Wheels, Suspension and Brakes
Everything to do with wheels, tires,
suspension, forks and brakes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-05-2008, 05:23 PM Thread Starter
Rider on the Storm

Garage
Question Tire Wear/Replacement

I own a 2006 VN 750 with stock Bridgestone tires. In just under two years I've ridden 9,800 miles ~ about 75% highway, 25% city. I usually keep the pressure in the front tire at 29, and the rear tire at 33. I use the front disc brake more than the rear drum brake, but I'm trying to use both simultaneously.

Here's the thing. My front tire is scalloped and showing a little dry rot, and the shallow tread depth indicates that I'm ready for a new tire. My rear tire, by contrast, still has excellent tread depth and no dry rot or any other signs of wear/disintegration.

I showed the tires to a nearby motorcycle mechanic. He was surprised that the front was in bad shape, and the back was in good shape. (He said that it's usually the other way around.) He also offered to put a pair of Dunlop 404s on for me, but that all I really needed to do right now was replace the front tire.

Questions:
  • Mix & Match? ~ Is it OK to put a fresh Dunlop 404 on the front and continue to ride on the rear Bridgestone until it is ready to be replaced? Or should I replace both tires at the same time with an identical product? I'm all for saving money, but I don't want to make a mistake with my tires!
  • Dealer vs. Local Mechanic? ~ I live about 20 miles from two different Kaw dealers, which is inconvenient when I need to leave my bike. This place (Motorcycle Parts Outlet) is within walking distance from my house. He's been in business for twenty-five years, selling a few items in the store but mostly working on bikes (both metrics and HD). He said that the cost of two Dunlop 404 tires, plus labor, would be $360. (The labor is only $104, but obviously he makes the $ on the tires!) Does all this sound about right, or is there something else I should consider? Again, these are my tires!

EZC

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-05-2008, 05:38 PM
and the Adventure Cycle

I would just change the front if the rear is fine. Shouldn't make a difference if they are two different kinds.

And yeah, the front wearing first does seem backwards. Maybe the front is an older tire, which would explain it somewhat.

Also, it'd be cheaper on labor charges if you take just the wheels in to get the tires changed, not the whole bike.

AKA: Tim & 'The Adventure Cycle' VROC #24567, NEVROC, SteelCity VROC

"When life throws you curves,
Aim for the apex."

Author Unknown
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-05-2008, 06:01 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

My buddy has an '03 Yammy sportbike and is having the same issue; scalloping, worn front, back is ok. He's thinin it's just how he's been riding and using the front brake more and such. At any rate, he's just replacing the front as well....

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-05-2008, 11:17 PM

Stay Away, sounds like way to much cash for tires and labor. try ron ayres or dennis kirk, order them yourself and find someone to mount them for under 80.00 bucks.. pierelli mt66... front and rear for 152.00 shipped from denniskirk.com plus say 80.00 to mount, so your looking at 232.00 total for much better tires then the dunflop 404's... and just for your info, if you really wanted the dunflops they would be 160.00 shipped...like I said stay away from that guy..

Last edited by 2001Vulcan; 05-05-2008 at 11:27 PM.
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-06-2008, 07:39 AM

I found if you remove the tire you could get it mounted and balance for less than 30.oo a tire. Also if you could put nitrogen in your tires. It helps make the tire last longer. It does make the ride a little stiff at first but once you ride it, but then it smoothes out. I also noticed it makes the bike handle a lot better in turns. I like it.

KEN ROD
1998 VN 750
VROC #26481
WILLIE AND MAX SLANT BRAIDED BAGS
R/R RELOCATED, WINDSHIELD
PAINTED RINGS AROUND GAUGES FLAT BLACK
NEW FRT TIRE DUNLOP 110/90 (4/07)
NEW REAR TIRE DUNLOP 170/80 (9/07)
VOLT METER (Knauck69 style)
NEW KEVLAR CLUTCH 2/08
Highway Pegs (Woodydh style)
Custom Cover for rear trunk hole

19082 MILES 2/08
bought bike 11,000 7/25/2006
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-06-2008, 08:08 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to 93VN750
I just ordered 2 new tires for my Meanie, 130/70-17 front and 180/55-17 rear, Avon Storm ST radials. I paid $ 248 for the two tires, plus $20/each to mount and balance them when I roll the wheels in the door.

See if you have a Cycle Gear near you, they will price match an internet price, just put your tires into a cart, go all the way up to paying, and print the screen showing the total.

When you buy the tires from Cycle Gear, they ony charge $20/wheel, $ 30 if you broing your own tires.

I paid like $ 140 for a new set of D404's for my 750 early last year, the price you got seems VERY high.

Jon

93VN750, under re-construction
vn750.com Member # 828

Rick's Stator and R/R
MF AGM Battery
Coastered
Degoated
Shaved & Jetted
Iridium's
MAC Tapered Staggered Pipes
Battery/Temp/Clock Gauge
Stainless Steel Brake Lines
Dunlop D-404's
23,XXX miles and holding pending gasket change (underway!!!)
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-06-2008, 11:18 AM
85 VN 700

One note on cycle gear... (not sure if this note applies to all Cycle Gears or just the local one).

They're friendly, they're cheap, I buy a lot of stuff from em (they remember my NAME when I go in even though it's usually at least a month between trips), but I won't buy another set of tires from em. After checking the date on the tires that I'd JUST BOUGHT (the set that's on the bike now) one of em was almost 3 years old. The valve stem they installed also leaked since they'd neglected to tighten the inner nub - AND they didn't clean the rims, which caused a rim leak. Nevermind that with my previous bike I had a tire I had to take back 3 times because they couldn't get it seated right...

Like I said - might just be my local cycle gear, might just be my luck, but I think I'll be ordering my next set online and mounting them myself or getting em installed by a different (more competent?) shop... I just don't think they have the training they should...

Curtis - Albany Oregon.
Currently receiving therapy from "Doc" - My 1985 VN700.

Daily rider in NorthWET Oregon.
Ammo Can Saddlebags
Shaved and Rejetted. Coastered. Degoated w/ Hardley pipes.

Bought Feb 2007 with 12K miles.
Hit the 24k mile July 2008

http://photobucket.com/curtis97322
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-06-2008, 11:49 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to 93VN750
Curtis -

Appreciate that feedback, I will watch them like a hawk when being done.

Jon

Quote:
Originally Posted by curtis97322 View Post
One note on cycle gear... (not sure if this note applies to all Cycle Gears or just the local one).

They're friendly, they're cheap, I buy a lot of stuff from em (they remember my NAME when I go in even though it's usually at least a month between trips), but I won't buy another set of tires from em. After checking the date on the tires that I'd JUST BOUGHT (the set that's on the bike now) one of em was almost 3 years old. The valve stem they installed also leaked since they'd neglected to tighten the inner nub - AND they didn't clean the rims, which caused a rim leak. Nevermind that with my previous bike I had a tire I had to take back 3 times because they couldn't get it seated right...

Like I said - might just be my local cycle gear, might just be my luck, but I think I'll be ordering my next set online and mounting them myself or getting em installed by a different (more competent?) shop... I just don't think they have the training they should...

93VN750, under re-construction
vn750.com Member # 828

Rick's Stator and R/R
MF AGM Battery
Coastered
Degoated
Shaved & Jetted
Iridium's
MAC Tapered Staggered Pipes
Battery/Temp/Clock Gauge
Stainless Steel Brake Lines
Dunlop D-404's
23,XXX miles and holding pending gasket change (underway!!!)
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-06-2008, 12:23 PM Thread Starter
Rider on the Storm

Garage
Question Metzler vs Dunlop

I don't have the set-up to remove my own tires. Two local Kaw dealers said that if I brought my own tires in, they would balance/mount them for around $120. The much closer small shop will do it for $134.

Is there a huge difference between Dunlop 404s and Metzler 880s?! I've also read good things about the Pirelli MT66 (on sale at the Motorcycle Superstore) and the new Night Dragons.

EZC

Last edited by EasyRector; 05-06-2008 at 12:33 PM.
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-06-2008, 12:48 PM
On His Lady Vulcan

What do you mean you don't have the set up to remove your tires? All it takes is your center stand and a large crescent wrench and its off in no time flat (pun intended...lol) Just remove the wheels and take them in separately and DON'T pay more then $30 a tire to mount them.

Peace

"You came out of your mom looking like SHlT. She thought you were beautiful. Don't know what scared me most, your looks or her judgment."

Pictures of the "Ladies"

Last edited by wkrizan; 05-06-2008 at 12:52 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement