Correct angle of brake reservoir? - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Wheels, Suspension and Brakes
Everything to do with wheels, tires,
suspension, forks and brakes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-30-2008, 11:29 PM Thread Starter

Correct angle of brake reservoir?

Compared to my son's VN 500 brake reservoir, which is level when his bike is upright, I noticed that mine is canted slightly upward- maybe 25 degrees? - so that when I check the brake fluid level through the sight glass, it appears low. When I unscrew the reservoir top, it cannot be fully filled because of the angle (the fluid overflows the edge). Is the reservoir supposed to be angled, or should it be level? I also realize that if I level it, it will cause the brake lever to be positioned lower. Thank you in advance!

jon

west chester, PA

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-31-2008, 10:49 AM
Shout out to 916

As far as i can tell you need to get the top as level as you can. Since its a sealed system onec you have filled the reservoir with the apporpriate amount of fluid you will be good to go.

The Complete rebuild of Lulu my 2004 Lady in RED!

What I Think Kawasaki ment by Fire and Steele!

https://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3542

Preformace inhancing parts:

TOC MCCT's, Iridum Plugs, Racing clutches, K&N Air filters, Marbled, Jardeen rumblers, and 170 80 h15 avon venum rear tire.

Kinda like Steroids for my Lulu

:
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-31-2008, 05:56 PM
Old Fart

Garage
You only need to level the reservoir if you are filling it. To check the level you usualy get a good reading by turning the bars full left. (Make sure you cover your tank and fender as brake fluid eats paint)
You can loosen/retighten the mounting bolts a bit to level it more, but once done, you can adjust it at any angle you feel comfortable with.

KM

If You Are Not Sure If I Am Joking or Not....I AM !!Photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/knifemaker1954/sets/

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-31-2008, 11:05 PM Thread Starter

Lurch, thank you for your reply.
KM - thank you also. I'm guessing the PO had a shorter grip, and that the reservoir was canted to give easier access to the brake lever. I leveled it off more this evening, and filled the reservoir with fluid "to the edge". And with the new position, the top of my hand is still horizontal, and no problem reaching the lever with my fingers.

jon

west chester, PA

Sponsored Links
Advertisement