How many miles on Metz 880 rear rire? - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Wheels, Suspension and Brakes
Everything to do with wheels, tires,
suspension, forks and brakes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-16-2005, 02:58 PM Thread Starter

Question How many miles on Metz 880 rear rire?

I currently have about 13,000 miles on my Metz 880 tires. The front looks hardly worn at all, but the rear looks like I will have to replace it in the not too distant future. Can anyone that has worn out a set of the Metz 880's tell me how many miles they got out of their rear tire?

Dennis in Maryland
AKA - The Krusty Old Phart
Still turnin' burnin' and lurnin'
http://photos.yahoo.com/krustyoldphart
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-16-2005, 03:52 PM

Re: How many miles on Metz 880 rear rire?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennisinmd
I currently have about 13,000 miles on my Metz 880 tires. The front looks hardly worn at all, but the rear looks like I will have to replace it in the not too distant future. Can anyone that has worn out a set of the Metz 880's tell me how many miles they got out of their rear tire?
Dennis...Check your air pressure in that rear. It should be at least 40psi. I run at ~ 37psi front and 41rear (Metz recommends 36 & 40 f/r), check it religiously, and my last set of 880s lasted me just over 22000mi on both. I don't do burnouts, but I run pretty aggressively.....and I could have easily gotten another 500mi or so out of the rear.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-17-2005, 07:55 PM

How much do you guys weigh? Weight and load makes a huge difference in wear. A guy who is 240 lbs and has his 140 lb girlfriend riding pillion most of time isn't going to get nearly the treadlife that a 130 lb solo rider will.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-18-2005, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce
How much do you guys weigh? Weight and load makes a huge difference in wear. A guy who is 240 lbs and has his 140 lb girlfriend riding pillion most of time isn't going to get nearly the treadlife that a 130 lb solo rider will.
True, Bruce.
Or maybe not.....
That's why it's crucial to follow the mfg recommendations if they give one...
I'm 5'9" 160lbs.
Metz recommends the pressures above for 'average' solo riding, the rider being 170lb; they also stipulate psi for higher loads.

In their 04 fitment guide they say 'generally' 2-up 'light' would be 40/46 psi f/r
and 2-up 'heavy' could be 41-42 f/48-49 r psi.
So your hypothetical 380lb riders had better use higher pressures!
(pc question of the day....are they 2-up 'light' or 2-up 'heavy?? )

Metzeler also says "...All pressures shown are MINIMUM pressures. Using higher pressures (up to the maximum listed on the sidewall) will result in higher mileage..."
Bottom line....when you get tires other than the exact oem ones that came w/ your ride....please throw out the OM psi recomendations and find out what the new mfg says...

I'd be interested in hearing what psi Dennis is running in that rear tire....
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-18-2005, 06:07 PM Thread Starter

I run 40 PSI in the rear tire. I weigh 180 - 195 depending on time of year. Heavier in the winter. I took a much closer look today while changing the oil and cleaning up the wheels. Rear tire appears to have maybe another 5,000 miles in it, possibly a bit more. I will put that much or more on by early summer. Main wear is right in the center, of course. Wear outside of a one inch center strip is much less.
Front is 37 PSI.
I check at least once a week, sometimes more often that that if I am riding more.

Dennis in Maryland
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-19-2005, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennisinmd
I run 40 PSI in the rear tire. I weigh 180 - 195 depending on time of year. Heavier in the winter. I took a much closer look today while changing the oil and cleaning up the wheels. Rear tire appears to have maybe another 5,000 miles in it, possibly a bit more. I will put that much or more on by early summer. Main wear is right in the center, of course. Wear outside of a one inch center strip is much less.
Front is 37 PSI.
I check at least once a week, sometimes more often that that if I am riding more.
Sounds like you're in the ballpark....
I might consider going to 41-42psi tho, seeing as how you are a tad over the 170lbs Metzeler bases it's recommendations on, esp if you carry stuff.
The max on the rear is 52psi, IIRC, so even with 10% heat expansion you would be fine at 42psi IMHO.....
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-19-2005, 06:52 PM Thread Starter

Smile Re: How many miles on Metz 880 rear rire?

Will add a few pounds (of air to the tire that is) and see if it makes a difference. Thanks to all who responded.

Dennis in Maryland
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-20-2005, 01:07 AM

Hi all,
Very interesting reading on tire mileage. Sounds like I need to buy Metzlers next time and save some money in the long run. My original back tire only got about 6500 miles. My second rear tire, Maxxis Classic, got only 5800. Am now runing a back tire Dunlop 404. Front tire experience is much better. Got about 10,000 on the first one. Still on the second one. I do not run my bike hard as I am a 60 year old retiree and weigh in about 175 pounds. Would appreciate any other comments regarding tire mileage and brands of tire used.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-20-2005, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvdaise
Hi all,
Very interesting reading on tire mileage. Sounds like I need to buy Metzlers next time and save some money in the long run. My original back tire only got about 6500 miles. My second rear tire, Maxxis Classic, got only 5800. Am now runing a back tire Dunlop 404. Front tire experience is much better. Got about 10,000 on the first one. Still on the second one. I do not run my bike hard as I am a 60 year old retiree and weigh in about 175 pounds. Would appreciate any other comments regarding tire mileage and brands of tire used.
Welcome, RV!
The Metzeler 880 has a strong following among the VN750 crowd, so do Dunlops.
My only experience has been w/the stock Bridgestones (replaced at 12000mi) and the Metzeler880s I replaced them with.
I would check w/ Dunlop to see if they have recommended pressures for our bikes. If they don't...for solo riding I would run at somewhere between 15% & 20% less than the maximum as listed on the sidewall, depending on how firm you prefer.
If you carry passengers, I would definitely go up 3-5lbs from there..
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-20-2005, 01:17 PM

rvdaise,

What pressures did you run your old tires at? Your tire life is shockingy low for a 175 lb solo rider. Is the pavement rough in your area? I know from other MC forums that a few areas of the county use a brutally rough stone mix in their pavement and this chews up tires like crazy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement