Best Rear Tire For My Vn750 In Maine? - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Wheels, Suspension and Brakes
Everything to do with wheels, tires,
suspension, forks and brakes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-13-2015, 07:10 AM Thread Starter

Smile Best Rear Tire For My Vn750 In Maine?

Hello all!

Well so far... jetted, degoated, earshaved and led marker lights done! Now it's time for rear tire. I'm looking for any personal info on the best tire for my region. They state i should use the Dunlop 404 yet I'm more into what you all say since you've all already helped me so much. And also, what places do you all use for the cheapest prices. I have a place close by that'll match any online deals.

Thanks all!

Kristoco
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-13-2015, 07:27 AM

Garage
Personally, I like the Michelin Commander II. Long mileage tire but great grip in the corners. There are only 2 tires on a motorcycle so I don't trust my life to a cheap tire.

motorcyclesuperstore.com is the best place I've found for tires. Great pricing and fast free shipping. Manufacturing date is not old either.

Last edited by Chuck A.; 06-13-2015 at 07:29 AM.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-13-2015, 07:38 AM
ass hole extaordinaire

the commanders are damn good tires and of course there is always metzler but they are not cheap shinko tires are budget priced and grab the road well but you are not going to get a ton of miles out of one dunlop sucks (my opinion)

and if you want a 25,000 mile tire you can put a car tire on

the stock tire size for the vn750 is 150/90/15 but going with that size will limit your choices

many have used a 170/80/15 which is will broaden your choices and doesnt cause any noticeable change to the bike in my opinion

if you want to go with a car tire i recommend a nexen b802 which is a 165/80/15 and has symmetrical tread that is the one i have on my bike i run the tire pressure at 30 psi cold and it has never slipped out from under me i have over 20k miles on it and still have plenty of life left in it

Quote:
Originally Posted by denny6006 View Post
Sucks getting old but it beats not getting old.

i got my helmet but it sure makes licking the windows a chore

cell phone number for anyone who needs it 214-516-1738

photobucket link
http://s1066.photobucket.com/user/newrider9984/library/

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-13-2015, 08:49 AM

Still happy with the 170/80/15 Shinko Tourmaster 230 on mine, almost 5k mi. on it. Got it through Pinwall Cycle, Ohio via Ebay. Have about $120 in front/rear tires. Pinwall became a Shinko dealer right after I bought mine.

Figured out last week that 30 psi is too much air in the rear on mine. Dropped it down and if anything, it feels better. Will have to double check but I set it around 25-27 psi. It was wearing the center out with 30 psi.

2003-21k mi
Shaved w/UniPK92+Stock Jets-TPE/MOSFET-Shinko Tires-AGM batt-bags-chrome-LEDs...more
__________________________________________________ ____________
Repair Manual: http://www.mediafire.com/file/mj7z81..._Catalogue.pdf

Owner's Manual: http://www.mediafire.com/file/nscb5f...ers+Manual.pdf
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-13-2015, 12:16 PM Thread Starter

Well no one around here even carries the Michelin tire and i'm kind of in a bit of a hurry so I got the Parelli Night Dragon 170/80/15.

Thank you all for your info and i'll definitely grab the michelins when i replace the front.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-13-2015, 07:46 PM
Old Fart

Garage
Best tire? This is akin to an oil thread...lol.

Actually the Metzler Marathon has been the most popular tire through the years, and the Avon Venom.

What tire you have in front?

If You Are Not Sure If I Am Joking or Not....I AM !!Photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/knifemaker1954/sets/
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-13-2015, 09:25 PM
Giggity!

Garage
I went thru 2 shinko's & loved every minute of them. (On the rear)
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-14-2015, 09:06 AM
Headbanger/Popes of Hell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck A. View Post
Personally, I like the Michelin Commander II. Long mileage tire but great grip in the corners. There are only 2 tires on a motorcycle so I don't trust my life to a cheap tire.

motorcyclesuperstore.com is the best place I've found for tires. Great pricing and fast free shipping. Manufacturing date is not old either.
I agree with that! no cheap tires for me. lol
thanks for the info on where to buy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by new rider 9984 View Post
the commanders are damn good tires and of course there is always metzler but they are not cheap shinko tires are budget priced and grab the road well but you are not going to get a ton of miles out of one dunlop sucks (my opinion)

and if you want a 25,000 mile tire you can put a car tire on

the stock tire size for the vn750 is 150/90/15 but going with that size will limit your choices

many have used a 170/80/15 which is will broaden your choices and doesnt cause any noticeable change to the bike in my opinion

if you want to go with a car tire i recommend a nexen b802 which is a 165/80/15 and has symmetrical tread that is the one i have on my bike i run the tire pressure at 30 psi cold and it has never slipped out from under me i have over 20k miles on it and still have plenty of life left in it
I've hear the same thing about the Shinko's.

I've gone with the 170/80/15, and have noticed that at hwy speeds, the RPM's are lower.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spockster View Post
Still happy with the 170/80/15 Shinko Tourmaster 230 on mine, almost 5k mi. on it. Got it through Pinwall Cycle, Ohio via Ebay. Have about $120 in front/rear tires. Pinwall became a Shinko dealer right after I bought mine.

Figured out last week that 30 psi is too much air in the rear on mine. Dropped it down and if anything, it feels better. Will have to double check but I set it around 25-27 psi. It was wearing the center out with 30 psi.
WOO HOO! let's hear it for Pinwall Cycle, in OHIO! you've go to love those Buckeye's! (ok, maybe you don't. lol)

as for your tires wearing out the center, that just means you need to hit more "twisty's"! lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knifemaker View Post
Best tire? This is akin to an oil thread...lol.

Actually the Metzler Marathon has been the most popular tire through the years, and the Avon Venom.

What tire you have in front?
what?! not another "tire thread"?! lol

I've been running Metzler Marathon on both the wife's and my bikes. love them! but I'm thinking of trying the Avon Venom next.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanuck69 View Post
I went thru 2 shinko's & loved every minute of them. (On the rear)
believe me! when kanuck69, says "I went thru 2 shinko's & loved every minute of them."....he ain't sh!tting you! that boy rides hard and is hard on tires! kanuck69-aka-Bat out of Hell!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristoco View Post
Well no one around here even carries the Michelin tire and i'm kind of in a bit of a hurry so I got the Parelli Night Dragon 170/80/15.

Thank you all for your info and i'll definitely grab the michelins when i replace the front.
hey, let us know how those work out for ya.

if it goes vroom or boom, I LIKE IT!
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-14-2015, 09:32 AM

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruger View Post

as for your tires wearing out the center, that just means you need to hit more "twisty's"! lol

But ... there are no straight roads around here. I try to stay off the slabs, but most of those are twisty too.

Only put 200 or so miles on since dropping the pressure, but the dirt/dust pattern looks better, at least.

2003-21k mi
Shaved w/UniPK92+Stock Jets-TPE/MOSFET-Shinko Tires-AGM batt-bags-chrome-LEDs...more
__________________________________________________ ____________
Repair Manual: http://www.mediafire.com/file/mj7z81..._Catalogue.pdf

Owner's Manual: http://www.mediafire.com/file/nscb5f...ers+Manual.pdf
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-14-2015, 09:40 AM
Headbanger/Popes of Hell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spockster View Post
But ... there are no straight roads around here. I try to stay off the slabs, but most of those are twisty too.

Only put 200 or so miles on since dropping the pressure, but the dirt/dust pattern looks better, at least.
I know, so why don't you just rub it in a little more!
where I'm at in Ohio, that's just about all we have, straight and flat. that's why we always head south. well, we can't head north, not unless we had "Jesus bikes" that could ride on water. lol

if it goes vroom or boom, I LIKE IT!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement