vn750 tech question from a fellow kaw rider - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Wheels, Suspension and Brakes
Everything to do with wheels, tires,
suspension, forks and brakes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-09-2008, 11:13 PM Thread Starter

vn750 tech question from a fellow kaw rider

hello all !!

I have a tecno question for the vn750 tech guru's on this site, the question is what are the fork dimensions on your vn750's??? have they changed at all over the years, and if so what are the various dimension of the various years.

the reason I am asking is because I am trying to get some fork braces made for the kawasaki zl series bikes.

I am a member of a similar site dedicated to the kawasaki ZL's our membership is much smaller in numbers than yours, a little over 400, our members ride either the zl900 or the zl1000. I personally have one of each. a completed restored zl1000 and my next project is a basket case zl900.

I and my brothers at the zl owners association have made a contact with a well known maker of vmax performance parts who has expressed interest in making, among other things a fork brace for our bikes. this is very exciting to us because the high quality of the product, but especially because zl900 was made for only two years, 85 & 86, and the zl1000 was made for only one year 1987.

due to the short run and therfore very low number of these bikes that still exist, getting anything for them has become a huge difficulty. We are hoping to team up with other kawasaki riders who have the same front fork dimensions in order to help us to work with the vendor and produce a fork brace that would be of use to the zl guys and, hopefully you VN guys as well.

the zl1000 and the vn750 share many parts and I belive may share the same forks, and thats why Im asking the techno questions..

If anyone can help us out here it would be greatly appreciated !!!

If you have a ZL or are interested in seeing the zloa site just to see what another group of kawasaki nuts are up to check out the site !! If you can answer our questions please post up !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

zloa.com

Last edited by Bacchus; 04-09-2008 at 11:15 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-10-2008, 09:46 AM
and the Adventure Cycle

If the forks are the same size, there is already a fork brace made by Super Brace for the VN750 which may fit your ZL's.
Being at work right now makes it a little tough to get measurments, but once I get home I'll post the fork size where the brace mounts.
If you look at the image of the bike at the top of the page, the Super Brace mounts right below where the dust seal is and just barely misses the fender.

AKA: Tim & 'The Adventure Cycle' VROC #24567, NEVROC, SteelCity VROC

"When life throws you curves,
Aim for the apex."

Author Unknown
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-10-2008, 10:42 AM
85 VN 700

Ronayers.com has a reverse part number lookup. You'll have to find OEM part numbers elsewhere (ronayers.com doesn't list the zl). Unfortunately, bikebandit.com uses their own part numbers rather than kawasaki ones. However, a quick search makes it appear that the front axle is the same (comparing fiche numbers to fiche numbers... no guarantee there) and the front fork outer pipes appear to be the same).

Might also be able to find someone local that'd be willing to let ya compare bikes to see what else might fit...

Curtis - Albany Oregon.
Currently receiving therapy from "Doc" - My 1985 VN700.

Daily rider in NorthWET Oregon.
Ammo Can Saddlebags
Shaved and Rejetted. Coastered. Degoated w/ Hardley pipes.

Bought Feb 2007 with 12K miles.
Hit the 24k mile July 2008

http://photobucket.com/curtis97322

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-10-2008, 09:59 PM Thread Starter

thanks for the input and suggestions !!!!

if there are any vn riders in either ohio or arizona we it would be great to hook up and check out the vn forks. so if anyone in either of these states is willing to hook up please let me know, and if anyone has more informantion on this subject please post up !!
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-11-2008, 07:06 AM
and the Adventure Cycle

Where at in Ohio?
I'm just a short ride across the Eastern state line, in PA., right by the PA turnpike.

AKA: Tim & 'The Adventure Cycle' VROC #24567, NEVROC, SteelCity VROC

"When life throws you curves,
Aim for the apex."

Author Unknown
Sponsored Links
Advertisement