Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Ohio, Dayton-Cincy area
I pulled the bike out of storage after the winter (it fired right up) and took her around the block. I noticed that my front brake lever was very soft. When I looked at the site glass for the the fluid, it was really dirty looking. So, I replaced the fluid with Dot 4 by opening the bleeders and letting gravity drain the reservoir. When it got just above the hole at the bottom, I added the new stuff, filling up the reservoir several times, to make sure the old stuff was gone. But when I was all finished, everything tightened and cleaned up, I still had a soft lever. So, I pumped the lever and bled the brakes again- no improvement. I then searched the Verses and found a suggested method of bleeding the breaks by pumping the lever, holding it and tieing it down with a piece of rope as hard as possible, and left it that way for a whole day. I did this two days and the brakes are sweet now!
The theory for this working is that under pressure, air will compress and not stick to the sides of the brake hoses, eventually floating up to the reservoir. Makes sense to me...
LED tail lighted
Soon to be MCCTed