brakes again - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Wheels, Suspension and Brakes
Everything to do with wheels, tires,
suspension, forks and brakes

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-23-2015, 10:16 AM Thread Starter

brakes again

I few months ago my front brakes had locked up. So I took the calipers off the bike and cleaned all the debris off the calipers. They began to work.

Still not riding the bike but pushing it around I have noticed the front brakes are still allowing the bike to move but are still not releasing the brakes completely. I actually thought they were ok until last week when I got on 2003 VN750 and released my brakes were still grabbing.

What do I need to look for while taking care of these brakes. I want them to work, but I want them to release also.

Will the piston come out completely so I can blow the debris out of the calipers? Any help here would be great.

Grace and Peace to you!
Richard
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-23-2015, 10:49 AM

Just a guess. While you cleaned the debris off the calipers, you may have debris, very tiny particles, within the system.

Master brake cylinder brake fluid clear? free of debris? There's a tiny hole in the cylinder. make sure it's clear by pumping the brake handle you can see the piston in the hole moving back and forth.
Brake lines? Could be the source of contamination. They could be breaking down.
Calipers--- there small port which may be getting clogged on the inside of the caliper. Small particles may be floating around causing your problem.

Rebuild kits are around 20 x 2. I'd only blow out the calipers if I were going to rebuild them. Just my process and may not be yours or others.

I would bleed the crap out of your brakes first. They have bleeding kits that will suck the fluid through the system through your calipers and into a container. You put 10psi or less of suction in the system (the tool has a gauge) while pouring fluid in the master brake cylinder. It it doesn't work, fluid doesn't flow through the system and come out clean, I'd say you have something clogged. Rebuild the calipers and reattach. If the brake lines are bad I don't know how you would trouble shoot that and not just feel they may need to be replaced with a Caliper rebuild.

there may be something I'm leaving out (disclaimer) someone may have a better idea I'm sure. Good luck!

2008 Vulcan 900 Classic LT
HID lighting 35 Watt White
Chrome Slotted oval Mirrors
Chilhowee Tank Bra
Barons Big Air Kit
Vance & Hines Twin Slash staggered
EJK Gen 3 Electronic Jet Kit

1991 Vulcan 750 226 miles
Spiegler brake lines
rebuilt calipers, master brake cylinder

Last edited by Mike DeAngelo; 05-23-2015 at 10:55 AM.
post #3 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-23-2015, 11:18 AM Thread Starter

How does a brake bleeder hose fit on our bikes as there is a round ring with a hole in the middle of the ring. How does the bleeder hoses fit on the brake line hoses from our bike?

Grace and Peace to you!
Richard

Last edited by mrseedsower; 05-23-2015 at 11:25 AM.

post #4 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-23-2015, 11:19 AM
Members who have donated towards server costs

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrseedsower View Post
I few months ago my front brakes had locked up. So I took the calipers off the bike and cleaned all the debris off the calipers. They began to work.

Still not riding the bike but pushing it around I have noticed the front brakes are still allowing the bike to move but are still not releasing the brakes completely. I actually thought they were ok until last week when I got on 2003 VN750 and released my brakes were still grabbing.

What do I need to look for while taking care of these brakes. I want them to work, but I want them to release also.

Will the piston come out completely so I can blow the debris out of the calipers? Any help here would be great.
Sounds like the caliper holder shafts are binding. Pull them out, clean them, and grease them.

JM2001

" Loud Pipes Risk Rights "

2001 Vulcan 750
marbled
TOC upgrade on ACCT
Air/fuel mixture set to 2 1/2 out
rectifier relocated
splines lubed
iridiums
decals removed
upgraded mirrors
Pic up coil mod done
degoated
All LED lighting
Upgraded Mosfet rectifier
post #5 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-23-2015, 11:22 AM Thread Starter

are those the rods or pins that the pad slides back and forth on as those are rusty.

Grace and Peace to you!
Richard
post #6 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-23-2015, 11:29 AM
Members who have donated towards server costs

Quote:
are those the rods or pins that the pad slides back and forth on as those are rusty.
The caliper and pads slides on them. If they are rusty, you found your problem.

JM2001

" Loud Pipes Risk Rights "

2001 Vulcan 750
marbled
TOC upgrade on ACCT
Air/fuel mixture set to 2 1/2 out
rectifier relocated
splines lubed
iridiums
decals removed
upgraded mirrors
Pic up coil mod done
degoated
All LED lighting
Upgraded Mosfet rectifier
post #7 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-23-2015, 11:45 AM Thread Starter

I think I will sand them down and grease them first before going to get new calipers unless those shafts can be replaced.

Grace and Peace to you!
Richard
post #8 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-23-2015, 12:55 PM

Quote:
How does a brake bleeder hose fit on our bikes as there is a round ring with a hole in the middle of the ring. How does the bleeder hoses fit on the brake line hoses from our bike?
You must close the system before bleeding. Everything must be attached to the bike. The bleeder hose fits over the hole on the caliper bleeder. it sucks fluid through the brake system which includes the master brake cylinder and brake lines.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JM2001 View Post
Sounds like the caliper holder shafts are binding. Pull them out, clean them, and grease them.
I second this as a great idea. Do this first!

2008 Vulcan 900 Classic LT
HID lighting 35 Watt White
Chrome Slotted oval Mirrors
Chilhowee Tank Bra
Barons Big Air Kit
Vance & Hines Twin Slash staggered
EJK Gen 3 Electronic Jet Kit

1991 Vulcan 750 226 miles
Spiegler brake lines
rebuilt calipers, master brake cylinder
post #9 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-25-2015, 11:46 PM Thread Starter

Ok today I pulled the sliders off the calipers and sanded them down. They are shiney now. I got some brake grease that is high temp and lubed both the sliders in the rubber boot and the part that the brake pads slides on. Wow major difference in the freedom of the pad sliding now.

Now I am having another issue. I drained all the fluid out of the calipers and now it seems like the brake fluid isn't going down the brake lines. I am going to try the brake fluid one man bleed tomorrow and do both calipers at the same time to see if I just have a lot of air in the lines. If so that should better the brakes. I was going to get a brake bleeder kit but after watching several guys on you tube I think I will try that first.
post #10 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-26-2015, 12:09 PM
Competent Noob

If you can't get fluid down the line, try this... Fill the ms, squeeze the lever, smash the line with a vice grips and hold, release the lever. Repeat. This worked for me multiple times.

1995 Vulcan 750
Purchased 5/3/2015 w 10,600 miles
No mods I'm aware of
Sponsored Links
Advertisement