Anyone know about weaving between 25 and 50. - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Wheels, Suspension and Brakes
Everything to do with wheels, tires,
suspension, forks and brakes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-25-2008, 02:46 PM Thread Starter

Unhappy Anyone know about weaving between 25 and 50.

Does anyone know what might cause a VN750 with 26K to weave between 25 and 50+ mph? This is not a vibration or a wobble, but a slow weaving. The bike pulls to the left and then back to straight or slightly to the right over a distance of 25 yards or so. It will also do to the right but less pronounced.
It is kind of like the bike refuses to go exactly straight and wants to fall off to either side.

It becomes much less noticeable at highway speeds. I have driven it a 1000 miles like this and there seems to be no other problem with it.
---
I have changed front fork oil, played with rear suspension, check brakes, checked the steering head and front end every which way, tire pressure, wheel balance, front and back shock air pressure, and just generally everything I can think of. Tires are Bridgestone Spitfire. I would suspect back tire out of alignment with front, but there is no way to align the back tire like with a chain drive. I am at my wits end on what could cause this.
----
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-25-2008, 03:11 PM
On His Lady Vulcan

Simple fix...Try TRAINING WHEELS....LOL... Seriously though I have been experiencing a similar problem at the same speeds but only on a certain stretch of road(s). So my conclusion sense it doesn't happen anywhere else that I ride is the pavement itself. Does it happen constantly or occasionally and if occasionally take a look at the pavement conditions. See if its grooved in even the slightest or even slanted (both are my conditions). The first 2 or 3 times I taken the rout that mine drifts on I have pulled over immediately checked things (Tire pressure, loose tire, loose nut behind the wheel ect.) Kind of nerve racking I know.

Peace

"You came out of your mom looking like SHlT. She thought you were beautiful. Don't know what scared me most, your looks or her judgment."

Pictures of the "Ladies"
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-25-2008, 03:41 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

Is there something that happened to your bike that could have made the wheels out of alignment with each other? And your post doesn't mention it, and I'm assuming you looked, but will ask anyway-what kind of shape are the tires/treads in? How about the wheel bearings too?

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-25-2008, 04:38 PM
Old Fart

Garage
I gave you some suggestions on the Yahoo forum. but here I will ask...How long have those tires been on there?

If the problem persisted and you rode the bike for 1000 miles anyway, you simply may have worn your tires unevenly and they refuse to track right at slower speeds.

Also are you saying the bike will drift to the left even if you hold the bars to prevent it? or doe this happen if you relax or let go?

Have you actualy checked the alignment of the front and rear to see if it is out of whack?

My initial thinking here is the steering head, but tires can wear oddly and be very hard to see slight changes in.

Have you checked the wheel runout?

Have you tried loosening the axle pinch bolts and checked for square?

Are both fork tubes EXACTLY at the same height in the top clamps?

KM

If You Are Not Sure If I Am Joking or Not....I AM !!Photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/knifemaker1954/sets/
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-25-2008, 06:27 PM

Could also be a belt in the tire broken or shifted
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-25-2008, 07:36 PM
Old Truck Junkie

have you thought that maybe the fork bearing are a bit dry and have some catch in them. You might try some wd 40 spray to check if it works a little better.

02 honda sabre 1100
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-25-2008, 10:08 PM

I tip the scales at 250 lbs and if I don't run 38+ PSI in the front tire I get the weaving as you describe. I'm on cheap IRC duotour 42 PSI tires, Donlops did the same.

DT

95 VN750 (eBay)31k+
GL1100 front fender
OEM engine guard
OEM high back rest
'V-Twin' HWY pegs
Black 750 Spectre handlebars
SunPro Volt Meter (Amazon)
Maier bug shield (JCW)
Bar Ends anti-vibe (JCW)
Emgo air filters
Tank bag-Eclipse
Tail bag-FroZone Cooler
Back Rest-Igloo 6 pak cooler
WalMart Saddle Bags
R/R Relocate
Dry Splines Lubed
AGM DieHard-Sears
Gutted Goat
Sporster XL Mufflers
LED's-stop,tail,turn,marker
Pickup coil mod to .45mm
Silverstar headlight
Rotella T6
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-06-2008, 12:40 PM Thread Starter

Thank you all for your suggestions. I will run through them all one by one.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement