Avon or metzlers ?? - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Wheels, Suspension and Brakes
Everything to do with wheels, tires,
suspension, forks and brakes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-26-2008, 08:46 PM Thread Starter

Avon or metzlers ??

OK, putting new skins on my girlfriends vn750, was wondering about the venoms, I have metz 880's on my vulcan and they are great, so there is no issue there, just wondering about the venoms, and if anyone here has first hand experience with them?, oh yeah, also going with 170/80-15 on rear and 110/90-19 on front, any comments, opinions?, thanx in advance-mark
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-27-2008, 04:31 PM
Drive less, ride more...

I think you'll find that the Avons are indeed good--but the Metzelers are better still.

When I was shopping for new tires for my VN750 last month, I noticed that it was very difficult to find any comments elsewhere on the internet that were less than totally positive about the Metzeler ME880s. They are highly favored by the BMW touring bike crowd. And they are OEM equipment on some BMW model bikes.

Thus, if the finances are there, I would say to go with the Metzelers.

Also: to get the maximum mileage out of these tires as advertised, you guys will need to religiously keep the air pressure at Metzeler's recommended levels.

'05 VN750

For other bike pix & mods, go to:
http://s1203.photobucket.com/albums/...k/VN750%20pix/
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-27-2008, 04:42 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

I've got Metzlers on McK and I like 'em a lot. And agree with hawk - gotta keep the air pressure up to sidewall specs, not like some other mfgr's tires. But they handle really, really nicely.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-27-2008, 05:18 PM
Old Fart

Garage
Just to make this harder for you, I'll say that I know of several owners that run the Venoms and say they are great and stick better than the Metzler
880's.

If it were me, I'd go for whatever I got a good price on, and ..get a 110 front and, as reported elsewhere, a 170/80 for the rear....

KM

If You Are Not Sure If I Am Joking or Not....I AM !!Photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/knifemaker1954/sets/
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-28-2008, 02:00 AM

I went from stock tires to the Venoms and I really like them. I also went with the oversized for front and rear which does seem to give it a more stable ride. I haven't tried the Metz yet so can't really give you a comparison.

2001 VN750
Vista Cruise Control
V-Force shield
Kawasaki Saddlebag supports
Fixed trunk hinge
TOC MCCT
Clear Alternatives LED tail light
Knifemaker style floorboards
Knifemaker style dash
Avon Venom X 110/90 Front
Avon Venom X 170/80 Rear
Big Crank AGM battery
25,100 miles as of 04/20/2010
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-28-2008, 10:02 AM
85 VN 700

See I've kinda found the opposite. I haven't found many negative comments about EITHER tire - but I've seen "more positive" reviews on the venoms.

Let's put it this way, from what I've seen most seem to like their metzlers, most seem to love their avons.

That said, I've ran ME880's on my last 2 bikes (this and my old GS550L) and have been pleased with them. I'm due for a new set of rubber in a couple months (probably near end of summer) and will be giving the Avons a try.

But like KM said - probably not a bad idea to price both out and get the one that you get the best price on (In my experience the ME's are a bit cheaper than the venoms...) . One additional tip - if you get em locally, check the date code BEFORE they are installed - some places have pretty old stock and rubber is better the newer it is...

Ya won't go wrong with either set of rubber... I'm mostly going to be trying the venoms because of that whole grass is greener thing...

Quote:
Originally Posted by theauhawk View Post
I think you'll find that the Avons are indeed good--but the Metzelers are better still.

When I was shopping for new tires for my VN750 last month, I noticed that it was very difficult to find any comments elsewhere on the internet that were less than totally positive about the Metzeler ME880s. They are highly favored by the BMW touring bike crowd. And they are OEM equipment on some BMW model bikes.

Thus, if the finances are there, I would say to go with the Metzelers.

Also: to get the maximum mileage out of these tires as advertised, you guys will need to religiously keep the air pressure at Metzeler's recommended levels.

Curtis - Albany Oregon.
Currently receiving therapy from "Doc" - My 1985 VN700.

Daily rider in NorthWET Oregon.
Ammo Can Saddlebags
Shaved and Rejetted. Coastered. Degoated w/ Hardley pipes.

Bought Feb 2007 with 12K miles.
Hit the 24k mile July 2008

http://photobucket.com/curtis97322
Sponsored Links
Advertisement