degoated, Eared
reed valve boxes shaved
ported and polished
balanced
right side dump exhaust
possibly fat bob tanks

Chopperfix
Duck's Garage

Last edited by Duck; 07-06-2008 at 09:14 AM.
post #8 of 64 (permalink) Old 07-06-2008, 09:19 AM

Take a look at this

http://www.rbracing-rsr.com/rakeandtrail.html

It will have
degoated, Eared
reed valve boxes shaved
ported and polished
balanced
right side dump exhaust
possibly fat bob tanks

Chopperfix
Duck's Garage
post #9 of 64 (permalink) Old 07-06-2008, 04:34 PM Thread Starter
Sparky!!!

Garage
Hey duck...good idea about the stem...never thought of using my old stem...what about using the neck off of another bike that i would be using the triple tree from??

next quest what did you mean by racking the neck without raising it? my plan is to cut the neck off the bike where the down tubes meet the spline. Also I will cut off the neck braces and build new braces weld the braces back onto the frame fallowed by re welding the neck onto the braces...the new brace would have the desired angle worked into it.

How much work would be involved stretching our Down Tubes?

one last question...after reading the article that Duck gave us on calculating rake...it looks like if i want to cut off the neck and re weld it with more rake involved then i will need a raked set of triple trees to offset the trail... am i thinking on this correctly???

Last edited by slimvulcanrider; 07-06-2008 at 04:53 PM.
post #10 of 64 (permalink) Old 07-06-2008, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slimvulcanrider View Post
Hey duck...good idea about the stem...never thought of using my old stem...what about using the neck off of another bike that i would be using the triple tree from??
Since most states and provinces register bike of the neck numbers, its easier to change out the stem.

Quote:
next quest what did you mean by racking the neck without raising it? my plan is to cut the neck off the bike where the down tubes meet the spline. Also I will cut off the neck braces and build new braces weld the braces back onto the frame fallowed by re welding the neck onto the braces...the new brace would have the desired angle worked into it.
This would be the best way,

Quote:
How much work would be involved stretching our Down Tubes?
Too much to be worthwhile, because of the removeable frame section. I have another way figured out that should be easier

Quote:
one last question...after reading the article that Duck gave us on calculating rake...it looks like if i want to cut off the neck and re weld it with more rake involved then i will need a raked set of triple trees to offset the trail... am i thinking on this correctly???
If you rake past 40 degrees or so and your trail measures up to be too much, raked trees can help bring it back in line. It depends on how mych trail you end up with

It will have
degoated, Eared
reed valve boxes shaved
ported and polished
balanced
right side dump exhaust
possibly fat bob tanks