Darkside Experiment - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Wheels, Suspension and Brakes
Everything to do with wheels, tires,
suspension, forks and brakes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-22-2008, 10:35 AM Thread Starter

Darkside Experiment

First, I'm just doing some experimental testing and am not recommending or endorsing anything here. I couldn't find any info on anyone trying to Darkside a VN750 so I'm testing it on my VN700 and hope to have some results, one way or another. Right now, I'm stuck with my limited tools and can't get the rear tire bead to break loose from the rim. Don't want to run over it anymore with my F100. So tomorrow, I'll have to take it and get that done.

After searching online for a tire I decided to go with the Firestone F560 155R15. The bad is online you can't look at the tires and hardly any info about these "Classic Car Tires" is forthcoming. And when I tried to order a 155R15 no one had them in stock. I ended up buying a Firestone F560 145R15 and it looks quite small. I wish I could have gotten a 155R15 to test!

The only problem I see so far would be getting the tire to seat on the VN700 Rear Rim...and it doesn't look like it will be a problem at all. But I'm not sure if this tire will turn out suitable or not. I hope the get the old tire off and the new Firestone mounted tomorrow. Maybe have more info then.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-22-2008, 11:39 AM
and the Adventure Cycle

This will be interesting.

In the future, for a tire change, if you've got an extra $80 or so, Harbor Freight has a manual tire changer with a motorcycle tire adaptor. HERE is the changer (with built in bead breaker) for $39.99 and HERE is the motorcycle tire adaptor.
Although, it shows the adaptor for $52.99. I got a flier in the mail with it on sale for the same price as the changer. You can request the flier and catalog to be sent to you via snail mail.

I've got one of these set-ups and they work just fine for bike, car & light truck tires

AKA: Tim & 'The Adventure Cycle' VROC #24567, NEVROC, SteelCity VROC

"When life throws you curves,
Aim for the apex."

Author Unknown
post #3 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-22-2008, 12:40 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

A six foot long 2x4 and a one foot 2x4. (or 6inch/8 inch/just "pretty short")

Lay the wheel on it's side near work bench, wall, car wheel, something heavy and not moveable. Stick one end of the 6 foot against the heavy object and bring the other end across the tire towards you. Wedge the 1 footer between the six foot and the edge of the rim right at the bead.

Step back, grab the end of the six footer and pull down, and the bead "breaks".

Just sharing a little experience....

post #4 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-22-2008, 08:49 PM
Sparky!!!

Garage
Gotta love my tool box....a 32' trailer packed full of goodies, tire changing equipment, welder, oxygen acetylene torch, 15k generator, microwave fridge, and any hand tool you can imagine, along with some stuff you probably never seen or will see again...lol changing my tire using my tool box....10 minutes...ohh and that is by hand...not a machine...
post #5 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-22-2008, 09:12 PM
Growling at the World...

Send a message via Yahoo to bulldog485
All I got to say is that the original tire on that 750 is SAD... hehehehe!!!

Evan Breyn ~ The Bulldog
http://www.bulldogsbike.com
2006 Harley Davidson Ultra Classic FLHTCUI ~ The Big Black Bitch ~ 26,000 miles.
2002 Kawasaki Nomad 1500 ~ The Red Dog ~ Traded in at 22,000 miles of smiles (purchased new 10/05 / Traded in 6/12).
1990 Kawasaki Vulcan 750 ~ Black Betty ~ 34,999.7 miles
VROC ~v~ 485
McHenry County Road Pirates
Chicagoland, IL
post #6 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-22-2008, 11:51 PM

I'm thinking of moving to the darkside too - if I can find a shop to do the tire change. My choice is a lower profile tire like a 155/60 to ride the interstate commute.

DT

95 VN750 (eBay)31k+
GL1100 front fender
OEM engine guard
OEM high back rest
'V-Twin' HWY pegs
Black 750 Spectre handlebars
SunPro Volt Meter (Amazon)
Maier bug shield (JCW)
Bar Ends anti-vibe (JCW)
Emgo air filters
Tank bag-Eclipse
Tail bag-FroZone Cooler
Back Rest-Igloo 6 pak cooler
WalMart Saddle Bags
R/R Relocate
Dry Splines Lubed
AGM DieHard-Sears
Gutted Goat
Sporster XL Mufflers
LED's-stop,tail,turn,marker
Pickup coil mod to .45mm
Silverstar headlight
Rotella T6
post #7 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-23-2008, 03:17 PM Thread Starter

Problem: Can't get the 145R15 to fully seat the bead to the rim on one side at one spot. And moving the tire to another position the same place on the tire will not seat. So, it's not the rim. Wore me out today and will try to mess with it more tomorrow. It almost seats but not quite.

Also, another thing with the tire and I get different opinions. At the spot that won't fully seat there is an indentation in the tire on the sidewall running from the tread to the rim...across the sidewall about the size of a finger is a little dip. My friend says the tire has a broken belt in the sidewall and will likely vibrate if I do get installed. And he called several guys over that agreed with him. Being hard headed, I took the tire to a Tire Center for their opinion. They told me that it was just a seam where the belts were joined together and some tires have two or three spots like that. That it didn't mean a belt was broken. Now I'm not sure what to believe. Anyone have opinion on this?
post #8 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-23-2008, 03:35 PM
Giggity!

Garage
Go check the tire on your other vehicles. It's a very common thing. I'm not going to say what it is. That I'm not sure of. But I do know it's not anything to worry about. It is on most tires.
post #9 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-23-2008, 04:12 PM Thread Starter

I hope that's right kanuck, and seems like the Tire Center people that deal in tires should know. I just went out and with the help of a screwdriver to get the stuck side to seat first the tire finally stuck at a different point...but it still sticks. I put 70#'s of air in the tire, squirted some liquid Dawn in the space where it's stuck, and put it in the Explorer to bake. I'm having doubts that I will ever get the tire to seat now.

Max tire pressure says 44#'s...
post #10 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-23-2008, 07:36 PM
HAWK

Send a message via Yahoo to Ccspinner
I have seen that before and it is just the place where belts are joined, they are correct.
You may have to up the pressure to 40 to get the bead to seat.
also do you have tire lube on the bead?

Chad Falstad "Hawk"
Vroc #17649
2011 HD Ultra Classic "angel"
2001 Nomad 1500 Sold March 2012
2001 VN 750 "Sold June with 2008 with 21,000""Serinity"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement