Too much time on my hands. - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Wheels, Suspension and Brakes
Everything to do with wheels, tires,
suspension, forks and brakes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-08-2014, 07:27 PM Thread Starter

Too much time on my hands.

Well, I dismantled the forks. Found the oil drained must have been contaminated with water intrusion, it froze in this weather. But finally did get the 12.4 oz out of both sides. I was thinking of putting Progressive wind springs back in. Too cold to work on it, and guess too much time on my hands; I researched what wind spring needed for my weight, weight on front tire, and style of ridding (cruising / Tour). Most calculations state .83 Kg/mm. Stock springs are .5 Kg/mm. Progressives' are #/in. So, converted stock springs are 28.58#/in. What is recommended for me is 47.22#/in. The max progressives are around 30#/in. Any suspension gurus out there to lead me to a 47#/in. spring. Progressive wind not needed as I would rather have performance over comfort.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-09-2014, 12:12 PM
Old Fart

Garage
I used standard length Progressive springs. The key to dialing them in is using the right amount of preload. Their springs are in fact longer than stock so you need to either cut the stock spacers down or make your own out of PVC.

They reccomend cutting the stock spacers to 7". If you want a stiffer front end cut them longer. If you want a softer fork, cut them shorter.
I cut mine to 7-1/4" and found it a bit stiff, but they felt good handling wise. I also used 15w fork oil. (I had a large windscreen in front)

In hindsight I might have done better with a bit more preload but a thinner oil (10w)

So I would suggest getting the standard Progressive springs, a bottle of 10w Bel-Ray fork oil and cutting three sets of PVC spacers at 6.5., 7 and 7.5 inches.
Try each out and see what works best for you.

If You Are Not Sure If I Am Joking or Not....I AM !!Photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/knifemaker1954/sets/
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-09-2014, 02:50 PM

Garage
I have a large widscreen as well and did the same thing as KM did.
I installed Progressive springs and cut the spacer a little longer than the instructions said to (7.25"). I also used 15W oil.

The spacers are easy enough to remove and replace when the forks are installed, so if it is necessary you can always cut them shorter as needed.
If you find they need to be longer at any point, just remove the stock metal spacers and replace them with a piece of PVC cut to length.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-09-2014, 05:02 PM Thread Starter

Thx KM and KC. I was thinking I had better use pvc as the metal spacers have a split in the seam at one end. The thin metal does seem inadequate for the force encountered, especially if I add more tension. PVC will not bend or compress. I have found a manufacturer for a circlip that fits exactly, so changing the spacers will be easy. I might try to reuse the stock springs, but replace the 10" spacers with 10.5" pvc and 10W oil. Will see how that goes, easy to change if not right. Thanks again you have giving me a plan to start with.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement