Gravity Feed Reverse Flow Brake Bleeder - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Wheels, Suspension and Brakes
Everything to do with wheels, tires,
suspension, forks and brakes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-07-2008, 11:40 AM Thread Starter

Gravity Feed Reverse Flow Brake Bleeder

OK so I don't see this invention putting me on the beach sippin' drinks with little umbrellas, but hopefully it can help a fellow rider over come the dreaded air bubble in the brake system. I put stainless steel brake hoses on my brothers V star and when I went to bleed the front brakes I could not get a firm lever to save my life. After a couple of hours with this I started researching the internet for pressure brake bleeders, vacuum brake bleeders and reverse flow brake bleeding. So I came up with this.

It's made up with a 2" to 1 1/2" reducer, a 1 1/2" to 1/2" bushing, a 1/2" to 1/8" bushing, and a 1/8" mip to 1/8" hose barb adapter. One small hose clamp, 6' of 1/4"OD vinyl tubing, and a few zip ties. I washed & dryed all the pieces and put them togther with teflon tape. I put a little tef tape on the bleeder screws so thet wouldn't leak when they were loose. Hang the unit so it will be higher then the master cyclinder and fill while holding the hose end above the height of the unit.

Pinch the hose and put it on the caliper bleeder screw.

loosen the bleeder screw to allow the brake fluid in. If it's a dual brake system do the furthest from the master cylinder first. Suck some fluid out of the master cylinder(so it doen't over flow) and repeat with the other caliper.

I know every job doesn't need this but it works good on those stuborn hard to bleed systems, and here's the proof(look at that air come out).

As confused as a hungry baby in a topless bar.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-07-2008, 03:49 PM
Old Fart

Garage
Very nice. I like it when folks come up with "home made" stuff rather than spending money on something that is fairly simple to begin with.

The only caution using this system is making sure you don't overflow your resivoir and spill brake fluid on your paint. Having another set of eyes to check the level is reccomneded.

KM

If You Are Not Sure If I Am Joking or Not....I AM !!Photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/knifemaker1954/sets/
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-07-2008, 05:59 PM

Great idea! and thanks for the picts. Do you have an idea for a small gas tank so we can run our bikes with the stock tank off to sync the carbs? I was toying with the idea of a I.V. bag but gas might damage it.

95 VN750 (eBay)31k+
GL1100 front fender
OEM engine guard
OEM high back rest
'V-Twin' HWY pegs
Black 750 Spectre handlebars
SunPro Volt Meter (Amazon)
Maier bug shield (JCW)
Bar Ends anti-vibe (JCW)
Emgo air filters
Tank bag-Eclipse
Tail bag-FroZone Cooler
Back Rest-Igloo 6 pak cooler
WalMart Saddle Bags
R/R Relocate
Dry Splines Lubed
AGM DieHard-Sears
Gutted Goat
Sporster XL Mufflers
LED's-stop,tail,turn,marker
Pickup coil mod to .45mm
Silverstar headlight
Rotella T6

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-07-2008, 06:18 PM Thread Starter

I'm sure if you used fuel grade tubing, and added a pipe nipple and cap to the set up(probably a shut off valve also) it would just fine for that.

post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-08-2008, 05:58 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knifemaker View Post
Very nice. I like it when folks come up with "home made" stuff rather than spending money on something that is fairly simple to begin with.

The only caution using this system is making sure you don't overflow your resivoir and spill brake fluid on your paint. Having another set of eyes to check the level is reccomneded.

KM
Thanks, but another person isn't necessary the brake fluid doesn't come gushing out. There's plenty of time to hook the system up and check the master cyclinder level. You start with the master cylinder empty to near empty. Usually by the time it fills you are done unless it's a dual brake system them you remove some fluid and repeat on the other side as I stated in the original post. It's a one man job.

post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-08-2008, 03:53 PM
Old Fart

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickU View Post
Thanks, but another person isn't necessary the brake fluid doesn't come gushing out. There's plenty of time to hook the system up and check the master cyclinder level. You start with the master cylinder empty to near empty. Usually by the time it fills you are done unless it's a dual brake system them you remove some fluid and repeat on the other side as I stated in the original post. It's a one man job.

And it likely is for you. My suggestion was more for the somewhat less mechinicaly inclined members here...and for those who are wishing to bleed their system..(not nesseccarily installing new lines)
If you have a "plasma bag" filled with brake fluid hanging far above the master cylnder resivoir, with a hose attatched going to the calipher bleed screw...as soon as you open that screw fluid will flow though the system. You can't see how much is there in the resivoir if you are on your knees opening up that bleed screw.
Am sure you know how to be carefull, but not everyone who may try your idea will have a clear understanding of the circumstances and the physics involved.

KM

If You Are Not Sure If I Am Joking or Not....I AM !!Photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/knifemaker1954/sets/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement