Front Tire not quite straight - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Wheels, Suspension and Brakes
Everything to do with wheels, tires,
suspension, forks and brakes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-07-2007, 01:36 AM Thread Starter

Front Tire not quite straight

Hey everyone. I noticed a slight problem with my bike when I was out riding tonight. The front tire points very slightly to the left; I need to keep my left hand slightly farther forward to make it ride in a straight line. Its not a huge deal, and seems to be only a slight "off-center-ness", but if it isnt hard to fix, i'd like to... I'm brand new to bike suspensions, but am pretty good at turining a wrench.

Thanks!
Dan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-07-2007, 02:41 AM
and the Adventure Cycle

It could be the forks slightly askew in the triple clamps, or it could be bent handlebars. As both will give the same feeling.

Are you sure the bars aren't bent?

If it is in the triple clamps, this is how I'd go about straightening it...
Put the bike on the centerstand.
Place a jack of some sort under the front of the engine (a piece of wood or something like that between the jack and the engine would be a good idea). Only lifting it until it makes firm contact, but doesn't really lift the front of the bike. (this is just to keep the forks from moving up or down in the clamps)
Loosen one bolt on each side of the triple clamps (there are two per side, one for the upper clamp, one for the lower).
The remaining bolt, just break it loose, then don't go more than about 1/4 turn.
You should be able to, ever so slightly, move the wheel/forks (while having someone holding the bars from moving) in the direction needed to straighten the wheel to the handlebars (hit the wheel to the riders right in this case). Some persuation may be needed (a rubber mallet or similar to the front of the wheel)

This can take several attemps before you're happy with the results.
JUST DON'T FORGET TO TIGHTEN THE BOLTS BEFORE YOU TAKE A TEST RIDE!!!

On the dirtbikes, when out on the trails, we pretty much just beat the wheel against a tree until it feel straight to the bars. But I wouldn't recommend that with the Vulcan.

Oh, and did I mention....
JUST DON'T FORGET TO TIGHTEN THE BOLTS BEFORE YOU TAKE A TEST RIDE!!!

The upper bolts get tightened to 14.5ft/lbs (174in/lbs)
The lower bolts get tightened to 18 ft/lbs (216 in/lbs)

AKA: Tim & 'The Adventure Cycle' VROC #24567, NEVROC, SteelCity VROC

"When life throws you curves,
Aim for the apex."

Author Unknown
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-07-2007, 04:50 PM Thread Starter

Thanks so much for your help! I went out this afternoon and took care of it. I ended up with the gf sitting on the passenger seat holding the handlebars for me to keep weight off the front wheel; I checked the alignment of the top of the forks to the triple tree (is that right?) before during and after to make sure nothing moved. It feels much better now on a short ride, but I'll take it out later to make sure all is well.

And yes, I made sure the bolts are tightened down.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-08-2007, 10:48 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

I know if a bike falls hard on one side or the other it has a tendency to twist the front forks a little. I actually twisted a Ninja 250's front forks back to square after our girl rider took a gravel spill in an intersection, by straddling the front wheel with my legs and twisting the handlebars back against my leg. Makes you wonder how they stay in one piece going 70.

Fergy
Kyle, TX VN750.com member #707 VROC#19556
2002 VN1500 Classic
Spline Lube Procedure, with photos, R/R Relocation and Coil Mod
Rusty Tank Cleaning!
Electrical Fault Finding Flowchart
SEAFOAM JUNKIE!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement