Front bearings - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Wheels, Suspension and Brakes
Everything to do with wheels, tires,
suspension, forks and brakes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-04-2007, 11:38 PM Thread Starter

Front bearings

Next week I hope to upgrade to new progressive springs. It all started when my dust seal decided to ride up my fork. I had noticed for some time that both dust seals were disintegrating. I had figured water had gotten under there or the seal had just given up. My 95vn750 has less than 10,000 miles and after joining this group less then a month or so ago I decided to stop paying crazy repair bills. I have some experience working on cars so I decided to give this a try albeit with the wisdom from this collective. So while the dust seals have to go I might as well upgrade the springs. The seals are not leaking in the least but might as well do those to. Needless to say there is a lot of information here on the springs and seals but I'm actually thinking I should also change the bearings in the front wheel. They are not that expensive and truth be told I would like to use some of the DuPont Performance lubricant XHTBDX my girl bought for me. It will be interesting to check this bearing again in another 10,000 to see if the lube makes a difference since heat kills bearings.
I replaced my tires about a thousand miles ago to Rt66's and had the brakes done both front and back but not the bearings. I found three posts here on messing with the bearings but no seems well versed in doing this. Can anyone help me? There is a list of necessary parts on one of the posts so I believe I have that covered.
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/VN750/message/38501

I just need guidance and am hoping someone here can lend a few words of wisdom. The funny thing is the only thing that kind of gets me excited about doing these bearings is being able to take off the wheel and polish it up! Iím a great polisher with dreams of being a pretty good VN750 maintenance person.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-05-2007, 09:38 AM
Geek

Where in Jersey are you ?

Ron from Jersey
2005 VN750
HellFire windshield
Kaw extended backrest
Cobra exhaust
Re-located stator wires
Side bags
15,000 Miles July/2012
It's PAID OFF ! May 2009
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-05-2007, 09:42 AM
Members who have donated towards server costs

Hi, Mike - The front wheel bearings are a pain in the rear, but they can be taken care of and you get all kinds of extra "shade tree mechanic" points for doing it!

Here's the deal: the instructions in Clymer's for removing the bearings are WRONG. HERE'S THE POST: https://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1614 I gave up, went to my car mechanic, and borrowed his blind bearing puller. They're in races, so once you get 'em out, a little bit of spit and polish on the inside of the hub and then you're ready to install the new bearings. I couldn't find a socket that was the size called for in Clymer's (something like 32mm? It was an odd size...), so tapped the races back in with a sledgehammer - but with a piece of wood on the race to soften the blow. Gotta go around the edges consistently so the race goes in as straight as possible. Now here's the other deal: once the race is seated, it'll feel like it's binding. I got freaked out, threw out one set of races and took the wheel to my moto mechanic (the only one I trust). He installed 'em in seconds - and they were still binding. When I asked about that, he said, "It's not a bicycle - there's a lot of weight moving on these, so they shouldn't be loose." I hadnt' considered that.

So, needless to say, I got 0 points for bearing installation; but I learned a lot in the process. If you follow the corrected approach, though, it's really not too bad.

C

Last edited by Crobins365; 08-05-2007 at 09:45 AM. Reason: Found link

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-05-2007, 05:05 PM Thread Starter

Thank you Cindy for your insight and trail blazing. I feel better knowing what I'm in store for. I'll ask a mechanic friend for his blind bearing puller. I'm thinking I'll tackle this on Wednesday or Thursday this week. Would be nice if I can get some pictures of this as well as my ten thumbs...lol
Mike
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-05-2007, 08:50 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnewell View Post
Where in Jersey are you ?
Sorry for not responding in my first post. I just got so caught up in Cindy's response to my question. I'm located in Mercer County but I hope to be moving to PA (Bucks County) in the not so distant future.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement