HELP!!! - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Wheels, Suspension and Brakes
Everything to do with wheels, tires,
suspension, forks and brakes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-21-2014, 04:14 PM Thread Starter

HELP!!!

so i wanted to lower the bike a little and was reading about different shocks and fork adjustments and decided to try the latter, after loosening the clamps i sat on the bike and the front end has now sank all the way down to the fender, what do i do to get it back up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-21-2014, 04:27 PM

Just to be clear about what you are asking...you loosened the triple tree clamps slid the forks up until the forks slid out of the top by like 8 inches?

I would say put a jack with a piece of wood (like a piece of 2x4) on it and jack up the front of the engine and raise the front end up where you want it then tighten the triple tree clamps back down.

Keep in mind, just lowering the front will change all kinds of geometry with the bike and might make it very quirky to ride.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LibertyPilot View Post
Leave it to me to NOT be fond of something then end up banging it.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-22-2014, 12:52 AM Thread Starter

so i had to dig the jack out and finally found my 2 x 4, now i drive a truck overnight so i will be attempting this in the morning after work but you are correct deviate, i just feel like it sits so high that was why i wanted to lower it some, but 2 inches not 8. anyway where exactly should i position the jack/2x4 to lift the front.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-22-2014, 02:17 AM

just put it under the front of the engine. 2x4 will go cross ways left to right. you only need enough lift to get the front wheel off the ground. its pretty easy. good time to take the front wheel off and clean the rim if its dirty. spray bottle with dawn and water works really well. just dry it so it won't leave spots on the aluminum.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

2003 kaw vn 750 pushing 40,000 miles.
tp stator
dampers
coil relay mod
other stuff not listed
mustang seat
motorcycle repair at a stealership 1 million bucks, repairs with the help of the Vulcan750 forum priceless.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-22-2014, 07:01 AM
Old Fart

Garage
If you don't lower the rear don't lower the front. 2 inches will change the front end geometry in a BAD way. May seem fine until you get on the highway and find yourself with an uncontrollable wobble.

My question here is why do you want the bike lower? Are you real short?
Lowering the front 2 inches only lowers the seat 7/8".
If you can't do it properly don't do it at all.

If You Are Not Sure If I Am Joking or Not....I AM !!Photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/knifemaker1954/sets/
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-22-2014, 07:56 AM Thread Starter

Well I stand about 5 feet 8 inches tall so I don't know how short you would consider that but that was one of the initial concerns that I wanted a little lower because I always feel like I'm sitting really high on the bike especially when I see it compared to other bikes when I'm next to other bikes on the road if you like I'm always sitting much higher than they are and then the other day I got on the highway and as soon as I merge into traffic a crosswind literally pushed me over from the right lane to the middle even though I was trying to get there anyway I would have liked to do it under my own volition and not have the wind assist me if you will no I don't want to be riding on the ground but I also don't want to be floating on a cloud when I'm on the road just trying to find that happy medium where its most comfortable for me
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-22-2014, 08:18 AM
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to OleDirtyDoc
I agree with KM.if you lower the front get some shorter shocks, suzuki savage bolt on and are about 2-2 1/2" lower.

ONE RATS ASS GIVEN PER POST
Support your local FREEBIRDS MC
1986/5 Vn700/750 Frankenfook cross eyed bitch "Mellisa Fayhe"
I am a BIKER and i'm proud.FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY

lowered with progessive 412 10" shocks
rejetted for K/N Pods part#rc 2340
sportster seat

'I didn't lose my mind.i gave it away

BRING BACK WOLFIE."Peace and Carrots"RIP
"And I'm free...as a bird"John Lennon Free as a Bird
"I only carry when I have my pants on"Joe Robinson RIP aka Old Dog
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-22-2014, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rep139 View Post
Well I stand about 5 feet 8 inches tall so I don't know how short you would consider that but that was one of the initial concerns that I wanted a little lower because I always feel like I'm sitting really high on the bike especially when I see it compared to other bikes when I'm next to other bikes on the road if you like I'm always sitting much higher than they are and then the other day I got on the highway and as soon as I merge into traffic a crosswind literally pushed me over from the right lane to the middle even though I was trying to get there anyway I would have liked to do it under my own volition and not have the wind assist me if you will no I don't want to be riding on the ground but I also don't want to be floating on a cloud when I'm on the road just trying to find that happy medium where its most comfortable for me
First..no offense intended but that long run-on sentence needs some punctuation and capitalization. Sheesh.

Makes sense that most of the bikes you pull up next to seem shorter. That has been the trend for the last several years with most of the manufacturers and their standard and cruiser lines. Pull up next to a BMW and your bike will look nice a short.

I agree with KM and Doc. Don't just lower the front. I only lowered the rear on mine and it didn't seem to affect the ride-ability of the bike at all, but lowering just the front is sketchy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LibertyPilot View Post
Leave it to me to NOT be fond of something then end up banging it.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-22-2014, 10:06 AM
Old Fart

Garage
Well lowering the bike a few inches won't make any difference in a cross wind....that all has to do with mass and surface area.

If both of your feet can touch the ground when you hold the bike up straight there's no reason to lower it. I'm 5'7-1/2" and had no problems getting both feet flat in the ground.
If you need to lower yourself to touch the ground you should really lower yourself ....and not the bike. Quickest way is to get a lower seat or cut the stock one down some.
There are many bikes that are in fact taller than the Vulcan. Average seat height for a sport bike is like 31". The Vulcan is around 29".
Don't compare yourself to other bikes anyway.

If you let the wind blow you into another lane it must have been a incredibly strong wind.......

If You Are Not Sure If I Am Joking or Not....I AM !!Photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/knifemaker1954/sets/
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-22-2014, 10:43 AM
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to OleDirtyDoc
Hell I'm 6'.I lowered mine cause I like low bikes

ONE RATS ASS GIVEN PER POST
Support your local FREEBIRDS MC
1986/5 Vn700/750 Frankenfook cross eyed bitch "Mellisa Fayhe"
I am a BIKER and i'm proud.FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY