elite 3 - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Wheels, Suspension and Brakes
Everything to do with wheels, tires,
suspension, forks and brakes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 05-01-2008, 04:55 PM Thread Starter

elite 3

recently bought new rear tire in prep. for ride into the hill country, as it turrned out about 850 miles. thought i was going to get the metzler but out of stock so i got the elite 3, top of the line dunlop. has more meat in the center of the tire so it may give me more mileage since i do more straight up riding in my part of the country. but what i do know is , i rode some wild twisties, rode rain. about 60 miles rain and just wet roads, then wind out of the north gusting to about 45 , made my head like a bobble head, riding with a lean, i was going north then east. my judgement, very good in all departments, wiil tell you more if they get me past6500 miles wear wise,. the dunlop 404 lasted 6500, which was almost 1 year exactly. ride safe size wise it is the same as orig, equip it was a 269 mile trip home i the weather, also i was helped by having the saddleman seat, great!

Last edited by aradams; 05-01-2008 at 05:00 PM. Reason: add trip home
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 05-04-2008, 01:49 PM

Glad you're happy with them. My GL1500 has Elite 3s on it; I don't like 'em any better in the rain than the PO did. Makes the 'Wing feel light, like it's fixing to come out from under me. If they weren't damn near brand new, I'd switch to Metzlers or Avons.

GL1800 owners love the Elite 3.

My brother put an E3 on the rear of his '07 1600 Nomad; he doesn't like it in the rain, either.

I replaced the D404 on the rear of my VN750 with a Metzler 170/80-15, in prep for the Texas HCR a couple weeks ago. BIG difference; doesn't track the expansion joints like the Dunlop did, and solid as a rock in wet weather. The bike is a lot more stable in the twisties, too.

BTW, being up there in Frost, check out Texas VROC: www.texasvroc.org

Go to the Message Forum ( http://texasvroc.proboards7.com/ ) and get signed up; we've got members all around you in Waco, Mexia, College Station, Terrell, Tyler... Matter of fact, we're probably due for a MIM (Meet In the Middle; usually lunch or dinner at someone's favorite food hangout) up that way before long; somebody will be posting one, I'm sure. There's maybe a half dozen 750 owners on there that show up now and then.

Jim

J.D.
Kerrville, TX
'95 Vulcan 750 "Therapy II",
aka "Raggedy Ann"
'95 VN750 project
'03 VN800B "The Little Black"
'04 VN800E Drifter project
'93 VN1500A custom project
VROC #16185
GCVROC #33

Photo album: http://www.flickr.com/photos/leekayd/sets
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 05-04-2008, 09:33 PM
and the Adventure Cycle

I recently purchased the last Elite II rear a local dealer had. Then he told me they were being discontinued for the III.
I was really happy with the II in wear and handling in all weather, and especially like the raised white letter.
I'll be waiting to hear what you finally have to say about III.

AKA: Tim & 'The Adventure Cycle' VROC #24567, NEVROC, SteelCity VROC

"When life throws you curves,
Aim for the apex."

Author Unknown
Sponsored Links
Advertisement