Arghhhhhh!!! - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Wheels, Suspension and Brakes
Everything to do with wheels, tires,
suspension, forks and brakes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-05-2008, 12:05 PM Thread Starter

Arghhhhhh!!!

Put a brand new Metzler 880 on the rear two weeks ago. Less than 150 miles on it and I went out to the garage this morning and found a flat tire. Picked up a dang screw, right between the tred (the screw prolly fell off a Harley on the road somewhere). Can this be fixed (tubed) perhaps or am I likely gonna have to replace it (again)???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-05-2008, 12:32 PM
Kawika

That happend to my dad's Mean Streak, right after he bought it...I was going to test it out and noticed it was flat...luckily it was noticed before my ride 'cuz I would have felt worse.
I think a shop or a dealer may be able to patch it from the inside...I'll check to see what my dad did with his...

I did get to ride it after the repair, though!

turns out the screw was into the sidewall, so my dad replaced that one.

LETS RIDE!! VROC# 26137
☠ Black Candy ☠ '07 Mean Streak 1600
☠ Blue Crush ☠ '95 VN750-A11

Last edited by davewex; 06-05-2008 at 11:42 PM. Reason: update
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-05-2008, 02:28 PM
and the Adventure Cycle

IMO, a patch of any kind on a streetbike tire is OK for emergencies to get ya home or to a garage/shop, but I personally wouldn't ride it for long that way.

Yeah, it sux there's not much use on it, but with only having two tires to start with, a blow out at highway speeds could be bad news.

As for a tube, not sure how well that'd work. Might run into issues with how the valve fits the wheel. But then again, I haven't ever done it, so it might not be a problem.

AKA: Tim & 'The Adventure Cycle' VROC #24567, NEVROC, SteelCity VROC

"When life throws you curves,
Aim for the apex."

Author Unknown

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-05-2008, 04:50 PM
Old Fart

Garage
Go to Wal-Mart and buy one of those puncture kits that use the "sticky string"..will be about 4-5 bucks. Comes with a insertion tool and a needle "rasp".

Remove the screw, use the rasp to ream out the hole and plug the tire with the sticky string and tool after reading the directions.

I have plugged several tires with this and NEVER EVER HAD A PROBLEM ...patches can fall off these don't.

I would also strongly suggest filling the tires with Ride-On sealant. I swear by the stuff, and it will provide you with that added bit of insurance if you have any doubts the sticky string might fall out (it won't)

It is stupid to use a tube in a tubeless tire when a good plug will fix a leak and not have the inheirent problems a tube does.

Many folks get too freaking paranoid about plugging a tire with a small hole...thinking it will "suddenly blow out"...worse case is it may leak again, but a slow leak is not dangerous if you know about it..............

KM

If You Are Not Sure If I Am Joking or Not....I AM !!Photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/knifemaker1954/sets/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement