HELP ME!! w/ checking splines - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Wheels, Suspension and Brakes
Everything to do with wheels, tires,
suspension, forks and brakes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-28-2007, 07:10 PM Thread Starter

HELP ME!! w/ checking splines

So after hearing how anybody could do this, i think we finally found somebody that was able to mess it up. I got the rear tire out of there and then undid the four bolts to (what I think anyway) the final drive. So then I went to pull it off and it slides down about 2 inches and doesn't release and wont got back in at all. I'm going to go and try and take some pictures so you can see what i am talking about.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-28-2007, 07:22 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

So you pulled the rear wheel, got the tire and its associated parts off, were looking at the part of the final drive that meshes with the rear wheel. THen you pulled the four bolts and the drive unit just dropped without releasing? It may have come undone up at the u-joint - not a big deal. Also, see if the spring is where it's getting hung up coming off the shaft drive.

C
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-28-2007, 07:30 PM Thread Starter

yeah, after looking ahead in the direction i think it came undone at the u joint. Where is that spring located at? I'm not seeing one at all.

OK, after many, many attempts I can't figure out how to get the u-joint back together and i can't figure out how to get the final drive to release

Last edited by DougFunnie13; 07-28-2007 at 08:21 PM.

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-28-2007, 08:42 PM

The spring should be on your final drive at the drive shaft - see pic. Don't get too stressed about getting the u-bolt back together - the more you stress, the harder it is. You can get to the bolt by going in behind the front bevel gear case (where you'd be putting lithium grease) and can get a better look at where you're off from there. But, really, it happens all the time; just don't try to force it.

One question: Did you final drive actually release from the shaft at all??

C

Last edited by Crobins365; 08-29-2007 at 09:29 AM.
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-28-2007, 09:00 PM Thread Starter

After I took off those four bolts I then went to pull off the final drive. And instead of it coming apart like its suppose to the shaft just moved down a few inches. (pulled u-joint off) And now I can't get it to release or go back in. So to answer your question directly the final did NOT release from the shaft at all.

Any ideas on how to get it to release? Should it require a bunch of force to remove it?

Last edited by DougFunnie13; 07-28-2007 at 09:05 PM.
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-28-2007, 09:04 PM

That's weird, 'cause the u-bolt theoretically is a stronger point than that spring. Have you found the spring yet? Sounds like something's jammed up at that point - hit it with pb blaster, maybe, and see if that dissolves something.

You can also just give me a shout: 301.834.6555 - I'm heading downstairs to watch poker (woohoo! Big Saturday night!!), but I can try to talk you through it.

C
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-28-2007, 09:09 PM Thread Starter

nope, definately haven't found the spring yet. The final drive hasn't moved from the shaft at all.

Its too dark here now and I don't have a garage so I'm going to have to just try it again tomorrow. But it looks like I'm going to need some coaching then...
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-28-2007, 09:25 PM

Give a call tomorrow when you can see again - and if you can take a few pics, that'd be awesome. I'm guessing the spring is jammed in there between the sections. No worries - folks here won't let you down!

C
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-28-2007, 09:39 PM Thread Starter

here's two pictures i took. They aren't the greatest but maybe they will help

http://https://www.vn750.com/photopos...al_drive_2.jpg
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-28-2007, 09:40 PM Thread Starter

Last edited by DougFunnie13; 07-28-2007 at 09:43 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement