Rear Brake Shake - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Wheels, Suspension and Brakes
Everything to do with wheels, tires,
suspension, forks and brakes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-24-2008, 03:28 PM Thread Starter
On His Lady Vulcan

Rear Brake Shake

I was riding into work this morning (still at it too, you have to love a job where you can play online) everything working great untill I go to hit the brakes. The rear brake lever started shaking good, a chattering like feeling when I applied pressure. I let off and nothing, still as a mouse, hit it again and shake shake shake. I havent been able to get home yet to take off the wheel to look inside as of yet (still at work) was hoping that someone here might have had something simular like this happen to them and give me an idea on what to look at first when I get home (crossing fingers that I get home on her, going to have to take the slow and long way home)

Peace

"You came out of your mom looking like SHlT. She thought you were beautiful. Don't know what scared me most, your looks or her judgment."

Pictures of the "Ladies"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-24-2008, 03:57 PM
Chucklehead

Quote:
Originally Posted by wkrizan View Post
you have to love a job where you can play online)
Only way to make it better is to get paid for working on your own stuff and drinking beer.

New one on me with the brakes.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-24-2008, 06:01 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

Since the rear is all mechanical, either a shoe moving around, or a spot on the drum, or drum out of round maybe, (like a warped rotor would feel) would be my guess'....

Maybe one of the springs broke and the shoes at that end aren't held tight against the pivots anymore....

There isn't much in there, so you'll probably know as soon as you open it.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-24-2008, 06:53 PM
and the Adventure Cycle

Might just need a good cleaning. Just watch out for all the brake dust that'll be in there. That stuff is nasty.

Did you notice where the wear indicator is pointing for the brakes?

AKA: Tim & 'The Adventure Cycle' VROC #24567, NEVROC, SteelCity VROC

"When life throws you curves,
Aim for the apex."

Author Unknown
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-24-2008, 08:16 PM Thread Starter
On His Lady Vulcan

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyperbuzzin View Post
Might just need a good cleaning. Just watch out for all the brake dust that'll be in there. That stuff is nasty.

Did you notice where the wear indicator is pointing for the brakes?
It's getting due for a change within the next 1000 miles or so. I got home with no problems but for that shakyness when I apply the rear brakes. I put it up on the center stand and went right to work on it. Took it apart and NOTHING not a damn thing wrong with it. Dust was at a minimal, springs in good shape, it would load and unload as it should. I got a mystery on my hands so I just put it all back together and take it out for another spin and there it is again that shake shake chattery feeling that you get when the brake pedals heat shield thing touches the exhaust pipe....YUPPPPERS, stupid huh?...LOL. Thats all it was, that shield tab thing on the brake pedal scrapping the exhaust. So I just used my dremel and ground out a notch in it. Problem solved. Now back out to work on that damn car of mine.

Peace

"You came out of your mom looking like SHlT. She thought you were beautiful. Don't know what scared me most, your looks or her judgment."

Pictures of the "Ladies"

Last edited by wkrizan; 06-24-2008 at 08:18 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement