Front Brake swap - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Wheels, Suspension and Brakes
Everything to do with wheels, tires,
suspension, forks and brakes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-28-2013, 06:33 AM Thread Starter

Lightbulb Front Brake swap

I'm thinking of changing my front brake calipers, for a twin piston set off a 750 gpxr, looks like more contact area on the discs from the larger pads. The twin piston set up with it's large and small pistons, may work better than the factory set. Seems the doener bike was a bit of a racer, hence the "R" for race.
How's the opinions on this idea?

Who walks into the Lions Den, and comes out alive?
The Lion!
12 inch apes
1986 A3 series 750
Slash cut stainless mufflers
170 rear tyre
Custom cyane blue paint, wheels included
Relocated regulator rectifier
Solo mod
Stainless washable oil filter
Six pack rack
LED indicators and flasher unit.
Replaced CDI
Coasters
Penrite 10/50
Oil pressure hot at 1000 rpm 20 psi, 4000 rpm 60 psi
Shows 67000 kms
Jets 38 idle Mains 120 changed to 40 idle 135 main.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-28-2013, 07:57 AM
Members who have donated towards server costs

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Nick View Post
I'm thinking of changing my front brake calipers, for a twin piston set off a 750 gpxr, looks like more contact area on the discs from the larger pads. The twin piston set up with it's large and small pistons, may work better than the factory set. Seems the doener bike was a bit of a racer, hence the "R" for race.
How's the opinions on this idea?
May be better brakes but the ones on the front are more than enough for the tires these bikes run. If you do decide to change make sure to do a bunch of measuring,bolt placement ,offset from the center, disc thickness,and if your master cylinder is capable of pushing enough fluid to operate the twin pistons.

It would be iffy at best making the swap.but with enough time patience and money most obstacles can be over came.if it were me I would look at swapping the whole fork or at least the legs if they are the same diameter and length as yours.Might be easier and cheaper .
Plus you will be able to run the front wheel off the donor bike and possibly a better tire.

If your front brakes are not doing the job ,I would rebuild the stock calipers and master cylinder and see if they aren't as good as you need then.Maybe you could save money enough to tackle another project you want to do on your bike, Never ask for an opinion on here,they come unsolicited most of the time but since you did, there's mine.

If you see it on my bike I did it
VROC#30324
92 vn750(sold)
Current ride 05 1500 Classic FI
lovin' the new scoot

Quote:
"When all is said and done,usually more is said than done" UNK
Click on one x and drag to the other to read between them.

Psalm 40:1...
XI waited patiently for the Lord; and he turned unto me, and heard my cry. X
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-28-2013, 08:22 AM
2000 VN 750 Senior Member

Increasing brake capacity on the front of a VN 750 seems to be a bit counter to what several members have done in the past. Many have switched from dual to single discs on the front because they felt the stock brakes had too much grab when in proper working order. As mentioned in the previous post if you believe you need to increase the stopping ability of your particular ride you may have a potential problem with your bike and should check that out first before you put the time and effort to change it all out. This is all just opinion here right now as you asked for. Good luck with you decision and follow up.

and always remember, "Ride until you rot!"
**Really not sure if the Big "C" is back right now
but having to face the fact that this is a lifetime routine
going forward. Five operations done and it still continues.

Tom
Vulcan 2000
New ride: 2009 Victory Vision Arlen Ness Signature Series
4507 miles

Last edited by Vulcan2000; 11-28-2013 at 12:12 PM.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-28-2013, 10:43 AM Thread Starter

progressive.

I think these other brakes are a progressive design, suggesting that the smaller piston is more sensitive to pressure and applies quicker but less forcefully than it's larger partner, that presumably, takes a larger part of the load under extreme stop maneuvers. So from your knowledge concerning grabbing, and an over direct stopping application. Perhaps these units, being just a few years later in design, may well have been made to counter concerns of snatching brakes. The front wheel of the parts bike is a 17'', and I have found the factory Vulcan 19'' to be more my style, and comfort level. So now i think it's time for a closer look at the offsets and mounting arrangements, seems the replacements have a multi fit bracketing system, that may well come in handy.
I'll keep you posted on the outcome.

Who walks into the Lions Den, and comes out alive?
The Lion!
12 inch apes
1986 A3 series 750
Slash cut stainless mufflers
170 rear tyre
Custom cyane blue paint, wheels included
Relocated regulator rectifier
Solo mod
Stainless washable oil filter
Six pack rack
LED indicators and flasher unit.
Replaced CDI
Coasters
Penrite 10/50
Oil pressure hot at 1000 rpm 20 psi, 4000 rpm 60 psi
Shows 67000 kms
Jets 38 idle Mains 120 changed to 40 idle 135 main.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-28-2013, 12:09 PM

Garage
All I ever use is the front brake and my bike has more than enough with the factory setup. Couldn't imagine more braking power or being quicker.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-28-2013, 01:06 PM

Quote:
I think these other brakes are a progressive design, suggesting that the smaller piston is more sensitive to pressure and applies quicker but less forcefully than it's larger partner, that presumably, takes a larger part of the load under extreme stop maneuvers. So from your knowledge concerning grabbing, and an over direct stopping application. Perhaps these units, being just a few years later in design, may well have been made to counter concerns of snatching brakes. The front wheel of the parts bike is a 17'', and I have found the factory Vulcan 19'' to be more my style, and comfort level. So now i think it's time for a closer look at the offsets and mounting arrangements, seems the replacements have a multi fit bracketing system, that may well come in handy.
put an inverted front on mine with 4 pot calipers and 300mm disc from old zxr among other changes,doesn't look like i'll finish it any time soon since loosing job,otherwise i would let u know on stopping power.Try braided lines before changing originals.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-28-2013, 01:22 PM
Old Fart

Garage
^ what he said about braided lines.

Doing this I doubt you'll find any difference between the stock set up and what you propose. Brakes work by surface area, the stock units offer this above many others.
It's really about skill and training here. Those they think the stock brakes are too "grabby" just haven't spent the time training themselves how to use them, or how to brake properly in the first place.

If You Are Not Sure If I Am Joking or Not....I AM !!Photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/knifemaker1954/sets/
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-29-2013, 02:01 AM
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to OleDirtyDoc
I've seen this done on other bikes.if you need to custom make brackets for the calipers you can use the stock mounts as a base and then go from there.there's a guy called Fabricator Kevin outta Detroit that makes mounts for Harleys that bolt Japanese calipers to the stock Harley mounts.

ONE RATS ASS GIVEN PER POST
Support your local FREEBIRDS MC
1986/5 Vn700/750 Frankenfook cross eyed bitch "Mellisa Fayhe"
I am a BIKER and i'm proud.FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY

lowered with progessive 412 10" shocks
rejetted for K/N Pods part#rc 2340
sportster seat

'I didn't lose my mind.i gave it away

BRING BACK WOLFIE."Peace and Carrots"RIP
"And I'm free...as a bird"John Lennon Free as a Bird
"I only carry when I have my pants on"Joe Robinson RIP aka Old Dog

Last edited by OleDirtyDoc; 11-29-2013 at 02:03 AM.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-29-2013, 02:18 PM

Brake upgrade

Quote:
Maybe I am missing your point but I am curious as to why you want to upgrade the brakes. I will admit that what you describe is probably better that stock. What would be nice is ABS.

My 03 has the factory stock progressive brakes. Front and rear. If I need a little brake, I just donít squeeze as hard. The fact is, both front and/or back will lock up the tires without any problem, so in regular riding donít think you will notice much difference in braking. Here in CrAzyland you had better plan ahead for the unexpected, then expect to be surprised. I would look for better rubber on the ground for better braking. I went with a Avon Venom this time over the Kenda Kruz. More $ but much better traction. Both on the curves, where the pegs hit either way, and starting and stopping.

My stock pads have 19,000+ miles on them and plenty left. Kind of curious how many miles these will last?

No Brain - No Pain. I measure a man by the good he does for others, not his mistakes.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-05-2013, 09:31 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

I am 100% against ABS, for several reasons. One, they are controlled by a computer, and I don't believe a computer has any business on a motorcycle. Two, they take away my control of the bike. I want the bike to do what I want, not what a computer wants. Three, they are far from foolproof. I have seen many videos of bikes with ABS going down on slippery surfaces due to a loss of traction. ABS brakes may not completely lock, but they come close enough to cause the tires to lose traction on a slippery surface. Forth, many people believe they are foolproof, that you just apply the brakes as hard as possible and let the computer take care of things. MANY riders have crashed this way. Fifth, They are causing a lot of new riders to not learn proper braking skills, and a lot of experienced riders to forget the braking skills they once had.

As far as the Vulcan 750s brakes, it is definitely overbraked in front. I rode over 100,000 miles on Vulcan 750s, and never did get used to the grabby nature of the front brakes. It was like they were either on of off, nothing in between. I have never had this problem with any other bike, including ones with dual front discs. I've owned two Vulcan 750s, and they were both like that. IMO, it just took to much attention to avoid locking them up, and that they were dangerous in a panic braking situation. I'm one who removed one of my front brakes, now the brakes work just like every other bike I've ever ridden (about 45 of them) I did extensive testing in an unpopulated area before riding in traffic with my modified brakes, and found no problems. They were so much easier to modulate, and it was still easy enough to lock the front wheel (yes, you can do a stoppie on a Vulcan 750) I now have over 50,000 miles on this mod, and consider it proven. But I still won't recommend it. Do it at your own risk.

The Vulcan 750 has many known issues. I believe the front brakes are one of them. I think Kawasaki got a bit over zealous seeing just how much stuff they could cram on the Vulcan. Back when it was designed, lots of features were the big thing.

I am a motorcyclist, NOT a biker.

1997 Vulcan 750, purchased about a week ago
2006 Sportster 1200 Low
2013 Royal Enfield Bullet 500, converted to carb
2001 Yamaha XT225, heavily modified
2004 Honda Rebel 250
1979 Vespa P200E
2002 Vulcan 750 parts bike
1994 Yamaha XT225 parts bike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement