Making Sure..getting New Tires - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Wheels, Suspension and Brakes
Everything to do with wheels, tires,
suspension, forks and brakes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-28-2008, 07:16 PM Thread Starter

Making Sure..getting New Tires

I am about to order new tires for the bike, but before I do, I want to make absolutely sure that the tires I am about to order are correct and WILL fit when I take them to the shop to get mounted on my 2001 vn750.

I want the 110/90-19 for the front and a 170/80-15 for the rear. I am getting either the Bridgestone's Spitfire S11 or the Pierelli MT66. Both same price about 150.00 for both of them, so for the price great deal I think.

Is their anything I need to tell the shop, when they mount them, any special secret to make sure they fit properly ?? Also I had the splines lubed last year, so do I also need to tell them to be carefull of that when they are mounting the rear?

THANKS YA'LL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-28-2008, 07:44 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2001Vulcan View Post
I am about to order new tires for the bike, but before I do, I want to make absolutely sure that the tires I am about to order are correct and WILL fit when I take them to the shop to get mounted on my 2001 vn750.

I want the 110/90-19 for the front and a 170/80-15 for the rear. I am getting either the Bridgestone's Spitfire S11 or the Pierelli MT66. Both same price about 150.00 for both of them, so for the price great deal I think.

Is their anything I need to tell the shop, when they mount them, any special secret to make sure they fit properly ?? Also I had the splines lubed last year, so do I also need to tell them to be carefull of that when they are mounting the rear?

THANKS YA'LL
I cant say that the Pirelli or the Spitfires will fit but I can tell you that ME 880"s will fit because I put them on my bike myself. As far as lubing the splines, the only person I trust to do them is me. There have been to many stories on here about splines that were not lubed by stealerships when the were checked. Lubing the splines involves removing the final drive (differential, rear, whatever you want to call it). It is not something that is normally done when putting on tires. The only trick I can tell you is when I was putting the rear tire on, some say you need to leave the air out. I had to loosen the differential and cock it off to the side to get the tire to slip in place. IMO that would be a good time to remove the differential, inspect and lube the splines before reinstalling.

Kuryakyn Flame Grips
Bar End helmet locks
Chrome / Gold "Live to Ride Mirrors"
Coastered, Shaved & Jetted
K&N Pod Air Filters
KisanTech headlamp & Taillight modulators
Iridium's
Leather Lyke Hard Bags
Voltmeter, Clock
Stebel Nautilus horn
Slipstreamer SS28
J&M CB Radio
Audiovox CCS-100 Electronic Cruise Control
Mustang Seat, Protac Drivers Backrest
And of course the obligatory stator replacement[/FONT]
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-29-2008, 11:54 AM
and the Adventure Cycle

It would make airing up and checking the rear tire easier if you had the shop put a METAL 90 degree valve stem in there.

Can't say either about fit for sure. I run Dunlops.
There isn't a whole lot of difference in size, but sometimes there might be just enough between different manufacturers.
But I wouldn't think there'd be a problem in what you choose.
Sometimes, on the rear, the larger tire may require that the air be let out to get it in place, but once mounted and refilled, it fits fine.

AKA: Tim & 'The Adventure Cycle' VROC #24567, NEVROC, SteelCity VROC

"When life throws you curves,
Aim for the apex."

Author Unknown

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-29-2008, 10:06 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for all the info guys...I Finally made a decision...stopped by a small custom bike shop in my city and started talking. The owner offered me this deal...mount and balance a Avon Venom 110/90-19 front and a Avon Venom 170/80-15 rear, is also going to put two sets of EBC organic brakes on for me ,,,total price....404.00 includes tax. what do you think..I think it's a real fair price

Last edited by 2001Vulcan; 04-29-2008 at 10:49 PM.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-29-2008, 10:41 PM
Old Fart

Garage
Sounds like a good deal..

BE SURE to let us know what you think of the Venoms, as there are not alot of owners doing that.

And be sure to take it easy the first 100 miles until the tires scrub in.(ditto with the brake pads)

KM

If You Are Not Sure If I Am Joking or Not....I AM !!Photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/knifemaker1954/sets/
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-29-2008, 10:48 PM Thread Starter

also going to put in a METAL 90 degree valve stem that was suggested.. I will let ya'll know in about 500 miles or so...Thanks for the scuffing advice KM. just to make sure..do you mean..take it slow???and no hard braking?

Last edited by 2001Vulcan; 04-29-2008 at 10:50 PM.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-29-2008, 10:56 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

Thats it If you brake hard on new pads you can cause them to overheat and glaze,causing premature wear and loss of braking
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-06-2008, 08:09 PM

Be sure to use a 90 degree valve stem which is threaded through the rim, not press fit with a rubber base like the OEM straight valve stem. I used the rubber type and developed a leak from the metal stem deflecting toward the rim under high rpm centrifugal force. I checked with the Honda dealer where I bought it and, on the Gold Wing, this stem comes with a stiffening fitting which holds it upright.

Darrel
'03 Vulcan 750 (90k miles)
-Corbin Seat
-V-Force Windshield
-LeatherLyke Touring Bags
-Chrome Luggage Rack
-Headlight Modulator
-Brakelight Flasher
-MF Battery
-Heads-Up Voltage Monitor
-Replaced Stator (9,000 and 16,000 mi.)
-Oil-cooled Stator Mod (photos)
-Replaced and Relocated R/R
-Greased rear splines
-Fused Stator (photos)
-Metzeler ME880 Marathon 170/80-15 (Rear), 110/90-19 (Front)
-TOC MCCTs installed
-Headlight Relays
SOLD - 2013
Sponsored Links
Advertisement