"Ride On" tire sealant - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Wheels, Suspension and Brakes
Everything to do with wheels, tires,
suspension, forks and brakes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-06-2008, 06:06 PM Thread Starter
Drive less, ride more...

"Ride On" tire sealant

After reviewing the Vulcan Verses and earlier threads on the subject, I still couldn't find the answers to a few questions on this stuff....

Is this sealant install procedure pretty easy, or a major pain?

Where is the best place (if any) to order this sealant from (besides Ebay, or the manufacturer)?

Also: I gather using this stuff is a do-it-yourself project, after a new set of tires is installed....so, does "Ride On" supply the necessary tool(s) to properly use this sealant? If not, what (else) do you folks recommend???.....

Thanks....

'05 VN750

For other bike pix & mods, go to:
http://s1203.photobucket.com/albums/...k/VN750%20pix/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-06-2008, 08:04 PM
Growling at the World...

Send a message via Yahoo to bulldog485
Quote:
Originally Posted by theauhawk View Post
After reviewing the Vulcan Verses and earlier threads on the subject, I still couldn't find the answers to a few questions on this stuff....
Is this sealant install procedure pretty easy, or a major pain?
IMHO, it is easy to install.
  • Park bike, put it on the centerstand (or sidestand if you are doing a Classic).
  • Remove valve stem cap. Use included valve stem removal tool and remove valve stem. Let air empty from tire.
  • Shake the hell out of the Ride-on (following the directions for how much to use) and cut nipple off of tube and use clear tube to attach tube of Ride-On to the valve stem and start squeezing the tube of goo into the tire. Make sure you use all you are directed to. For my Nomad, it's a 8oz tube per tire. For the VN750, a 8oz for the rear and 75% of a 8oz tube for the front.
  • Reinstall valve stem and reinflate tire on bike.
  • Repeat for the other tire.
  • Ride the bike to spread out the Ride-On. First mile or two might be "shaky" but after that it evens out. On my Nomad, I didn't even notice any imbalance. On the VN750, if felt out of balance for about 2 blocks then spread out.
  • Done...

Quote:
Where is the best place (if any) to order this sealant from (besides Ebay, or the manufacturer)?
I brought mine from Ebay but the website for the manufacturer is also good. I'm trying to get a local dealer to carry it. They all carry Slime but hate it. Trying to get them to order quality sometimes is hard as they feel that if they cannot order it from Tucker Rocky, they don't want it...

Quote:
Also: I gather using this stuff is a do-it-yourself project, after a new set of tires is installed....so, does "Ride On" supply the necessary tool(s) to properly use this sealant? If not, what (else) do you folks recommend???.....
Thanks....
The kit will include the Ride-On, a clear tube and a valve stem removal tool. You need to supply the labor and the air. I recommend a compressor as it's a real bitch to get your mouth into the space to blow the tire back up...

Evan Breyn ~ The Bulldog
http://www.bulldogsbike.com
2006 Harley Davidson Ultra Classic FLHTCUI ~ The Big Black Bitch ~ 26,000 miles.
2002 Kawasaki Nomad 1500 ~ The Red Dog ~ Traded in at 22,000 miles of smiles (purchased new 10/05 / Traded in 6/12).
1990 Kawasaki Vulcan 750 ~ Black Betty ~ 34,999.7 miles
VROC ~v~ 485
McHenry County Road Pirates
Chicagoland, IL
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-06-2008, 08:45 PM
Old Fart

Garage
yep, easy as pie. Took all of 15 minutes to do both tires. (I have a cheap air compressor from Wal-mart..most of the time was refilling the tires with air..

I ordered it direct from their website, got in in 2 days.

I will never own a bike without using this stuff in the tires.

But..As much as I trust the Ride On..
It is still a good idea to buy one of those "sticky string" puncture repair kits to have with you on the bike if you take a long trip.
Stay away from Slime...but, they do make a nice portable tire inflator to take along too........
http://tinyurl.com/2r7jvy

KM

If You Are Not Sure If I Am Joking or Not....I AM !!Photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/knifemaker1954/sets/

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-07-2008, 04:05 PM
San Diego Vulcan Rider

Just wondering, do you guys have angled valve stems on your rear tires? I have a compressor but it won't go on with a straight (metal) stem. I'll get the angled at the next tire change but looks like there's about 50% tread left.

86' Vulcan, Stock & Lovin it!
Stator, R/R, splines lubed, ACCT's repl. at 25,200
Just turned 29,000 mi.

95' Vulcan, all stock, 9,700 mi.

John Spangler
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-07-2008, 04:27 PM
85 VN 700

No angled stem on mine. My compressor came with a inflator that is real similar to http://tinyurl.com/yveosl (mine's a husky and has a slightly different end) that works well and shows an approximation of tire pressure. I can also attest that the really simple tire chucks (the one's that are about an inch long) will usually work on the rear tire. Best bet is to go to a store and take a look at what inflators they have - buy the one that looks like it'll work, return it if it doesn't (A reason ya always buy from stores with good return policies).

Curtis - Albany Oregon.
Currently receiving therapy from "Doc" - My 1985 VN700.

Daily rider in NorthWET Oregon.
Ammo Can Saddlebags
Shaved and Rejetted. Coastered. Degoated w/ Hardley pipes.

Bought Feb 2007 with 12K miles.
Hit the 24k mile July 2008

http://photobucket.com/curtis97322
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-07-2008, 04:51 PM
Growling at the World...

Send a message via Yahoo to bulldog485
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeForestSD View Post
Just wondering, do you guys have angled valve stems on your rear tires? I have a compressor but it won't go on with a straight (metal) stem. I'll get the angled at the next tire change but looks like there's about 50% tread left.
I had a angle tire stem put on the VN750 years ago and have always wondered why it is not stock on the rear tire.

With a compressor in your garage, you can buy the little air nozzle to get into the OEM fitting but if you are on the road, most gas station chucks will not fit into the small space on the VN750 rear tire.

Is this tidbit in the Vulcan Verses??? YOU MUST CHANGE THE REAR VALVE STEM TO A 90 DEGREE STEM

Someone also sells a valve stem adapter that you can screw on the OEM to give you the 90 degree option, but you cannot leave this on. It is only to be used when filling up the tire. http://www.calmoto.com/SHOP/71111239258.html#

This would let you run with your current stem until you want to pay to have the real 90 degree stem put on at the time of your next tire change.

Evan Breyn ~ The Bulldog
http://www.bulldogsbike.com
2006 Harley Davidson Ultra Classic FLHTCUI ~ The Big Black Bitch ~ 26,000 miles.
2002 Kawasaki Nomad 1500 ~ The Red Dog ~ Traded in at 22,000 miles of smiles (purchased new 10/05 / Traded in 6/12).
1990 Kawasaki Vulcan 750 ~ Black Betty ~ 34,999.7 miles
VROC ~v~ 485
McHenry County Road Pirates
Chicagoland, IL
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-08-2008, 11:15 AM
San Diego Vulcan Rider

Thanks for the info on stems and the ride-on. Good stuff!

86' Vulcan, Stock & Lovin it!
Stator, R/R, splines lubed, ACCT's repl. at 25,200
Just turned 29,000 mi.

95' Vulcan, all stock, 9,700 mi.

John Spangler
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-08-2008, 11:53 AM

thanks , theauhawk for the reminder. was going to get some but slipped my mind. should have it by monday and be ready for the real "riding season" like 60 on up miles from home. the best surprise, is no surprise. ride safe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement