Better handling - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Wheels, Suspension and Brakes
Everything to do with wheels, tires,
suspension, forks and brakes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-01-2007, 11:44 AM Thread Starter

Better handling

After a lot of teething problems post rebuild, ( jetting, broken radiator fan mount, battery failure and other bits and pieces that either broke or came loose), Iíve been attempting to improve the handling of the stock VN suspension setup.

Iíd noticed that there was almost no damping coming from the rear shocks on my VN, so I decided to change the oil in them. Not a job I would recommend!!!! The only way to replace the oil is by draining it and then refilling it through the tiny aperture at the back of the slot that the air valve screws into. It took me over an hour per shock, just to drain the old oil and Iím sure I didnít get all the old stuff out. I used a dropper type of bottle to refill them with 5w fork oil and this PIA job took the entire day and then some to do. The shock needs to be filled and then drained of a specified amount of oil for the air chamber capacity. A very frustrating thing to do after filling the entire chamber a few drops at a time! The upside of all this was that the damping in the rear shocks feels a lot better now. I havenít added any air to them yet, but Iím thinking of trying 10psi to start and see how it feels.

Iíve also lowered the front end by 20mm, which helped the bike turn into corners a little better. I will probably reduce this to 10 or 15mm as Iíve noticed, by the wear pattern on the front tyre, that this setup seems to be using quite a bit more front tyre tread than before, and being only a 100/90 front tyre, Iíd rather not run the risk of losing the front end from running out of rubber on the road. Iíve also added some western style Ďbars which feel far more comfortable and better positioned for me and I think that the new handlebars and lower front end has generally improved the overall Ďstanceí and look of the bike as well.

Next on the list will be new steering head bearings and fork oil.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	newfront2.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	80.8 KB
ID:	416   Click image for larger version

Name:	new front.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	84.7 KB
ID:	417  

1986 VN750
Rebuild completed April '07
Pics here

2005 Z750
107 RWHP
Pic here
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-01-2007, 01:41 PM
Drive less, ride more...

Congrats, big-time....on a rebuild job obviously very well done!!!..............

Do keep us all updated on the results of your next changes......
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-04-2007, 11:09 AM

Very nice looking bike! Great rebuild. I have an 86 VN700 I am in the process of painting and doing some modifications on it. Are your back rest, lower forks and rear foot peg mounts painted or powder coated? Is your exhaust welded?

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-05-2007, 12:03 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by racohoon
Very nice looking bike! Great rebuild. I have an 86 VN700 I am in the process of painting and doing some modifications on it. Are your back rest, lower forks and rear foot peg mounts painted or powder coated? Is your exhaust welded?
The back rest, forks and footpegs have been painted, although I think powdercoating would've been better as there are some chips appearing in the forks and 'pegs already.
The exhaust headers have been made with a slide together balance pipe where the goats belly was and the mufflers are slip on type with removable baffles.

1986 VN750
Rebuild completed April '07
Pics here

2005 Z750
107 RWHP
Pic here
Sponsored Links
Advertisement