After a lot of teething problems post rebuild, ( jetting, broken radiator fan mount, battery failure and other bits and pieces that either broke or came loose
), Iíve been attempting to improve the handling of the stock VN suspension setup.
Iíd noticed that there was almost no damping coming from the rear shocks on my VN, so I decided to change the oil in them. Not a job I would recommend!!!! The only way to replace the oil is by draining it and then refilling it through the tiny
aperture at the back of the slot that the air valve screws into. It took me over an hour per shock, just to drain the old oil and Iím sure I didnít get all the old stuff out. I used a dropper type of bottle to refill them with 5w fork oil and this PIA job took the entire day and then some to do. The shock needs to be filled and then drained of a specified amount of oil for the air chamber capacity. A very frustrating thing to do after filling the entire chamber a few drops at a time! The upside of all this was that the damping in the rear shocks feels a lot better now. I havenít added any air to them yet, but Iím thinking of trying 10psi to start and see how it feels.
Iíve also lowered the front end by 20mm, which helped the bike turn into corners a little better. I will probably reduce this to 10 or 15mm as Iíve noticed, by the wear pattern on the front tyre, that this setup seems to be using quite a bit more front tyre tread than before, and being only a 100/90 front tyre, Iíd rather not run the risk of losing the front end from running out of rubber on the road. Iíve also added some western style Ďbars which feel far more comfortable and better positioned for me and I think that the new handlebars and lower front end has generally improved the overall Ďstanceí and look of the bike as well.
Next on the list will be new steering head bearings and fork oil.