Wheels, Suspension and Brakes
Everything to do with wheels, tires,
suspension, forks and brakes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-04-2007, 01:43 PM Thread Starter
Rider on the Storm

Garage
Question front disc brake

I've very gradually become aware that my front disc brake has been losing its ooomph. Today I noticed that there was a little bit of brake fluid leakage from the cylinder cap even though the cylinder is level and the cap is very tightly screwed in. I also noticed that the fluid level through the window guage is about 1/3 down (near the "low" mark ~ there's no "high" mark as pictured in the manual). While I have almost 6,000 miles on the bike, and use the front brake a lot, I'm a bit surprised to have this crop up already on my 2006.

The manual warns me not to add the DOT 4 brake fluid if I don't know the exact brand that's already in there (it's the factory fluid) ~ rather, it suggests taking it to the dealer and having the brake fluid replaced and the lines cleaned out.

Any other explanation/advice out there?

EZC

Last edited by EasyRector; 07-04-2007 at 01:46 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-04-2007, 04:24 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

Charlie, you ready to bleed your brake lines?

I'd pull the cover off the MC and see what's going on with the diaphragm in there...seems like it shouldn't be doing anything untoward afte 6K miles, but ya never know. Any leakage down by the brake calipers themselves? There's a bleeder bolt on each caliper (should have a cap on it) - check and see if they're ok (no leakage). The thing is (if your answer to my first question is "no"), these brakes are theoretically a closed system - as soon as you pull any part (like the MC cover), you introduce air into the system. So you'll have to bleed the lines once you've done that. Having said that, however, seems like you've already got a reason to go in, bleed the lines, and see if you can get yourfluid level back to normal DOUBLE CHECK Clymer's on this, but I believe you can mix Dot 3 and Dot 4 - just not Dot 5 (which is a synthetic).

C
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-04-2007, 08:26 PM

Yes Cindy, you can mix DOT 3 and 4, but not 5 as it is sythetic and has a different boiling point. You can add DOT4 fluid even if you don't know what brand is in their now, they just want you to bring it to a stealership to make money off of you! With my big brake problem I always used the same brand, got it from Wal-Mart for cheap. If there isn't any fluid leaking from the bleeder valve then just add more fluid to ensure that you have enough.

The leakage problem out of the MC is normal, or so it is on mine. There is a pin hole on the outside edge of the MC, it is above that rubber diaphragm that will push the excess fluid out, a good thing.

Only thing I can suggest is to bleed them and ensure that there is no air in there, which is what it sounds like, and make sure that the MC is full and put the cover back on and you should be all set. With all of the crap I have gone through with my front brakes, that seems like that'll fix it. A '06 shouldn't be having this problem. Hope this helped.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-04-2007, 08:50 PM
HAWK

Send a message via Yahoo to Ccspinner
Our bike call for dot 4, that is what I have used.
The DOT # is the rating at how good it deals with humidity and still remains effective.
I want the best I can get, you don't have a back up.
I flush mine every 2 years.

Chad Falstad "Hawk"
Vroc #17649
2011 HD Ultra Classic "angel"
2001 Nomad 1500 Sold March 2012
2001 VN 750 "Sold June with 2008 with 21,000""Serinity"
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-04-2007, 10:49 PM
Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ccspinner View Post
Our bike call for dot 4, that is what I have used.
The DOT # is the rating at how good it deals with humidity and still remains effective.
I want the best I can get, you don't have a back up.
I flush mine every 2 years.
That's good advice !

Ron from Jersey
2005 VN750
HellFire windshield
Kaw extended backrest
Cobra exhaust
Re-located stator wires
Side bags
15,000 Miles July/2012
It's PAID OFF ! May 2009
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-12-2007, 08:34 PM Thread Starter
Rider on the Storm

Garage
update

I took my bike into the dealer for the 6000-mile basic maintenance. For one thing, they wiped out the Bel-Ray lube I had coated the splines with last fall and re-coated them with the Honda Moly 60 I provided. (Well, I didn't actually SEE them do it, but moly was missing from the tube when they returned it to me!)

Then they changed out the brake fluid completely (bleeding the hoses, etc.). Even so, the fluid level still seemed low when I picked it up, and the front disc brake still didn't seem to grab with the same gusto I recall when the bike was new.

So...

I went to Autozone and the closest product they had to basic DOT 4 brake fluid was a Valvoline synthetic DOT 4 that: 1) exceeds the standards for both 3 & 4, and 2) is compatible with/can be mixed with conventional brake fluid. That's what I used to top the MC off; it only took a tiny bit ~ I think that part of the problem is that my MC is not quite level (it's close), but I was unable to lvel it completely because the tube leading down from the MC hits the handlebar when I roll the MC/brake lever forward. I didn't bleed the hoses.

I guess everything's OK. For some reason I remember the front brake being so responsive that it would practically throw me over the handlebars if I gave it a good squeeze. Now there's more play in the brake lever, and it doesn't seem to clamp down as tightly. I don't feel unsafe, but it makes me wonder.

EZC

post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-12-2007, 08:43 PM
HAWK

Send a message via Yahoo to Ccspinner
With a new bike the brakes do hav a brake in time.
You must have hit that and they are now grabbing normal, When they are new they do grab fast.
The older brakes get they start to glaze and wont work as good as new but it is ot bad.
We get that all the time with new cars at the dealer.

Chad Falstad "Hawk"
Vroc #17649
2011 HD Ultra Classic "angel"
2001 Nomad 1500 Sold March 2012
2001 VN 750 "Sold June with 2008 with 21,000""Serinity"
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-13-2007, 07:24 PM

Thats unusual?

Most new vehicles over here use DOT 5 as standard, for the past 3 years or so, i would have thought they did the same in the States?
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-18-2007, 10:42 AM
2FAS4U

Dot 5 is rarely used any more in the states.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-18-2007, 02:24 PM

Brakes

Hey GUY.............Your brakes should be as good as they were when you rolled out of the dealership if not better! If by chance your brakes feel a little bit "spongy" when you pull the lever, you most likely have air in the system & they need to be bled! If when you pull the brake lever & it feels hard & NOT spongy, you are probably OK. Again.....if not......bleed the brake system! You might also check the pads for wear if you as you say use the front brakes a lot more than usual. You need to have the best front brakes as possible as most of your stopping power is in the front. The rear drum brakes on these VN750's suck big time!

Tcat

2006 VN750
Splines lubed With TSMOLY 70
R&R Relocated
Marbled (Cat's eyes no less)
Digital Volt, Amp, Temp gauge (Kisan)
Pipes Drilled
Carb Adj. at 3 3/4
Polaris AGM Battery (190 CCA)
Kaw rear rack
Kaw front engine guard
National Cycle Street Shield EX W/S
Mobile 1 MX4T 10W40 oil (Now labled 4T Racing)
Purolator PL14610 oil filter (Painted)
Iridium Spark Plugs
Pulsating Brake Light (Kisan)

My Motto: Don't get mad, just get even. Trust me, I will get even!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement