Rear Brakes - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Wheels, Suspension and Brakes
Everything to do with wheels, tires,
suspension, forks and brakes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-24-2005, 11:17 AM Thread Starter

Rear Brakes

I own a 2005 VN750 with 135 mile on it. I feel that the rear brakes are not adequate, what I mean is, I really have to push hard on the pedal to get what I feel is a little braking, I couldn't lock the rear brakes if I had to. Any advise before I go to the dealer? Thanks

Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-24-2005, 03:26 PM

Re: Rear Brakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgt Mike
I own a 2005 VN750 with 135 mile on it. I feel that the rear brakes are not adequate, what I mean is, I really have to push hard on the pedal to get what I feel is a little braking, I couldn't lock the rear brakes if I had to. Any advise before I go to the dealer? Thanks

Mike
Mike...you can increase the feel and lessen brake pedal travel by turning the adjuster nut on the end of the brake rod (near the hub) CW.
Put the bike on the centerstand, and adjust this so that it feels right, but not so tight that you cannot freely spin the rear wheel...no effort. You don't want to be able to lock up the rear easily at all.
FWIW, my dealer set my 01 up w/ just a nub of the brake rod protruding past the adjuster. Too soft...
I have just recently changed out the rear pads, and I have ~5/8" of rod past the adjuster. It's firm, but not too firm.....
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-24-2005, 09:34 PM
Search Goddess

Re: Rear Brakes

Bear in mind to that only 30% of your braking power comes from your rear brakes, 70% from your front brakes. You won't get the same results but you can improve it as mentioned in the other posts. The brake pedal is also adjustable giving you a firmer stomp if needed. I recently added a clamshell kuryakan brake cover to mine and have a broader surface for my foot. I find I am using it more now since it is easier to find. I still consider my front brake my primary.

Dianna
Conway, AR
Patriot Guard Rider
2000 VN750 Sere (Serendipity)
1990 GL1500 (Ole Blue)
1986 VN750 EVie (project bike, heavy custom)
VROC # 11628 / 25000-H
ARVROC # 12 Coordinator and Crowd Control
OKVROC # 18 (H)
TNVROC # 45 (H)

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-02-2006, 09:20 AM
dsr

front brake question

I have also noticed that the back brake seems very weak. My main question is about the front brake. When my bike is on the center stand and you manually rotate the front tire, you hear a slight rubbing sound esp in certain places along the rotor. The bike has 150 miles on it. Is this normal since the brake pads are not broke in or do I need to have the dealer look at it? Prob. a dumb question, but this is my first road bike. thanks
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-03-2006, 06:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsr
... you hear a slight rubbing sound esp in certain places along the rotor....
I believe that's going to be normal on all bikes with disk brakes. At least, all that I've seen do that.

CD in Frederick, OK
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-19-2006, 07:55 AM

Hmmm...when I took the MSF course last year, I locked the rear brake the first time I did a fast stop. In the course they said you NEVER want to lock the rear brakes because it causes a skid which increases your stopping distance.
During practice, I did it perfectly after that. I then took the test and locked the rear brake for just a second and wound up going over the allowable distance by 1 inch! They gave me a point for that.

I know you want maximum available stopping power, but I would think twice about setting the rear brake up so you CAN lock it.
On my bike, it seems takes quite abit of pressure to lock up my rear brake. I think I like it that way....

Dom
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-21-2006, 03:24 AM

Just my 2 cents worth. I only ever really count on my rear brake for slowing, and manuvering, at low speeds (parking lots), and on gravel roads (I have to ride on a few lol). Your rear brake sounds like it is set up just about right to me.

I do not even think of it as a real brake, more of a manuvering tool like flaps on an airplane.

We have great brakes up front and a wimpy one in the back for a good reason. You really really want to use your front brakes for stopping power as much as possible above about 20mph.

Hammer
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-21-2006, 09:43 AM
Uber Member

Send a message via AIM to Hizzo3 Send a message via Yahoo to Hizzo3
i seem to only use my rear brake when i am at a stop and am adjusting my gloves or something or if i am turning through a parking lot. i like the looseness of mine so that i can drag it in second and still turn w/out the jumpyness of being in first (hope that makes sense) other than that, my rear brake pedal is just another chrome peice. but loose is better, u dont wanna slam on it in an emergency stop and lock that back tire, bad idea. keep it loose and get used to it that way

'04 Vn750
Currently Installed
nat'l cycle deflector shield
westco 12v30 MF, 30A/h w/ 350 CCA's w/ custom box
TOC stator cover w/ Frankenstator mod!
R/R relo

Soon to have (own or on order)
TOC ACCT's
Mez's 110-FRT 170/80-Rear
Custom rear fender and tail light
Givi hard bags w/ custom rear turn signals

Band Engineer/Webmaster for Josey Contreras Tejano Band
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-26-2006, 10:08 AM

Quote:

Mike

I think that your brakes just need to break in. They should get better over time.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-28-2006, 07:58 PM

Quote:

Mike

I think that they just have to break in. They should get better over time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement