Wheels, Suspension and Brakes
Everything to do with wheels, tires,
suspension, forks and brakes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-25-2008, 02:27 PM Thread Starter
Rider on the Storm

Garage
Question Tire Inflator/Compressor

I own a Sears tire inflator/compressor that, after 25 years of use, is beginning to lose its punch.

I am looking for a good quality replacement (that runs on AC) to keep my auto and motorcycle tires properly inflated. Any recommendations?

EZC

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-26-2008, 07:39 PM
Drive less, ride more...

There are 2 schools of thought here.

You can go first class, and pick up the "Cycle Pump"...and have probably the best made, and designed specifically for motorcycle use:

http://bestrestproducts.com/celestia...cts/cyclepump/

Aerostich carries the Cycle Pump, so it's a safe bet that it's a quality unit.

Before I buy one like that, I'd want to know for sure that it draws 10 amps or less--which is the max safe output for the VN750's electrical accessory leads.

The other school of thought is to merely go to Walmart and pick up the cheapest made-in-china unit you can find, that meets your requirements--in the automotive department.

Your choice, Dude....

'05 VN750

For other bike pix & mods, go to:
http://s1203.photobucket.com/albums/...k/VN750%20pix/
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-26-2008, 08:12 PM Thread Starter
Rider on the Storm

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by theauhawk View Post
There are 2 schools of thought here...
Thanks for the suggestions, but I'm looking in a third direction. I want a pump that: 1) I can plug into the AC wall outlet in my garage, and 2) is reliable/durable. The Aerostitch cycle pump air compressor is not an AC unit; and I don't want to grab a cheap unit at Walmart that will fall apart or burn out.

Hmmm... on second thought, the Aerostich product looks like it has an adapter that will let me draw the juice off my car battery via the cigarette lighter socket... that would work since I usually fill the tires in the garage where I keep both bike and car. And it WOULD be helpful to know that could draw juice off the bike battery while on the road -- I'll check with Aerostich to see if they can tell me how many amps their unit draws. (I have a trickle charge connector on the bike that's easily accessible.)

EZC

Last edited by EasyRector; 01-26-2008 at 08:36 PM.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-26-2008, 08:22 PM
Drive less, ride more...

Whatever floats your boat, but I think most other people on the forum (or elsewhere) would agree that the time(s) you're most likely to really need a tire pump are places other than your garage.

A tire pump will do you waaa-haaay more good if it's one that you can take with you, on the road, and work off of your vehicle's cigarette lighter or accessory leads.

Besides, your car or bike battery should easily be able to handle the brief loading from a tire pump, anyway.

That's also why the a/c-powered units aren't so easy to find.....

'05 VN750

For other bike pix & mods, go to:
http://s1203.photobucket.com/albums/...k/VN750%20pix/

Last edited by theauhawk; 01-26-2008 at 08:24 PM.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-26-2008, 10:27 PM Thread Starter
Rider on the Storm

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by theauhawk View Post
... but I think most other people on the forum (or elsewhere) would agree that the time(s) you're most likely to really need a tire pump are places other than your garage...
A little clarification... in our blended family of 8 (including six children between the ages of 14 and 21), the air pump is used most often to keep the tires on the multiple cars blocking our driveway topped off. As for my motorcycle... I've owned 4 bikes since the early 80s and have never used a pump in any other place than my garage because I make sure that the tires are properly inflated before I leave the house.

Of course, now that I've said that, I will probably have a flat in the middle of nowhere! (In fact, a couple of years ago I could have used a portable unit when my Camry had a flat tire in a construction zone on I-75 outside of Saginaw, MI at 3:30 in the morning!)

The portability factor makes me lean toward the Aerostich. I'm assuming it has enough oomph to top off car tires too (it has been reported that troops in Iraq are now using it to inflate jeep tires while away from the base). And I can pack it on the bike when I go touring.

EZC

Last edited by EasyRector; 01-26-2008 at 10:38 PM.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-26-2008, 11:43 PM
Old Fart

Garage
You should go back to Walmart..they sell a nice cheap AC unit that I use all the time in my garage..has a built in gauge and comes with adaptors for filling basketballs to air mattresses. Think is was around $20.00...

Now, that said, they also sell a smaller 12 volt unit, that many folks have bought , torn apart, and made into a even smaller unit they can carry on their bike.
Some have bought the unit put out by "Slime" tire sealent..(don't use the sealent, but buy the pump) was on special at Autozone for awhile, again , under $20.00 without the rebate.

I think if I had that many cars/bikes in my driveway to deal with, I'd blow a bit more cash and by a small compressor from Sears...

KM

If You Are Not Sure If I Am Joking or Not....I AM !!Photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/knifemaker1954/sets/
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-27-2008, 12:02 AM
Members who have donated towards server costs

I use a Campbell-Hausfeld air compressor w/13 gallon tank. Works for the cars, the bike, the bicycles, the nailer, and all my other toys as well. Of course, it's definitly not portable but I never run out of air.

Jim W
93 VN 750 "Ursula"
Moved R/R 08Sep06
R/R rewire 17Feb07
New R/R, Installed 14Jun08
New Stator installed 10 Jun08
Maintenance Free Battery 12Jan08
21480 Miles
VROC #8542
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-27-2008, 09:41 AM
Members who have donated towards server costs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky Rider View Post
I use a Campbell-Hausfeld air compressor w/13 gallon tank. Works for the cars, the bike, the bicycles, the nailer, and all my other toys as well. Of course, it's definitly not portable but I never run out of air.
I agree. I use a compressor a lot. I have a "non-portable" one in the garage and I carry 12v ones in a couple of my cars. The bigger one in the garage will pump up a tire MUCH faster than a portable one - especially a big car or truck tire.

EasyRector - with all those teenagers, I think you need to go for volume!!!

97 VN 750
R&R Relocated
Degoated
Marbled
Ears Shaved/Rejetted
MF/AGM Battery
Irridium Plugs
Spring Solo Seat
32 Ford Model A Tail Light
Custom 2 into 1 Exhaust with 12 inch Glass Pack

Rear bobbed and hard-tailed!
https://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5385
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-27-2008, 10:39 AM
Old Truck Junkie

I bought a Campbell Hausfeld Professional about 10 yrs ago. I am not sure of the size, but, it has been a good compresser. I got it from Harbor frieght free shipping to my house.

02 honda sabre 1100
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-27-2008, 08:02 PM

I've had a small Coleman 120v direct drive compressor for 10 years. Small size and plenty of power. Gets lots of abuse (5 kids) and still runs like a champ. I also have a portable air tank, 8 gal 120 psi, that I can pack up and go (not on the bike) when needed.

Suggestion: Buy the largest most powerful on you can afford, you won't regret the extra power and you will be able to do a lot more with it. Painting, buffing, blasting, tires, grinding, sanding, just to name a few.

95 VN750 (eBay)31k+
GL1100 front fender
OEM engine guard
OEM high back rest
'V-Twin' HWY pegs
Black 750 Spectre handlebars
SunPro Volt Meter (Amazon)
Maier bug shield (JCW)
Bar Ends anti-vibe (JCW)
Emgo air filters
Tank bag-Eclipse
Tail bag-FroZone Cooler