Brakes work now!!!!! - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Wheels, Suspension and Brakes
Everything to do with wheels, tires,
suspension, forks and brakes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-04-2007, 11:50 PM Thread Starter
Undercover Sportbiker

Arrow Brakes work now!!!!!

OK, so I am absolutely not a patient person. I set up the gravity bleed as directed in my last post, but I just cannot wait for results. So in looking at some other posts, I saw mention of a vacuum pump method of bleeding brakes. On a whim I checked out a link from here to Harbor Freight for a vacumm bleeder kit. (http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=92474). By this time, however, they were closed. Did I mention I was impatient? So I looked at how it appeared to operate and called another buddy of mine who said "suck." Not in so many words, but the gist was to apply a vacuum to the bleeder and force the fluid down. Let me pause and say that brake fluid tastes like crap!

Long story short, once I got the fluid to appear, it became a simple matter of bleeding the brakes as you normally would. Just remember to keep the reservoir filled. Having speed bleeders definitely helped. None of that open/close repeat business. It was more like queeze and hold for 3 seconds (watch the pretty bubbles!), release, repeat until the brake lever is firm.

Hopefully this helps some other poor soul who also decides to change out pretty much everything between the master cylinder and the calipers. Here's a quick breakdown of what I did:

Master cylinder not replaced (cleaned out completely)
Banjo into MC replaced (came with the lines)
Galfer steel brake lines (2 line system to replace the original 3 line +splitter)
Calipers not replaced (removed and cleaned completely)
Speed bleeders added to calipers
Galfer green Kevlar pads

On a side note, if you need brake stuff and don't already have a "preferred" source, try cyclebrakes.com / cyclebrakes.net. The .com site is for looking stuff up. The .net site is for actually purchasing. The people there were very helpful and responsive.

Ride your ride. AJ
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-05-2007, 09:35 AM
Members who have donated towards server costs

The harbor freight tool you pointed to is somewhat like a mityvac I had mentioned:
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=39522

I don't know about the one you pointed to but with the mityvac you can reverse bleed by using pressure at the slave so instead of suck you blow. You fill up the mityvac container with brake fluid, hook up one end to the slave cylinder, the other end up to the pressure port of the mityvac (or you could use an air compressor with LOW pressure) - then you should be able to prime the master cylinder and get alot of the air out. If you use the compressor, I think you could get something that would work at an automotive store called a self bleeder for about $5.00

Deuce (Loran Naperville IL)
1995 VN750 (Black w/ 2004 tins - no teal)
2003 VN750
Both have: - F&S Bags & brackets
- Corbin seat w backrest
- Progressive suspension.
- Kury iso goldwing grips
2 1983 V65 Magnas
2 1985 V65 Mangas (1 which is in many parts)
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-29-2009, 06:35 AM
Members who have donated towards server costs

Send a message via Skype™ to KIMMERLING
Speed bleeders

Hey everyone! I just wanted to say how much I appreciate this forum and the wisdom of all you veteran riders...its nice to be part of the brotherhood. I just ordered my speedbleeders. Stay safe.
Mark

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-29-2009, 04:41 PM
Old Fart

Garage
Wow, reviving a 2 year old post...aces dude!

KM

If You Are Not Sure If I Am Joking or Not....I AM !!Photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/knifemaker1954/sets/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement