Frok Seal Change - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Wheels, Suspension and Brakes
Everything to do with wheels, tires,
suspension, forks and brakes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-07-2007, 08:08 AM Thread Starter

Angry Frok Seal Change

I changed my fork seals the other day. A 2-3 hour job took me all day. I got started early about 0900. The first problem that I ran into was those stupid slip rings on the top. It is definitely a two person job. I got my daughter to push down on the top and she could not keep it down. When my wife and son got back from the store about 1 1/2 to 2 hours later I got my wife to help. She couldn't hold it down either. So, I got my son and he could not hold it down either. I held it down and tried to explain to my son how to get the clip out. It took about 30-45 minutes to get it out. On the other side it only took about 5 minutes, because we know how to do it. I thought I drained all the oil out, but to my surprise there was still a lot of oil in there. Then came the allen bolts on the bottom. I tried with a normal allen wrench and even with a cheater I could not budge it. So, I went to the store and bought one that you use a ratchet with. I snapped it in half. Back to the store and bought a hardened one and use my impact gun. I finally got them off and oil went everywhere. Off came the right fork and into the vise to pull it apart. I tried to be careful to keep all the part from flying out. Guess what everything came flying out and the book did not show the order very well. Did I mention that all the parts found the dirty spots in the floor. So, I had to take the other fork off to see how the parts fit. Anyway putting it back together was no problem. That is something I never want to do again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-07-2007, 08:22 AM
Members who have donated towards server costs

One repair job just leads to another, doesn't it? At least it's a good excuse for buying more tools!

C
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-07-2007, 12:58 PM

II just bought an impact gun on sale at Pep Boys and a fancy torque wrench. I'm hoping that I'll never have to reach again for that butter knife to turn a screw.
Piromedicx, I'm doing my seals, springs and front bearings this week. I'm in trouble...I don't have any kids. Do your children have their working papers? : ) lol Thanks for all your information. I've read everything on this site and have received great information from Cindy. Wish we luck

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-07-2007, 01:13 PM
Growling at the World...

Send a message via Yahoo to bulldog485
Here is my Fork Seal replacement write-up.

http://www.bulldogsbike.com/forkseals.htm

I didn't have to get a wife or kid to help as Chad (ccspinner1) lives right down the road from me... Much easer to do a job when you have a Master Mechanic on hand to rescue you...

Evan Breyn ~ The Bulldog
http://www.bulldogsbike.com
2006 Harley Davidson Ultra Classic FLHTCUI ~ The Big Black Bitch ~ 26,000 miles.
2002 Kawasaki Nomad 1500 ~ The Red Dog ~ Traded in at 22,000 miles of smiles (purchased new 10/05 / Traded in 6/12).
1990 Kawasaki Vulcan 750 ~ Black Betty ~ 34,999.7 miles
VROC ~v~ 485
McHenry County Road Pirates
Chicagoland, IL
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-07-2007, 01:32 PM

Bulldog,
Wow, What a great site. Eveyone should spend time there. How can it get any better then that?
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-07-2007, 09:59 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crobins365 View Post
One repair job just leads to another, doesn't it? At least it's a good excuse for buying more tools!
AMEN
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-07-2007, 10:01 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulldog485 View Post
Here is my Fork Seal replacement write-up.

http://www.bulldogsbike.com/forkseals.htm

I didn't have to get a wife or kid to help as Chad (ccspinner1) lives right down the road from me... Much easer to do a job when you have a Master Mechanic on hand to rescue you...
Sure you have to get a master mechanic to do what my kids can do!!!!HA HA HA
Just kidding. Really it's my jealousy showing
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-07-2007, 10:16 PM
Growling at the World...

Send a message via Yahoo to bulldog485
Quote:
Originally Posted by piromedicx View Post
I'm the type of guy will bring a sword to a knife fight or a rocket launcher to a pistol duel. If I can, I will... Who else but me feels the need to bring a fully dressed touring bike to a VN750 rally?

Evan Breyn ~ The Bulldog
http://www.bulldogsbike.com
2006 Harley Davidson Ultra Classic FLHTCUI ~ The Big Black Bitch ~ 26,000 miles.
2002 Kawasaki Nomad 1500 ~ The Red Dog ~ Traded in at 22,000 miles of smiles (purchased new 10/05 / Traded in 6/12).
1990 Kawasaki Vulcan 750 ~ Black Betty ~ 34,999.7 miles
VROC ~v~ 485
McHenry County Road Pirates
Chicagoland, IL
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-07-2007, 10:34 PM
HAWK

Send a message via Yahoo to Ccspinner
Quote:
Originally Posted by piromedicx View Post
Hay watch it, I like helping when I can.
Also if I screwed up it wasen't my bike

Chad Falstad "Hawk"
Vroc #17649
2011 HD Ultra Classic "angel"
2001 Nomad 1500 Sold March 2012
2001 VN 750 "Sold June with 2008 with 21,000""Serinity"
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-09-2007, 11:21 AM

Talking My experience with the fork seals...

The fork seals was one of the first jobs one my bike since they were bad when I bought it. If anyone else is contemplating this job heres a few thoughts:

First...use Bulldog's write up.. ...it's great. Read it....Read it again...print it out...and read it again. Have it handy when ur doing the job...so u can read it some more. Read the Clymers before starting also....more than once.

The allen bolts...loosen them first...I think I even loosened them before I took the front tire off. If I remember correctly..I put the from tire between my knees and it made it a little sturdier to loosen the bolts. Don't loosen enough to drip oil all over the place...just break them free. On re-assembly snug them up....and torque them after it'd all together.

And that PIA circlip.........two words. "Dental Pick"!! It worked wonders....did both forks by myself, and I am by no means a "master mechanic"....or master of anything for that matter...lol! I've done brakes and a water-pump (auto stuff), or two.. in my life....but this is my first foray into cycle mechanics.

So far....on this bike...I've done the fork seals....rebuilt master cyl and calipers. Replaced old hoses with steel braided brake lines. I replaced the decelerator cable and adjusted the brake and clutch cables. And...replaced front and back turn signals. Most of which with help from this group!! Read...ask questions and have some patience...most jobs are fairly easy with a little help.

I'm headed for new tires...and a spline lube soon. I just posted some Q's on here....because this is the place to find out!!! Great group....great folks!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement