Stripped Brake Bleeder Valve - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Wheels, Suspension and Brakes
Everything to do with wheels, tires,
suspension, forks and brakes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-21-2007, 10:33 PM Thread Starter

Stripped Brake Bleeder Valve

Hello all,

Problem: while bleeding the brakes on my '03 vn750, I stripped the right front bleeder valve and it will no longer tighten.

I' m not sure if it's the actual valve or the threads in the caliper. I planned on buying a new valve and trying that out. If it doesn't work, it should be the threads in the caliper, in which case I'm wondering if it would be a tap and die job or whole caliper replacement.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-21-2007, 11:01 PM

Are the threads damaged or is the hex on the screw stripped?
If you can still get a wrench or a socket on the bleeder and turn it you have probably stripped the threads in the caliper. Pull the bleeder screw out of the caliper and look at the threads on the screw and the caliper to see which threads are damaged. These do not need to be tightened with all the strength you have--just need to be snug. Tighten by hand or with wrench/socket until it stops then just a little more to keep it seated. A 1/4" ratchet and 10mm socket is best and tighten just using one hand on the ratchet--it's almost impossible to overtighten and strip the threads.
If the hex is stripped on the bleeder screw just take it to a local parts house and have them find you one.
I would not recommend tapping the caliper unless you tear the caliper apart and pop the piston out to thoroughly clean all the metal shavings after tapping it and put it back together. If the threads are stripped in the caliper you will probably have to tap it to the next size (bigger) bleeder screw that is available.

Last edited by racohoon; 06-21-2007 at 11:04 PM.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-22-2007, 08:51 AM
2FAS4U

Send me a PM if you need to replace the caliper. I have spares

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-22-2007, 10:29 AM

DO NOT TAP THE CALIPER! It's the worst thing you can do! It'll get metal shavings on the inside of the caliper and that will kill it. The metal shavings will eat away everything inside. I had this same problem not to long ago and Cindy sent me some new calipers!! As 2fas4u already said, he has some, get them from him and use your stripped one for parts. That's what I did.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-22-2007, 11:16 AM Thread Starter

Thanks everyone for your help....good advise and as usual.

I think I stripped the inside of the caliper. I'm going to replace it.

Man, I had to do this on one of the nicest riding days ever in the Northeast....
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-23-2007, 12:32 AM

Where in the Northeast you from? I live in NH and always looking for someone to ride with!
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-25-2007, 09:41 PM Thread Starter

Tyger,
I'm in Delaware - just a bit south of you. Thanks for asking. I hope you had some of the nice weather last week that we had here. Cheers and safe travels!
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-26-2007, 05:56 PM

Yeah it was pretty good. Got up to 95 degrees here today, that never happens! Well if I'm ever going to Delaware I'll let you know!
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-28-2007, 03:51 AM

Hey, I grew up in Dover, Del. It's always good to hear from people from my home state. The Air Force forced me to move to Nebraska. I hate it here. I wish I was home, but now my kids are in high school, so I am gonna wait for them to finish before moving back.

What town are you in byook?
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-07-2007, 02:57 PM Thread Starter

Just now saw your post Maj. Screwed. I'm in Wilmington - but I'm a transplant from the Rocky Mountains.

I also want to thank 2fas4u for the caliper. Works great and it was a great deal. I guess I learned my lesson about taking it easy on the bleeder valve - this whole screw up could have been a lot worse.

Ride safe all.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement