Just Installed Progressive Suspension - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Wheels, Suspension and Brakes
Everything to do with wheels, tires,
suspension, forks and brakes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-14-2013, 04:02 PM Thread Starter

Just Installed Progressive Suspension

After 25,000 miles my back was getting beatup. So after reasurch decited to upgrade. after talking with Progressive they reccommended 412-4207c Hds & stock dropin forks springs. total cost from JC Motors $275.00 with free shipping, Fork oil not cheep $16.00. I'm 6'5" and with full dress weight about 250lbs have about 50 lbs of accessories. 4" droped floorboards plus custom seat 4" inches higher, therefore I wantedto keep the stock height. Rear install a piece a cake Set the preload on 3. Tanks To Knifemaker it gave me a sage of 1/2inch. The forks were simple to dropin. I cut the stock spacer to exactly 7".used a mitersaw with a well lubed plywood blade ( tablesaw works well to,filed the burs ready to go. since fork seals were OK, I drained the fork oil, Did not remove forks from bike. just used a jack to lift the front, pumped a few times by keeping one hand on top of the tripple tree and one on the tire rim and pumped. I let the oil drain overnight.Now for the Fork oil, Progressive recommeded 10W. I measured the oil that came out 12+ oz. Shop manaual states on oil change volume should be between 10.48-10.82oz. Also note I cleaned the forks cyclinders with Brakekleen and compressed air. Now for the fill. I wanted a 9" oil level, first put in 101/2 oz way low Added 1 more oz still low Finally to get to 9" it took 12 3/4 oz. So much for manuals. Used a narrow tape measure to get to 9" safe range(according to manual is 8.65-9.45inches
Thanks to the many forum treats that show and tell how to do this it's not that hard.
Now for the test ride
WOW!!! what a difference, smooth. I put on 50 miles on secondary roads. On smooth pavement bike road very smooth no bumpy back seat. took in on a ruff road sill very smooth. I noticed to front forks a little stiff ( maybe to much oil) I will put on a few hundred miles before I fine tune
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-14-2013, 05:05 PM
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to OleDirtyDoc
Cool.gotta di some forks soon myself.have 412's on the back so might as well get some lowered springs for the front.

ONE RATS ASS GIVEN PER POST
Support your local FREEBIRDS MC
1986/5 Vn700/750 Frankenfook cross eyed bitch "Mellisa Fayhe"
I am a BIKER and i'm proud.FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY

lowered with progessive 412 10" shocks
rejetted for K/N Pods part#rc 2340
sportster seat

'I didn't lose my mind.i gave it away

BRING BACK WOLFIE."Peace and Carrots"RIP
"And I'm free...as a bird"John Lennon Free as a Bird
"I only carry when I have my pants on"Joe Robinson RIP aka Old Dog
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-14-2013, 06:06 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

Quote:
Originally Posted by OleDirtyDoc View Post
Cool.gotta di some forks soon myself.have 412's on the back so might as well get some lowered springs for the front.
what part number are those shocks? amazon has them as low as 210 bucks and free shipping with prime

85 700
V&H Cruzers
coastered&shaved
uni filters
coil mod
KC's led turn signal boards
clear alternatives led tail light
Wolfies forward controls
vn900 seat
AGM Battery
Iridium plugs
willie and max bags
plexifairing 3
14 inch apes

97 75
parts bike for now

He was the sort of person who stood on mountaintops during thunderstorms in wet copper armour shouting "All the Gods are bastards."

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-14-2013, 08:07 PM
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to OleDirtyDoc
Got mine at a yard sale.paid $40 bucks for the pair plus a pair of screaming eagle mufflers

ONE RATS ASS GIVEN PER POST
Support your local FREEBIRDS MC
1986/5 Vn700/750 Frankenfook cross eyed bitch "Mellisa Fayhe"
I am a BIKER and i'm proud.FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY

lowered with progessive 412 10" shocks
rejetted for K/N Pods part#rc 2340
sportster seat

'I didn't lose my mind.i gave it away

BRING BACK WOLFIE."Peace and Carrots"RIP
"And I'm free...as a bird"John Lennon Free as a Bird
"I only carry when I have my pants on"Joe Robinson RIP aka Old Dog
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-14-2013, 10:59 PM

how much better is the 412s than stock? i have progressives but they aren't adjustable. i thought about going back to stock shocks it i can find a set reasonably priced. sorry if i hijacked you're thread just thought this would be a good place to ask the difference since you guys have the progressives.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

2003 kaw vn 750 pushing 40,000 miles.
tp stator
dampers
coil relay mod
other stuff not listed
mustang seat
motorcycle repair at a stealership 1 million bucks, repairs with the help of the Vulcan750 forum priceless.

Last edited by emtdon; 12-15-2013 at 12:52 AM.
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-15-2013, 08:51 AM
2FAS4U

My front was a little stiff for me too. I shortened the spacer a small amount and it is much better.
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-15-2013, 11:22 AM
Members who have donated towards server costs

Quote:
Originally Posted by emtdon View Post
how much better is the 412s than stock? i have progressives but they aren't adjustable. i thought about going back to stock shocks it i can find a set reasonably priced. sorry if i hijacked you're thread just thought this would be a good place to ask the difference since you guys have the progressives.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App
asking is the only way to find out, im curious myself

85 700
V&H Cruzers
coastered&shaved
uni filters
coil mod
KC's led turn signal boards
clear alternatives led tail light
Wolfies forward controls
vn900 seat
AGM Battery
Iridium plugs
willie and max bags
plexifairing 3
14 inch apes

97 75
parts bike for now

He was the sort of person who stood on mountaintops during thunderstorms in wet copper armour shouting "All the Gods are bastards."
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-15-2013, 01:02 PM
Old Fart

Garage
I'll tell you the 412's on my bike made a big difference. (Didn't know progressive made a non adjustable shock, I thought ALL had at least preload adjustment)
Progressive springs in front too were a bit stiff, but after putting on the Plexistar2 it seemed better. My spacers were cut at 7-1/4 and I think I used 15w oil. Solo was a bit stiff but road alot better two up, which was the goal of all my efforts. I also added a Superbrace fork brace.
In hindsight I could have used 10w instead. I put in 11oz by the way, but didn't pour any cleaner in the forks. I didn't measure oil height.

Even if a little stiff solo, the bike felt much more planted on the road and the front didn't have that vague wallowing in tight turns.

Two up (combined weight 270lbs) the bike felt solid. To me it's worth the expense .

If You Are Not Sure If I Am Joking or Not....I AM !!Photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/knifemaker1954/sets/
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-15-2013, 01:09 PM Thread Starter

Rear Shocks Part #412-4207C Frok Springs 11-1128 JC Motors 412s $206.90 Forks $69.00

Last edited by Magnusvela; 12-15-2013 at 01:12 PM.
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-15-2013, 01:33 PM Thread Starter

Knifemaker; Just a FYI Progressive States That if you lengthen the spacer the Higher and stiffer the ride. They reccomend Cutting in 1/4" segments for fine tuning.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement